PDA

View Full Version : Bugout Location?

ColdDeadHands
08-21-10, 22:08
Living in flat Texas and fairly close to the coast I'm thinking about buying a bug-out location...small piece of land somewhere in the mountains and build a cabin possibly with fallout shelter. I might even consider moving there all together....might be more cost effective.

To my question, what do you look for in a good bug-out location? Altitude, Game, distance from city, climate? Educate me. I'm thinking colorado...

sadmin
08-21-10, 22:42
When my father and I were looking, we stayed around Texas and not too far from a I45. We talked about that if there was ever a sudden need to get away, likely from the Houston area as it being a probable target due to the industry, that traveling would be extremely difficult.
We ended up settling on about 200 acres 15 miles east of Fairfield. We considered the proximity of a body of water, in our case Lake Fairfield, Richland Chambers, and some very large private lakes are within 15 miles of us. The Trinity River is 5 miles from us as a crow flies, so the game in that area is thick.

In your case, I would consider the realistic travel barriers you may encounter should you ever need to get away from the city. Air travel wont happen, and you better have beaucoup gas for that trip. Besides, we will need all the gun toting Texans we can get to fight off the maniac thieving illegals.

ColdDeadHands
08-22-10, 01:49
We live on 10 acres in the sticks currently and have 40 acres in Terlingua but that is a 12 hour drive. I'm really thinking Mountains...

Naxet1959
08-22-10, 06:22
Stay at least 120 miles from the nearest large cities... most folks will have around 2 hours drive time in gas in their car so this way you avoid the Golden Horde. Don't buy off of major roads, again for access or visibility. Water access would be major concern. Some people think a small community makes sense from the standpoint of mutual aid as well as trade. Remember also that you will need time and fuel to get from Texas to Colorado and roadblocks, unrest and other things will challenge your trip. Good luck in your planning...

crhoades
08-22-10, 07:46
Here is some reading material that should be what you're looking for:
http://www.survivalblog.com/retreatareas.html

Also, here are numerous podcasts if you're in the listening mood:
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/tag/bug-out-location

Hope this helps!

arbninftry
08-22-10, 20:42
Terlingua?
That is a real bugout location where you are at. I think Bugging in (or to there) would be a better plan than going to CO. If SHTF, driving will be crappy, and gas would be little. The roads and crowds, plus you already have mountains all around. Big Bend has resources there. You got a good site, unless you are worried about further cartel incursions.
If you are staying in TX and not relocating, Broken Bow, OK area is a game plentiful area and secluded. It can keep you from trying to travel to far post SHTF. And it is a feasible location on a tank of gas or so from Galveston, TX area. I am assuming that is your origination area.

sandsunsurf
08-23-10, 08:56
The problem with Terlingua and other desert locations is the lack of arable land. If you're considering a bugout location that is far away and away from the golden horde, then you're planning on how to survive a complete collapse (not just weathering a storm) so you have to be able to be completely self sufficient. There is also a lack of consistent and easy water. I'm not aware of many wells in Terlinqua that are shallow enough to be hand pumped. I've considered Terlingua, and I love the area, but for the reasons above and the fact that it's 24 hours drive time for me, it's out of the picture in all reality...

So to really answer your questions, here's my thought process:

How can I get there? Driving may be impossible or nearly so in the case of certain attacks. How many people will it take to safely stay there? Two people can't hold off many attackers. Can my other friends/family get there? Does the area have game, arable land, and water? Is it a defensible position? Other people in the area and will they be friend or foe?

My current situation is that I can't think of ONE place to bug out to, so I've got three different locations (friends and family) that we talked about being the choices, and if the choice has to be made we will choose the location based upon the then current circumstances. I'm actually concerned, too, that if I stock up one and only one place to go that somehow I won't be able to get there... You know how Murphy can be...

ColdDeadHands
08-23-10, 09:35
The problem with Terlingua and other desert locations is the lack of arable land. If you're considering a bugout location that is far away and away from the golden horde, then you're planning on how to survive a complete collapse (not just weathering a storm) so you have to be able to be completely self sufficient. There is also a lack of consistent and easy water. I'm not aware of many wells in Terlinqua that are shallow enough to be hand pumped. I've considered Terlingua, and I love the area, but for the reasons above and the fact that it's 24 hours drive time for me, it's out of the picture in all reality...

So to really answer your questions, here's my thought process:

How can I get there? Driving may be impossible or nearly so in the case of certain attacks. How many people will it take to safely stay there? Two people can't hold off many attackers. Can my other friends/family get there? Does the area have game, arable land, and water? Is it a defensible position? Other people in the area and will they be friend or foe?

My current situation is that I can't think of ONE place to bug out to, so I've got three different locations (friends and family) that we talked about being the choices, and if the choice has to be made we will choose the location based upon the then current circumstances. I'm actually concerned, too, that if I stock up one and only one place to go that somehow I won't be able to get there... You know how Murphy can be...

I agree completely. That's why I'm thinking about relocating altogether. To be honest all the 2012 hype has me a little concerned, while I don't believe it's going to be the end of the world I think some serious disasters are going to happen.

MarshallDodge
08-23-10, 10:28
Colorado would not be my first choice for bugging out, maybe if I could find something a long way from Denver.

THCDDM4
08-23-10, 11:13
PM sent.

THCDDM4
08-23-10, 11:25
Having different choices, or inhabiting you rbugout property full time are the best ideas. I had my place built up for about a year before we moved there; we love it 100X's more than the crappy City life we were used to. We splitt our time between there and the city, hopefully doing it full time in San Luis Valley soon

Even just having a small plot of land just outside of town you can hide on and survive on would be a great idea at the very least; if money and time won't permit better laid plans...

Von Rheydt
08-23-10, 20:22
A quick point that is not often mentioned.

A study was done, years back, and they discovered something interesting if there was an emergency of truly gigantic proportions that required evacuations and/or forced the movement of people.

They discovered that people will try to head for the place they go on vacation to or spend their weekend freetime. This is a basic psychological need of feeling safe and comfortable ........... which is how you feel on vacation. So, the upshot is, stay away from vacation areas, resorts and other popular outdoor locations.

Personally, I'd scope out a location to move to but initially I would bunker down and let the hordes run away causing gridlock, panic and confusion. Then when it was all quiet, depending on the event and situation I would look to move to my site.

Gramps
08-23-10, 20:33
In a SHTF situation, WHAT could happen from the border SOUTH? Could that have any impact on states bordering Mexico? What are those people capable of, and how far will they go to get what they want/need? SHTF, might not just impact the good old USA.

arizonaranchman
08-24-10, 13:17
Your zombie hordes...

Von Rheydt
08-24-10, 15:47
In a SHTF situation, WHAT could happen from the border SOUTH? Could that have any impact on states bordering Mexico? What are those people capable of, and how far will they go to get what they want/need? SHTF, might not just impact the good old USA.

When it come to life people are capable of most things. Remember the plane that went down in the Andes several years ago..........the crash survivors ate "long pig" to stay alive. I also know of a story concerning an SAS patrol that unwittingly ate tender rump of long pig.

MSP "Sarge"
08-24-10, 16:02
sandsunsurf

School me as to why I would need a shallow well vs. a deeper well to pump water by hand. How shallow does the well need to be. I have a well now but have been thinking about installing a shallow well.

Gary

Huntindoc
08-25-10, 11:53
I believe if evac a large Metro area you had better have more than one tank of gas to get somewhere. Remember hurricane Ike? It may only be a 2-8 hr drive if traffic is moving but most likely it will take 4-6 hrs plus just to make it past a place like Houston. If heading North on 45.... forget it.

If living on the coast in a less populated area. I would probably stay there. There are usually crops planted. Lots of wildlife including Fish. You can always build a desailinization still for water not to mention rainwater collection.

As for myself I will be heading to XXXXXXXXXXXX :secret::secret:and should do fine there with my family.

rudy99
08-25-10, 12:32
I believe if evac a large Metro area you had better have more than one tank of gas to get somewhere. Remember hurricane Ike? It may only be a 2-8 hr drive if traffic is moving but most likely it will take 4-6 hrs plus just to make it past a place like Houston. If heading North on 45.... forget it.

If living on the coast in a less populated area. I would probably stay there. There are usually crops planted. Lots of wildlife including Fish. You can always build a desailinization still for water not to mention rainwater collection.

As for myself I will be heading to XXXXXXXXXXXX :secret::secret:and should do fine there with my family.

Might help to invest in a large capacity fuel tank, if you have a truck: http://www.titanfueltanks.com/. You could set up to 52 gallons for a crew cab short bed Chevy, versus the standard 27-ish gallon tank. Your mileage may vary, literally.

You might also also have a contingency plan in case the SHTF is a result of an EMP. If that is the case, your vehicle won't be working in order to take you to your compound that is 100+ miles away. If you go to the expense to buy a retreat for this specific purpose (assuming it isn't also a lake house or hunting ranch or some other vacation-ish spot), you might as well purchase a vehicle made before they were packed with electronics.

As far as the house is concerned, better have well water, a septic tank, and a very large propane tank on site.

John W
08-25-10, 14:29
A quick point that is not often mentioned.

A study was done, years back, and they discovered something interesting if there was an emergency of truly gigantic proportions that required evacuations and/or forced the movement of people.

They discovered that people will try to head for the place they go on vacation to or spend their weekend freetime. This is a basic psychological need of feeling safe and comfortable ........... which is how you feel on vacation. So, the upshot is, stay away from vacation areas, resorts and other popular outdoor locations.

I've heard this study referenced a few times (probably on survivalblog) but can't find the original material. I'd love to see a link if you have one.

Personally, I'd scope out a location to move to but initially I would bunker down and let the hordes run away causing gridlock, panic and confusion. Then when it was all quiet, depending on the event and situation I would look to move to my site.

How do you plan on getting there? Unless your close by your retreat, or have a plane / pilot on hand, that may be a bit more difficult. Between criminal elements/police roadblocks and the starving/unwashed masses, long road trips may turn out to be a failure point in a grid down type of situation.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the issue.

Von Rheydt
08-25-10, 15:21
Moved

sandsunsurf
08-30-10, 09:54
sandsunsurf

School me as to why I would need a shallow well vs. a deeper well to pump water by hand. How shallow does the well need to be. I have a well now but have been thinking about installing a shallow well.

Gary

I don't know that I'll school you, I think maybe it's perspective. My Dad's well pump is at 1240 ft. That takes a 220V 3-phase motor to pump the water; I suspect physics would make it difficult to hand pump. By shallow I'm thinking less than a couple hundred feet, which is common. I'm not anything close to an expert, so by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

THCDDM4
08-30-10, 12:58
I have a deep well, was already on my property when I bought it and I didn't want to spend money on a shallo well, so I went a different direction.What I did was buy an in-line resevoir that Auto-fills from the well. The resevoir is just above my basement floor. It is (500) gallons, whenever it needs to be filled up more, the pump fills it up automatically; never allowing less than 400 hundred gallons to be stored in the tank. The resevoir has a hand pump as well as an electrical pump to dispense (and I could use gravity if those both fail, justa racking cane and some tubing would work). I have inline carbon, magnetic and UV filters as well. This is one way to ensure you have water even if electricity fails. I have solar and wind and a battery system, but if they all fail I at least have 400 gallons to work with and a still to re-purpose urine with. Plus a lot of water sanitation tablets just in case.

I also collect rain water from my roof via an elaborate system of gutters and small collection ponds in highly shaded areas. It works very well and I try to use all the rain water I can before I go to the well water; to save on energy used by the pump.

I bet with enough time on your hands and enough engineering/tooling around; you could rig a bicycle to a set of gears and hook it to a pump and step up the gears to get to the desired power out put and pump the water up with your legs manually; I'm sure it's possible, not sure how easy or efficient it would be though?

Von Rheydt
08-30-10, 15:37
The Romans managed to get water. I have seen aquaducts that run for over 50 miles taking water from mountains across plains and into cities. They used to make pipe out of lead also.

MSP "Sarge"
08-31-10, 23:16
sandsunsurf

I think mine would be considered shollow to some at 375 or so, but I have been told that some farmers here have 35 ft well. Does that sound posible? Wonder if you could hand pump at 35 feet deep? umm..

thcddm4

I like the idea of the resevoir. I am gonna look into that.

Thanks guys!

ucrt
08-31-10, 23:47
I had a well that for a house I built years ago that (if I remember correctly) was 200' but the water level inside the casing was like 35'. The jet pump suction went down 160'. It was a 110/220V motor.

I had an great Aunt that had a hand pump and it was 20' but you had to have a gallon or so to "prime" it.

sandsunsurf
09-01-10, 14:59
sandsunsurf

I think mine would be considered shollow to some at 375 or so, but I have been told that some farmers here have 35 ft well. Does that sound posible? Wonder if you could hand pump at 35 feet deep? umm..

thcddm4

I like the idea of the resevoir. I am gonna look into that.

Thanks guys!

Again, I'm far from an expert, but I did find a chart of hand pumps, and the maximum head was 200+- feet, with a small diameter pipe and a short throw (max leverage). Also, for windmills I found that if the well is over 325 or so feet it was recommended to have a heavy duty cylinder.

I'm looking more and more at places that have a natural year round stream and/or higher lake or reservoir. If I can find a place that backs up to a mountain, I also have a high ground advantage and one less direction to have to look... I recently found a small town of a couple hundred people that is at the bottom of a canyon with a year round stream and a 10 or so surface-acre reservoir at the top of the canyon. That is their municipal water supply, and being that they are pretty remote, I think that most residents would band together to keep water flowing and protect the area, in an event of large scale infrastructure collapse. I'm still looking for places and planning, and I still believe that I need more than one plan... But this place is on the short list of places to go, and gives you an idea of things I have thought about.

Von Rheydt
09-01-10, 15:20
Moved