PDA

View Full Version : Help! Sig P6 parts failure... ?

Bobert0989
08-21-10, 22:35
Is this a common failure for a Sig Sauer P6?

Stripped it down and went to cleaning (2-months not fired)...
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/DaddyBS/PIC_0328.jpg

Found this:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/DaddyBS/PIC_0331.jpg

Closer shot:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/DaddyBS/PIC_0333.jpg

What caused this? Is this cause for concern? Should I check any other parts to verify it's not been damaged elsewhere not noticed?

I don't know how long it's been this way, I've honestly never actually checked that meticulously but I've had around 300 rounds thru it personally.

Is this a common failure?

Thanks

Bobby

tr1kstanc3
08-21-10, 22:51
When was the last time you changed your recoil spring? It looks like the guide rod is taking harsh punishment for it to crack in that spot most likely due to a weakened recoil spring. I've never had that issue on my Sig but I would recommend getting a new recoil spring/guide rod.

Entropy
08-21-10, 23:06
All guns have parts break with time. I've never seen a guide rod crack that way, but it could be related to a weak recoil spring. Keep it changed out every 5000rds or every 3-5 years depending on its use.

New recoil spring guide for P225 9mm is about $10. Parts kit for servicing is $20.

Bobert0989
08-21-10, 23:11
I have no way of knowing how many rounds were thru it before I purchased it, but I count at least 6 (maybe 7) boxes since I've had it...

So what exactly should I replace and where should I order them from?

I just didn't expect to see a failure like this from my Sig... but I guess it happens to the best of 'em!

Thanks

Bobby

EDIT: I've never changed/replaced any parts on this gun

pcf
08-21-10, 23:24
If it were my pistol, along with the guide rod I would replace

slide catch spring
decocking lever spring
trigger bar spring
recoil spring
inner and outer slide roll pins
These are all parts that come in a parts kit.

Along with proper lubrication, replacing the recoil spring and slide roll pins every 5,000 rounds is probably the best thing you can do to extend the life of your pistol.

Bobert0989
08-21-10, 23:39
If it were my pistol, along with the guide rod I would replace

slide catch spring
decocking lever spring
trigger bar spring
recoil spring
inner and outer slide roll pins
These are all parts that come in a parts kit.

Along with proper lubrication, replacing the recoil spring and slide roll pins every 5,000 rounds is probably the best thing you can do to extend the life of your pistol.

So where's the best place to order the kit? Found some on Sig's site, but they do not list the "P6" as an available model... will the P225 parts kit work? Also, I don't think it included the guide rod and I didn't see them on there anywhere... any other ideas?

Does Grant stock these kits?

Anjin-san
08-21-10, 23:43
Try www.topgunsupply.com for Sig parts.

pcf
08-22-10, 00:55
The p225 kit will work.

Top Gun Supply
OMB Police Supply
Sig Sauer
Brownells

Bobert0989
08-23-10, 04:01
Thanks guys, my kit should be here by Friday. Guess my "baby" has had quite a bit of range time before my own reign began...lol.

I appreciate the quick help and links.