PDA

View Full Version : M&P 9mm - 5" vs 4.5" barrel (to L or not?)

Hmac
08-22-10, 09:29
I had my dealer order me an S&W M&P 9L, now I'm second-guessing myself about whether or not I should have him switch it to the standard 4.5 inch barrel length. It's going to be for courses and local pistol steel shoots/3 gun. Not for concealed carry. Prior to this gun, the pistol I've been using for that stuff is a .40 SIG P229, and I have a PPS for concealed carry on the occasions when I do that.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons of the standard vs long-slide versions of the M&P 9mm....?

willowofwisp
08-22-10, 09:49
I have both a 9L and a standard. I like the increased sight radius of the long slide.

in terms of recoil they both feel the same to me IMO.

the 5" will yield higher fps from your loads so you may be able to hit PF with lighter loads

Beat Trash
08-22-10, 13:30
I am issued a fs M&P 9mm. Shortly after they came out, I bought a M&P9L. I was planning on using the L for "fun shooting", local plate matches, ect.

What I found was that when shooting steel or running through the current "tactical course" that is set up at my department's range, I really didn't notice that much difference between the two guns.

I even went so far as to shoot them side by side. When put on a timer multiple times, my split times weren't that much different. Some times the full size was a bit faster, sometimes the L was.

I could notice a little difference in the balance, but not much. I have so much trigger time with the full size gun that I preferred the balance of it over the L.

I sold off my M&P9L.

To the OP, I would handle both side by side, then buy which ever one you prefer the balance of.

chubs
08-22-10, 17:44
I've got a buddy who picked up a 9L awhile back. He absolutely loves it and this is from a die hard Glock guy.

orionz06
08-22-10, 23:12
I have both, the 4.25" feels slightly faster to me, but I love the 5". The only limitations of the 5" appear to be the sights, but most preferred sights are available for them.

RyanB
08-23-10, 01:09
I have the L but prefer the balance of the standard model.

rathos
08-23-10, 01:39
I bought the 9L and now I am going to buy a regular FS slide barrel and guide rod. I think all together it will be a bit over $300. I considered just picking up a 9mm FS but I have spent a lot of time breaking in the trigger and don't want to worry about having to qualify with another gun.

DocGKR
08-23-10, 04:39
Which one do you carry on a daily basis?

If you carry the M&P9 FS, then also train with it...

Beat Trash
08-23-10, 12:24

BINGO!!!

This is why I sold off my M&P9L. It was a good gun, but felt "wrong" as I was used to the balance and feel of the M&P9 fs (my issued pistol).

willowofwisp
08-23-10, 12:32
The one thing i noticed between the 9L and standard is its not like the glock 34/35 and 17/22...there really isn't a huge shooting difference between teh two, not enough where i can tell at least. while shooting the 17/22 and transitioning to the 34/35 i can tell an obvious difference in both recoil and how much faster i am back on target.

MarshallDodge
08-23-10, 12:36

He said that he carries a PPS so I guess he should be training with that. ;)

DocGKR
08-23-10, 13:10
Exactly. Unless it is a pure game gun, train with what you carry...

Hmac
08-23-10, 15:21
I rarely carry anything. If I do, it's the PPS, sometimes the P229. This M&P is a game gun.

Boris
08-23-10, 22:46
Enjoy your game gun and stop second guessing your purchase.

I've had my M&P9 fs for years and love it. Seen a LOT of L/Pros on the line at matches and they love theirs.

Beat Trash
08-24-10, 01:21
Exactly. Unless it is a pure game gun, train with what you carry...

If you know going in that the gun in question is a game gun, then go for Broke. There's nothing wrong with that.

If you decide that life is not a game, and the gun in question is for personal defense, then carry what your train with.