PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Fighting AK sling and why?

cmdr249
06-30-07, 12:42
What is your favorite, practical fighting AK sling and why?

MH64
06-30-07, 12:53
Leaning towards a Blue Force Vickers with HK hook.

Robb Jensen
06-30-07, 13:14
Leaning towards a Blue Force Vickers with HK hook.

That's how I have mine setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/b0105530.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/1621edb1.jpg

NCPatrolAR
06-30-07, 13:21
Vickers, but using MI sling mount on railed forends on both my AKs.

cmdr249
06-30-07, 13:33
Good to hear so far - I was leaning towards the VCAS with buttstock adapter for the solid wood buttstock.

Thanks for the info and opinions, please keep the info. coming...

militarymoron
06-30-07, 14:52
BFG VCAS with my own WECSOG rear receiver sling loop and a sling stud on the handguard.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/mmak.jpg

TOrrock
06-30-07, 14:57
I would not get the HK sling hook set up....sacrifice an AK sling for the D-ring and hook that is on it, and use that, it will "hang" much better than the HK hook.

Robb Jensen
06-30-07, 15:00
I would not get the HK sling hook set up....sacrifice an AK sling for the D-ring and hook that is on it, and use that, it will "hang" much better than the HK hook.

So you don't like the 'angle of my dangle!' ;)

Cameron
06-30-07, 20:53
The Blue Force Gear Vickers sling is a great sling for any rifle.

M4, FAL, Pump Shotgun, Semi Shotgun all have the Vickers sling... I don't have an AK... they are commie guns!

Cameron

Business_Casual
06-30-07, 21:04

This is a good set up; I've used the AK d-ring approach with my Vickers sling as well.

M_P

Jay Cunningham
06-30-07, 23:19
BFG VCAS with my own WECSOG rear receiver sling loop and a sling stud on the handguard.

Nicely done!

armakraut
07-01-07, 01:49
Not much of an introductory post, but here I go...

I'm aurang and I hang out mainly on the AKforum with a lot of the other AK aficionados around here. I've always admired the original Armalite/Dutch AR-10's and hope that some day the .308 AR's get a restoration of their former undeadable glory.

I've messed around a bit with trying to find a tactical sling that is satisfactory on an AK. I eventually settled on an IDF galil sling (2-point) for comfort. The newer models with the plastic hooks work OK, but the older metal ones seem to be able to move with the same freedom that the standard AK sling has. The new style sling hasn't failed me though, so I could just be something of a worry wart in this regard.

Galil slings are a bit wider than any Combloc or US designed sling and they make even heavier AK's seem lightweight. Just for kicks, find a friend with an IDF sling and grab your best western or combloc sling. Grab your sling and extend your arm out with the middle part of the sling resting in the palm of your upturned hand. You're basically slinging the rifle on your palm, in a position somewhat like the old mauser advertisement below. Try the same with the IDF sling.

http://www.collectorgrade.com/shop/media/mauser.jpeg

I took an AK specific class from Gabe Suarez not too long ago, and his philosophy regarding slings/weapons was a good amount of commonality in training with firearms. Most slings on AK's and other rifles (provided the AK has a sling... or a buttstock for that matter) will be a plain 2-point, so we learned how to make due with that in the transition to a pistol. Suarez ran a good, practical class with no theatrics, or other misc BS.

3-point slings and the IDF sling (when used as a tactical sling) are kind of magic/tragic devices with me in a transition and I don't imagine a 1-point is any better. The rifle will fall nicely out of the way in the correct manner most of the time... and the other times I hope nobody got photographs of the disaster.

h8mtv
07-01-07, 07:51
Nicely done!

Really NICE!

militarymoron
07-01-07, 14:51
thanks guys - i'm a lefty, and there aren't many sling solutions for the AK that work for me.

lionhart
07-01-07, 16:59
I use all Blue Force Slings on my AK's, with the Mash Hook, rather than the H&K Style.

Regardless on what one chooses to mount the Sling, the quality of their Slings are the best I've encountered anywhere.

LonghunterCO
07-02-07, 10:17
This looks interesting. What if you were to drill through the receiver, place a nut on the back side, and then notch the lower handguard (if necessary) to clear?

militarymoron
07-02-07, 22:51
This looks interesting. What if you were to drill through the receiver, place a nut on the back side, and then notch the lower handguard (if necessary) to clear?

not sure i'm following you there, longhunter. this for the back or front, and what needs to clear?

LonghunterCO
07-02-07, 23:03
Sorry. The front sling attachment, is that screwed (or bolted) into the wood of the forearm? I was just thinking that it might be more secure if it was anchored into the sheet metal of the receiver. At that point a nut on the inside of the receiver may need the rear of the lower handguard notched to clear the nut.

- by the way I love that look of that AK. You have the retro look of the wood forearm with the modern grip, buttstock, and sling.

militarymoron
07-03-07, 09:39
ah, understood. there isn't any space to put a front sling mount in the receiver - the front trunion block is right there in front of the magazine well.
it took me long enough to drill through the receiver and aluminum folding stock internal receiver block with my hand drill.
you're right that putting a sling stud in the wood might not be as secure, but it goes pretty deep. it's a polish laminated handguard, plus i bonded it in, so it might be a bit more secure than non-laminated wood (i'm thinking). originally i had the front sling attached forward of the handguard, but didn't like it there.

LonghunterCO
07-03-07, 17:09
There is about .3" clearance from the bottom of the trunnion to the bottom of the reciever (on the 74' trunnion I have on my bench).
You know what might work even better. In a build you pull the barrel and replace the rivets with new ones: head on the outside and tail smashed on the inside of the trunnion. If you were to place a countersunk machine screw from the inside of the trunnion and had it extend through the reciever with a nut ... what type of attachment point are you using?

militarymoron
07-03-07, 22:01
... what type of attachment point are you using?
for the rear?

Snake RAH
07-03-07, 22:25
The stock commie sling (web, not leather) is fine with me.

If running a Vickers, I recommend removing the front Fastex buckle attachment, and either using a mash hook or HK hook. Inadvertently grab the sling at the buckle, and find yourself dropping a rifle.

LonghunterCO
07-04-07, 07:16
for the rear?

On the front. Does that sling point swivel.

militarymoron
07-04-07, 09:17
it's an uncle mike's wood screw sling stud - same type used for attaching a sling to the rear of bolt action rifle stocks. it's got about 1" of thread. it doesn't swivel.