PDA

View Full Version : Sordins cutting out after swapping to new Gel inserts

Kisara
06-30-07, 15:44
I was at an HK training class in CA last week and used my 1yr old Sordins. This was my first time using the new gel insert upgrade. The range was outdoors with no shade, with ambient temperatures in the 90F range.

After about one hour, my Sordins turned off by themselves. I was surprised and wondering if the batteries were going dead. I reached up and hit the power button, got the "beep" and they turned on and worked fine for about 5 minutes. Then they turned off again, and every time I tried turning them on I heard the beep then they immediately shut off, never fully coming on again.

After the class I swapped out a new set of batteries, but the headsets never turned on again. I swapped a third pair of batteries, using a different brand (Duracell). They now turned on, so I figured the first two pairs of batteries must have just been dead.

I'm in Nevada now for more training, and the class was held at a range in the desert on the outskirts of east Las Vegas. Outdoors in mid-90s, but with shade over the bench area, so the only time I was in direct sunlight was changing/patching targets every ten minutes or so. Again, the Sordins turned off by themselves, working again for a few minutes when turned on again manually, then turning off for good.

The new gel inserts come with replacements for the inside foam padding. This new style pad (at least on mine) has a thin layer of blue material on the outer ear-side of the foam, with a bunch of holes cut into the blue part. I'm wondering if these newer generation are allowing too much moisture in from ear sweat? I'll have to try swapping my original gray foam pads in with the gels and see if the Sordins keep shutting off.

I did look inside the batterie compartment and cap, as well as inside the ears, and don't see any visible corrosion or moisture around the electronics. Funny thing is now that I'm back in the hotel, the Sordins (with the same Duracells) are now turning on fine. Heat shut-off?

rob_s
06-30-07, 16:01
For whatever it's worth I've never had my Sordins cut out, even shooting in 90+ degree weather with ungodly humidity down here in South Florida. Typical for me is a 4+ hour IDPA match.