PDA

View Full Version : Glock 35 or M&P full size 40

number1olddog
08-22-10, 20:40
I have a compact M&P 40 and a glock 23. I am looking a getting a full size model and can't decided between the two. I don't really want a G22 and the G35 is appealing. I think both pistols are great but I guess what I need is the final nudge. So if you could have one or the other which one would you pick? :help::help:

chriskc04
08-22-10, 21:13
Whichever one I shoot better.

dc202
08-22-10, 21:32
I have an M&P 40c. I also sometime use it with the full size magazine and the Xgrip setup. I don't see much advantage to going to the full size version of this gun over the compact, given that I can use the regular mags in the compact and get pretty much the same feel, albeit in a shorter barrel. The Glock 35 would be a very different feeling gun. So, it depends on what you are looking for.

Urabus23
08-22-10, 22:35
How about the M&P Pro 40 with the 5" barrel? I'm not sure if they're out yet though.

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-22-10, 22:35
For a competition gun I would lean towards the 35, but otherwise I'd choose the M&P especially in the .40 cal. I feel that the M&P has a stronger track record in the .40 than the Glocks, and I have not heard of any issues on the M&Ps when running the surefire X series weapon lights, which is a huge plus in my book.

GU

MarshallDodge
08-22-10, 22:43
I would pick the M&P40 for being the best "all around" gun.

DocGKR
08-23-10, 04:41
No doubts at all--M&P40 FS w/4.25" barrel and Apex Duty Kit.

MichaelD
08-23-10, 05:33
No doubts at all--M&P40 FS w/4.25" barrel and Apex Duty Kit.

This.

chriskc04
08-23-10, 05:42
I'd choose the M&P especially in the .40 cal. I feel that the M&P has a stronger track record in the .40 than the Glocks, and I have not heard of any issues on the M&Ps when running the surefire X series weapon lights, which is a huge plus in my book.

GU

This is true.

Buck
08-23-10, 05:44
35 W/ an X300, heine straight 8 ledge slant pro sights, a vickers magazine release, and a grip plug...

deuce9166
08-23-10, 07:55
35 W/ an X300, heine straight 8 ledge slant pro sights, a vickers magazine release, and a grip plug...

+1, great set up.

SWATcop556
08-23-10, 08:44
What is the intended role of the pistol?

bleaman225
08-23-10, 08:54
What is the intended role of the pistol?

^^^^^^^^^^ This

bleaman225
08-23-10, 08:57

This is the exact setup I have on my G23.

I still think the OPs intended use is important for us to decide for him what gun to buy...

ck1
08-23-10, 10:49
I'd go with the G35 (although barely used G22's which are 99.9% as good practically grow on trees for less than $400), just a great gun and there's just so much that can be done to it later on if you want to, both cheaply and easily. They're about as bomb reliable as a gun can get, and it's highly unlikely you'll ever have any trouble with it unless you start messing with reduced power striker-springs and such (even then 1000 other guys out there will have no doubt gone down that path before so you'll be able to fix your error if you do).
Also, in the case of a G35, if you ever choose to sell it, on the used market you're talking a matter of hours to find it a new home and you won't get beat up too badly either.

If your hands are much smaller than average then the smallest back-strap on the M&P might be better, or maybe if you're a lefty and the ambi-ness is important to you, but IMO those would be the only reasons to go with the M&P over the Glock.

If you go M&P the chances that you will experience a parts breakage go up significantly, and you pretty much MUST drop another $100 to pick up the APEX DCAEK kit to get the trigger into the same ballpark as a G35 will be in after only 15 minutes worth of polishing with a $.25 trigger job (and still the M&P reset will remain fairly poor and have nothing on a Glock's).

A G35 is an attractive option and won't be out-classed whether it's mission will be duty, home defense, range toy, IDPA, IPSC, EDC (hey, it's still smaller and lighter than a 5" 1911) or all-of-the-above... I like M&P's too, but can't say the same about an M&P40 is all.

number1olddog
08-23-10, 11:09
Thanks for the replies everyone. This will be primarily for 3 gun so I guess I will go with the G35.

Thanks.

DHart
08-28-10, 14:11
If you go M&P the chances that you will experience a parts breakage go up significantly, and you pretty much MUST drop another $100 to pick up the APEX DCAEK kit to get the trigger into the same ballpark as a G35 will be in after only 15 minutes worth of polishing with a $.25 trigger job (and still the M&P reset will remain fairly poor and have nothing on a Glock's).

A G35 is an attractive option and won't be out-classed whether it's mission will be duty, home defense, range toy, IDPA, IPSC, EDC (hey, it's still smaller and lighter than a 5" 1911) or all-of-the-above... I like M&P's too, but can't say the same about an M&P40 is all.

I've got a number of Glocks which I like very much (19, 23, 29, 30, 21SF, 26) and only one M&P, the M&P40C.

My M&P is one of the early ones which had a lot of mag dropping problems, but I'm sure that issue is behind us now on M&P's.

I love the form factor and capacity of my G23, but don't like the feel when shooting it. My M&P40 feels great but capacity isn't so great.

I would like to get a G22 Gen4 or an M&P40 FS. I'm leaning toward the M&P, but with my Glock history, feel either choice would be fine.

After reading this thread, I'd like to know more about the higher likelihood of parts breakage on the M&Ps... more comments, please. Thank you.

ck1
08-28-10, 14:51
After reading this thread, I'd like to know more about the higher likelihood of parts breakage on the M&Ps... more comments, please. Thank you.

The M&P's are on their 5th version of their striker design, lots of breakages out there, I broke 4 over 2 different M&P's myself, I'd get the latest one for a carry gun for sure.
The other thing is the extractors, if you get a bad one the pin they use is put in by a 25,000psi press, they're a bitch to fix yourself so it'll probably have yo get sent in if you are so unlucky...

You can almost get Glock parts at wallymart and they pretty much don 't break (excepting the gen4's which are looking like a nightmare as there are reports of their recoil assemblies coming apart and seizing up guys guns)...

Palmguy
08-28-10, 15:37
The M&P's are on their 5th version of their striker design, lots of breakages out there, I broke 4 over 2 different M&P's myself, I'd get the latest one for a carry gun for sure.
The other thing is the extractors, if you get a bad one the pin they use is put in by a 25,000psi press, they're a bitch to fix yourself so it'll probably have yo get sent in if you are so unlucky...

You can almost get Glock parts at wallymart and they pretty much don 't break (excepting the gen4's which are looking like a nightmare as there are reports of their recoil assemblies coming apart and seizing up guys guns)...

While that is a relatively severe issue to have, I'm not sure that the likelihood of that occurring is all that high; not at the level to characterize the Gen4s as a "nightmare".

ck1
08-28-10, 16:19
While that is a relatively severe issue to have, I'm not sure that the likelihood of that occurring is all that high; not at the level to characterize the Gen4s as a "nightmare".

IMHO, if your sidearm may get locked up to the point where you need to knock out pins to even get it disassembled, I'd sure be a nightmare if it happened to a guy under fire.

Palmguy
08-28-10, 16:27
IMHO, if your sidearm may get locked up to the point where you need to knock out pins to even get it disassembled, I'd sure be a nightmare if it happened to a guy under fire.

I agree. That's not my point though.

Any mechanical device has the potential for failure. One of the failure modes of the Gen4 is a failure of the recoil spring assembly. The consequence of that failure is high, but the probability of that failure occurring doesn't seem to be that high. Plenty of people have Gen4 Glocks that haven't launched their recoil spring out the front of the gun. All I was taking issue with was the characterization of the entire line as a "nightmare" because of a relatively uncommon occurrence...I'm just not sure that's a completely fair statement. Just my opinion. Sorry for the threadjack.

DHart
08-28-10, 16:50
Palmguy... not a hijack... I appreciate all the input. The 22 Gen4 is still way too new for me to jump in it just yet. Just to be more confident, personally, I would probably wait a year or so and see how they're doing. Sounds like the M&P40 FS is more thoroughly shaken out at this point and has such high acclaim from some folks with good reputations. I'm leaning toward the M&P. Hopefully the striker breakage issues have been resolved at this point.

dc202
08-28-10, 17:31
Just before everyone gets the idea that the M&Ps have had all the bugs worked out, my 40c, test fired in June 2010, has had numerous incidents of premature slide lock (slide locks back with rounds still in the magazine.) I have read other reports of this problem with the 40c and the 357c. And my continues to do it even after a trip back to S&W. I like M&Ps but no line of guns is perfect, even after four or five years of production when you would think they should finally be.

Palmguy
08-28-10, 19:14
Palmguy... not a hijack... I appreciate all the input. The 22 Gen4 is still way too new for me to jump in it just yet. Just to be more confident, personally, I would probably wait a year or so and see how they're doing. Sounds like the M&P40 FS is more thoroughly shaken out at this point and has such high acclaim from some folks with good reputations. I'm leaning toward the M&P. Hopefully the striker breakage issues have been resolved at this point.

M&P is a great gun and should serve you well. Pick up some snap caps for dry fire. The Apex parts really make the M&P shine.

DHart
08-28-10, 23:43
I know from first hand experience that S&W customer service will resolve any issue. They life-flighted my 40C back and forth several times trying to fix a mag drop problem... finally they replaced the receiver and threw on some night sights for my troubles. Excellent CS. Then I installed a stiffer mag catch spring rod and reduced the protrusion of the mag release button. All of that, combined, resulted in mag drop issues deep-sixed!

dc202, just keep letting them know about the issue and one way or another they will make it right ultimately.

skyugo
08-29-10, 00:05
in 40 i'd go with an M&P. it was designed from the get-go as a 40, the glock, like many other early 40's is an adaptation of their 9mm design, and has some well documented issues.

Dan Goodwin
08-29-10, 10:39
If it is for 3-gun, unless you are wed to .40-cal., consider a G34. Ammo is cheaper, reliability may be a bit better...though my first-year35 has had zero problems.

ck1
08-29-10, 10:50
I don't think any of us would argue that both the Glock's in .40 and the M&P's have had their issues...
I tend to pick the Glock's over the M&P's based on what's least likely to have a problem, but for a lot of guys the ergos of the M&P make up for any reliability/durability advantage the Glocks may have (but I'd keep an extra striker-assemnbly handy with the M&Ps JIC)... truly a case of "to each his own" with these two, either one is a good choice.

number1olddog
08-29-10, 11:20
If it is for 3-gun, unless you are wed to .40-cal., consider a G34. Ammo is cheaper, reliability may be a bit better...though my first-year35 has had zero problems.

My buddy just bought a G34 and brought it over. While it is nice, it doesn't feel the same to me as the G17 I carried for years. I understand the purpose behind the long slide 34, 35's but for me I shoot a 17 or 22 a little better. Why I don't know, I guess Im just use to it.

DHart
08-29-10, 16:29
Not for 3-gun for myself. Just another defense weapon. Like I need another. :rolleyes: "Want" is what it is.

DRT
08-29-10, 20:10
I love my G35. The G35's slide mass is 10% larger than a G22's (I measured it with a scale to the nearest gram) so it slows down the excessive slide velocity that has been the nemesis of the .40 glocks, particularly with lights installed. Much to the chagrin of the gen 4 G17 owners, the gen 4 G22's heavier, dual recoil spring appears to have addressed the .40 cal slide velocity issue. I put a 20# wolff setup in my gen2/3 .40 glocks as extra insurance though they were both reliable as received. My G35 with TLR3 tac light is 100% reliable to date with any load I put through it. Accurate too.

gsxr-fan
08-29-10, 21:07
In my M&P, I have about 1500 -2000 trouble free rounds fired. I think you'll be happy with either of your choices! Just be sure to checkout the posts on stippling the grip and back strap (sorry, just to lazy to do it for you).:D You'll be glad you did!