PDA

View Full Version : New to the AR? Need help with your first purchase? READ HERE FIRST!!

NCPatrolAR
08-03-10, 21:11
In an attempt to limit the number of repetitive "I'm new and want to buy my first AR" type of threads I have created and stickied this thread. If you want to ask a general question about which AR brand is better, what should your first purchase be, etc; this is the place to do it. If you create a thread asking these questions and noticed that it has disappeared; check here because I've probably merged your thread into this one.

If you have a question about something specific; feel free to make a thread asking it.

Before creating any threads though; I ask that you read the following link and make sure your question has not already been asked and answered:

Knowledge-based threads (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355)

If you have any questions about this please send me or one of the other mods/staff members a PM.

Thanks

CaptainDooley
08-03-10, 21:12
THANK YOU!

KevlarSniper
08-16-10, 10:30
What Would be a good starter? for a good price? With accuracy?
I am looking for a good beginners AR. Preferably Cheap with decent accuracy. I don't mind manufacturer or anything like that, just a base line beginner AR
:moil:

sjmills6901
08-20-10, 21:53
All

I am going to purchase an M4 in the near future and seem to be stuck between DD and DCM. From the reports both are great weapons. Which is the best? Is the DD really $200+ better than the BCM? Please advise.

The Solid
08-20-10, 22:43
I personally would go DD. I have used them for a bunch of parts, and all have been excellent. Customer service is great as well, and well everyone has a BCM lol. Seriously though they are tough well built rifles, that are very accurate. Not sure what package you are looking at, but I know the DD rifles come with a lot of nice extras.

sjmills6901
08-20-10, 22:49
Solid

How much should I worry about a lifetime warranty? Also, do you really think the DD is worth the extra 25% cost over a BCM?

The Solid
08-20-10, 22:51
Warranties are valuable, I know DD comes with a warranty,website doesn't say if it is lifetime or not, I think the BCM comes with lifetime...Cost really depends on what package you are looking at.

Cameron
08-20-10, 23:02
You know this is a tough choice when you think about quality, as they are both excellent companies. The first complete semi-custom upper I ever purchased was a Daniel Defense complete upper. However my last two have been BCM.

With quality being taken care of with either choice, the decision will probably come down to configuration, and price. All my ARs have Daniel Defense rails, but when I look at the BCM line I see better choices for configuration and a better price.

After a complete DD upper, a DD lower, two BCM uppers and a BCM lower, my next AR purchase will be another BCM.

Cameron

hals1
08-22-10, 19:31
I picked up a Bushmaster M4 from an individual (no trail). I then found this site and found it is not as great a gun as the hype. Anyway, it's a 16" and I really wanted a 20" so I ordered a BCM upper, BCG and YHM handguard for it. I also have a CMMG .22 conversion kit.
I was thinking of making the Bushmaster upper a more or less dedicated .22 and using the BCM for 5.56.
Then I got to thinking, why not get another lower? I will pick one up off the books so it will be a target of opportunity.
I need to know what to look for in a lower (stripped or complete) and what to avoid.
I'm in Wyoming (a Sarah Brady "D" state) so configuration is not a problem, as long as it isn't NFA.
Any advice?

Thanks,
Hals1

nnj
08-22-10, 20:49
2 part questions and thanks for the help.

I have a beretta c x 4 9mm I am thinking of trading for a new ar. I own a stag model 8, but would like a standard gas operating. I bought the cx4 for 1000 and was offered 500 trade. What are your guys thoughts on this? Its a nice little carbine to have, but cleaning is a pain and its application is not as appealing to me as an ar. I live in nj so my options on ar's are limited. I would be choosing between a colt post ban m4 and a bushmaster post ban m4, or the stag model 2. any recommendations? THANKS!

MistWolf
08-22-10, 21:33
Sell the Beretta for more than $500. Like with a car, the dealer has to make money when he resells the trade in and has to make money selling you the new one. He makes money twice, you lose twice.

Of the ARs you listed the choice is easy. Go with the Colt

hank2165
08-22-10, 21:59
I sold my C4 for $500 and have regretted it. Fun one to have and a good way to send 9mm 100yds. Some folks hate the look. Cleaning never presented too much of an issue.

Regarding your AR choices. I own 5 Bushmasters and no real issues. I'm a paper killing civilian. However, it's better to cry once than cry twice. I have since over the last 5-6 years done a ton of research shooting and wondering around this forum and others. Of yours listed I would go Colt.

Not bashing Bushy just saying if I could do it over I would probably go big. I'm a DDefense fan. Back to the C4 though I bought it used for $450 and someone lost big on that deal.

nnj
08-23-10, 16:24
i looked on gun broker and the prices on used cx4's are really low. do you really think its a bad swing, the difference in price would be 600 + fees for the new colt

hals1
08-23-10, 21:47
Hey guys, I don't want to accuse any body of highjacking my thread, but what does a Beretta 9mm have to do with it?
I still need to know that to look for/avoid in a lower.

peabody
08-27-10, 11:02
my 1st AR was/is a bushy M4, great little gun.

i like it alot.

does everything i want it to do, :D

but ? heck ? my rockriver is good also, so is my dpms.... shuck's they all are good !!:D

peabody

Blankwaffe
08-28-10, 03:35
Unfortunately Ive spent a number of years working with warranties in the motorcycle business,and its difficult on both ends to say the least.
That said yall gota remember that a manufacturers warranty only covers manufacturers defects in most cases and is not a service or repair contract.So the warranty does not cover wear and tear or broken parts from normal use.That said some manufacturers replace parts regardless of use.Just depends on the individual your talking to or the company your dealing with really.
In my experience any manufacturer worth their salt will take care of a early parts failure or manufacturing defect regarless of expressed or implied warranty or age of the weapon....and in the case of DD and BCM that is not a concern...they stand behind the stuff they sell 100%.LMT is the same way.Top notch folks all around.
The key is to buy "known quality" parts and assemblies that have a reputation for heavy use durability.If you do that you reduce the failure rate and insure that the weapon retains a respectable service life.But hey nothing lasts forever,when its worn out its worn out and time to buy another.
HTH

rob_s
08-28-10, 05:49
Hey guys, I don't want to accuse any body of highjacking my thread, but what does a Beretta 9mm have to do with it?
I still need to know that to look for/avoid in a lower.

These days you can buy from just about any vendor without too much concern. Personally I avoid the lesser-known, local gun show, type guys but truthfully they're probably getting their lowers from the same people as everyone else. As it's been explained to me there are only a few forges capable of making lower blanks and so most lowers start out life in the same few places. From there the machining does make a difference, but it's an incremental difference.

My two favorite lowers on the market right now are the Sully and the Daniel Defense. Both have a more aggressive bevel at the magwell which I like but can't really say has any tangible benefit.

Buy from any established brand and you'll be fine. Buy from the local guy with his own logo on the gun at the gunshow and it's a crapshoot.

Doc Safari
09-08-10, 08:53
A couple of names have been thrown at me lately: POF (Patriot Ordnance(?) Firearms) and Spike.

I checked the M4 chart and neither name was mentioned.

My local dealer is really pushing the POF piston AR. Supposedly they claim reliability equal to an AK.

The Spike AR was written up in a recent issue of SWAT.

Other than that I can't find much info on either rifle.

Good choices or range toys? Can anyone shed some light on these?

rob_s
09-08-10, 08:56
The Chart is a comparison of commercially made M4-pattern carbines. Piston-operated ARs are not included.

POF are, IMHO, not the best choice if you must have a piston.

Spikes sells the M4LE for $800 for the base model. If you are limited by budget, $800 for that gun is a good deal.

Doc Safari
09-08-10, 08:59
Spikes sells the M4LE for $800 for the base model. If you are limited by budget, $800 for that gun is a good deal.

That's what attracted me to them and it also makes me suspicious they must be cutting corners.

Any info on whether they go through the same quality assurances that people like Colt, Daniel Defense, Noveske, or some of the other serious-grade AR's go through?

rob_s
09-08-10, 09:07
That's what attracted me to them and it also makes me suspicious they must be cutting corners.

Any info on whether they go through the same quality assurances that people like Colt, Daniel Defense, Noveske, or some of the other serious-grade AR's go through?

Probably not intentionally, but you're stirring up a huge hornets nest with this question.

Doc Safari
09-08-10, 12:39
Probably not intentionally, but you're stirring up a huge hornets nest with this question.

Oops, not trying to stir up anything, just that there are high end and low end M4's, and I'm just looking to get a good one. I don't want to settle for the cheapest thing I can get.

I just know too many "old school" geezers like myself that grew up thinking "Colt or nothing," so I really want to research this before I buy some other brand, that's all. ;)

rob_s
09-08-10, 12:45
IMHO you're never going to go wrong with a Colt. My general advice of "buy a Colt 6920, put an Aimpoint on it and a quality two-point sling and go shoot the hell out of it" still stands. I don't know anyone that's taken that advice and turned out sorry they did.

nicholasmm1
09-08-10, 14:59
So I'm a complete newbie to all of this. I don't know what all the letters mean or any of that. My knowledge consists of what they taught us in law enforcement on basic shooting. I'm planning on buying (building) an AR that I can use for both patrol and hobby.

My question is more on what pieces do I need? I know an upper and a lower but I'm pretty sure if I just buy any upper and any lower I'm going to be screwed haha. I know I'll need a handgaurd, probably a rear sight, a charging handle? Does anyone have a list of the basics needed to build a good AR on a budget? (I.E. upper, lower, handgaurd, charging handle, rear sight... and so on?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I understand there are big differences between brands and all of that but I think I need to know what pieces I need before deciding what brand of those pieces.

-Nick

rob_s
09-08-10, 15:02
Colt schematics (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/mid=99/schematics/Colt_)

Bushmaster schematic (http://www.bushmaster.com/electronic-documents/2006CatalogV1/P40-41%20Schematic.pdf)

HumblePie
09-16-10, 12:18
Have had good luck with my Bargain Bin CMMG with a 1:9 twist. Reliable with Federal 55. Cost: $599. No complaints so far.

usmcvet
10-03-10, 01:13
I would would buy a complete lower from LMT or BCM then buy a complete upper from either. Add a rear sight and handguards and you have a high quality rifle.

bkb0000
10-03-10, 01:57
this thread should be stuckied to the top of every page on this board.

Exodus11
10-25-10, 11:53
http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2259&cid=4

thought this was a good read, newb's as well as seasoned shooters.

unforgivin
11-11-11, 20:04
:cool:I know you guys are not that into RRA got 2 with 20" barrels 5.56 and .308 every time I pull the trigger they go bang.I'm hard on everything I own so far so good.Today is veteran's day God bless all our brothers and sister you'r sacrifice will never be forgotten.Honor Duty Valor you are loved by my family and the entire country.Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

bear22
05-03-12, 20:23
If I am reading The Chart correctly, and comparing it to the comparion of major commercial brands spreadsheet correctly, it seems as though Colt and BCM are the leaders across the board, with BCM edging out Colt due to the lifetime warranty.

Yet folks here prefer DD, Noveske, LMT, and others at times.

Is the reason "feel"? Brand reputation? Corporate service?

Apologies if this question is too basic. I thought it would be better to post here rather than creating a new thread.

US Rifle, Cal. .30, M1
11-10-12, 09:26
I just bought a BCM and I would go with them.The customer service and the parts and fit and finish are all great!If you dont like flashy logos then maybe DD.I have colt and BCM I would take my BCM because it has a hammer forged barrel.Quality I say just as good to not stir up anything.I would care to say go with a cheaper lower good LPK and a bcm upper assembly bcm bcg and I like the gunfighter charging handle.This is all my Bias oppinion not saying bcm is the greatest but I have nothing but good to say about colt and BCM. Oh and the hat, posters,stickers and dvds are a nice touch:D

SteveS
11-10-12, 16:48
If I am reading The Chart correctly, and comparing it to the comparion of major commercial brands spreadsheet correctly, it seems as though Colt and BCM are the leaders across the board, with BCM edging out Colt due to the lifetime warranty.

Apologies if this question is too basic. I thought it would be better to post here rather than creating a new thread.The quality of the parts Colt, BCM and Daniel defense use are just like the parts the military M16/M4 use except semi auto VS select fire . So with Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense you are buying machine gun quality parts and the majority of the others bolt action quality parts and assembly.

SteveS
11-10-12, 16:49

Apologies if this question is too basic. I thought it would be better to post here rather than creating a new thread.The quality of the parts Colt, BCM and Daniel defense use are just like the parts the military M16/M4 use except semi auto VS select fire . So with Colt BCM and Daniel Defense you are buying machine gun quality parts and the majority of the others bolt action quality parts.

Bandanabandit1
10-23-13, 04:18
Thank you!! This sticky really helped me in my quest to gather as much info about ARs before I make my purchase. DD looks pretty good so far..

Jaronimo
01-26-15, 21:08
So I'm new to the AR/M4 platform, and there's so much golden info here that I can gather basic ideas of all the general parts of the weapon. But once it gets down into details , specs, and variances of each part it can become overwhelming. So I'm deciding to go ahead and buckle down and make my first purchase so that I can have something to work with/reference to/learn from when I research and browse these forums. From what I've gathered BCM and DD are great weapons and I've also heard great about Knights Armament. would anyone suggest any one over the other two for any particular reason? I think this thread has "go with your gut feeling" written all over it when it comes to BCM and DD. So I guess I'd like to hear someone chime in about Knight's; either an SR-15 IWS E3 CARBINE MOD 2 or an SR-25 E2 APC.

sneakypete
06-02-16, 18:31
I went looking at AR's and noticed some uppers and lowers were fit loose and some were fit tight. which ones are better buy? also, do they get looser over time? and will putting pressure on the upper and lower in opposite directions make it looser? (i was told no....)

sneakypete
06-02-16, 18:31
how much is good to spend on a 1st AR

sneakypete
06-02-16, 18:34
also. what else do you need to buy when buying an AR. please provide a list of the necessary things to buy. thanks

sneakypete
06-02-16, 18:34
im new too but the DD rifles looked better finish wise.

sneakypete
06-02-16, 18:35

Apologies if this question is too basic. I thought it would be better to post here rather than creating a new thread.

i thought the DD'slooked better finish wise

Yooka
08-07-16, 03:47
A good thing to remember with your first purchase is gun safety rules, here is an informative list on them http://gunivore.com/gun-safety/15-universal-gun-safety-rules/ (http://gunivore.com/gun-safety/15-universal-gun-safety-rules/)

samuelcruz
08-01-17, 09:04
Can you help me in suggesting optimal barrel for my new AR-10 .308 caliber? I want high range and I’m using DPMS Style low profile upper receiver, Forward Assist, Ejection Port Cover, A2 Style Flash Hider, 308 light profile free float handguard, 308 Bolt Carrier Group, 308 Charging Handle.

gordonjustus
09-28-17, 10:47
Want a custom built AR under $1400 as a beginner.

HeruMew
09-28-17, 16:38
Want a custom built AR under $1400 as a beginner.

No, you don't.

I mean, if it's your only rifle and you don't plan to use for HD, go for it. Build a light, colorful, range toy.

For 1400, go with these few options, especially as a beginner:
Colt 6920
BCM Midlength
BCM in General.
Hell, even your price range permits some high level factory options of rails and furniture.

Seriously though. Spend 800-900 on a colt, buy an aimpoint/higher end optic, and use the rest of the cash for a class or ammo. Or both. Then, shoot it. A lot.

If I had 1400 laying around for a rifle, I would do that today.

If you want to build a rifle, that's cool, but you won't know what you need out of your rifle for a few thousand rounds out of a basic, out of the box, reliable model.

usmcvet
09-28-17, 16:41
No, you don't.

I mean, if it's your only rifle and you don't plan to use for HD, go for it. Build a light, colorful, range toy.

For 1400, go with these few options, especially as a beginner:
Colt 6920
BCM Midlength
BCM in General.
Hell, even your price range permits some high level factory options of rails and furniture.

Seriously though. Spend 800-900 on a colt, buy an aimpoint, and use the rest of the cash for a class or ammo. Or both. Then, shoot it. A lot.

That’s good advice. Follow it. Figure out what you want and need. Start with a good carbine as stated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrischoi
10-02-17, 21:04
Thoughts on building the first and learning the platform? I did for my first and it went smooth. Research and input from people who have been around. You could build a solid rifle on that budget. Even if you had the shop throw the upper parts together for you.

HeruMew
10-16-17, 10:02
Thoughts on building the first and learning the platform? I did for my first and it went smooth. Research and input from people who have been around. You could build a solid rifle on that budget. Even if you had the shop throw the upper parts together for you.

But, why? When there's so many options from DD, BCM, Colt, Noveske in that range.

Unless it's for threegun or a cheapo beater, it's not worth building. Expense of factory decent guns outweigh any decent parted together frankengun. Especially if another company assembles it too. Why not just buy an assembled reliable upper?

Just my two cents. And I have built a couple.

TEAMWFO
05-19-18, 00:21
HELP

New to M4 carbine just received my new Colt LE6920hbpw and wanted to ask a question about Colt , Colts quality control and see if i posted my question in proper area.

I recently bought a new Colt M4 14.5" pinned barrel and it took a year to finally find one and when I picked it up at the FFl i wanted to refuse it. The upper and lower both have visible Machining errors.The safety selector says re and safe ... Were the Fi is supposed to be there is a gouge from the milling machine bit so deep there was no material to machine FI and the upper has a similar gouge on the ejector port. What would you do? i can post pics tom.

Elenashal
03-03-19, 07:10
Thank you. You are quite a forward-looking person.