PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat TTU trigger info ?

og556
08-22-10, 22:18
I am looking for a reliable single stage trigger for my next build and am almost settled on a Wilson Combat TTU single stage.

Currently I have a Geissele SSA trigger in my 16" middy rifle and I am looking for a reliable single stage with a short reset and trigger pull around 4.5-5lbs.

My concern is that all the reviews I have read about the TTU trigger appear to be early reviews and not much about long term users.

Any one out there with feedback after putting this trigger group through the paces for a while I would appreciate any feedback.

jaxman7
08-23-10, 00:38
Stickman has a pretty good write up on the TTU.
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2038-Wilson-Combat-Tactical-Trigger-Unit-(First-Impressions)
Looking forward to having my own! Hope this helps.

-Jax

Dos Cylindros
08-23-10, 10:17
I am very interested in this as well. Stickman's review sets my mind at ease, but I still have yet to "pull the trigger" on one.

og556
08-23-10, 10:37
I am curious as to how often you are to replace the trigger springs and how one would go about doing that with this trigger system. It appears to be completely self contained.

rob_s
08-23-10, 11:03
I'm curious about them as well, just not sure I'm $270 interested, or if it would result in $270 worth of improvement, which of course is entirely subjective.

og556
08-23-10, 11:44
That is a lot of ammo money but then again this lower will also host my .22 conversion soon as well as a 14.5" middy.

If this trigger group is as reliable as the SSA or a standard USGI trigger group then I will definitely purchase one.

Stickman's review does give me more confidence in the TTU but it sounds like he is not yet done testing it.

rob_s
08-23-10, 12:12
Longevity for me is only part of the equation. If all it does is last as long as the stock parts, well... that seems like no benefit. I'm very curious to hear from folks that have made use of this trigger and have actually seen some benefit in their shooting.

pro2
08-23-10, 13:00
I am interested in this trigger as well. I'm going to be replacing the stock trigger in a BCM with either a TTU or a Geisele SSA. If the TTU has the potential of getting rounds downrange faster and as accurate as the two stage, all else being equal, I might take the plunge.

ccoker
08-23-10, 13:35
I had the SSA and much prefer the TTU SS

To me, the trigger is perfection, zero creep, zero overtravel, instant reset, clean "glass rod" break.

It's as clean as my Jewell in my LTR

I trust WC to build it to last a lifetime

Zhurdan
08-23-10, 16:12
I bought one about two months ago. I've got about 2k rounds on it, and it's still working just fine. Not only that, but it's a far better trigger than the stock one I originally put in the gun. There's no gritty feel, there's a really tactile reset, and I've been able to reduce previous split times down .05-.06 during the 1-5 drill. Doesn't seem like much, but overall, it's a far better feel than the stock trigger.

Installation was easy as pie. The price is a bit much, but I didn't buy it because I wanted to save money, I bought it because it was better than what I had in the rifle to begin with.

Dos Cylindros
08-23-10, 17:09
I may have to take the plunge on one of these. I have been looking at them for a while, but holding off because other than Stickman's review on another site, I had seen no real info on thier durability. Obviously the longevity and reliability is the primary area of concern for most of us (or at least should be), but if I can get a better performance out of it than that is what would tip the scale for me.

On the face of it, it seems like it should be more durable than stock GI components as it's made of very high quality materials.

Steve
08-23-10, 17:31
Having run one side by side with my Geisele S3g trigger and SSA I would take the G triggers over it anyway while nice the TTU doesn't give me the same rate of fire or rhythm

Army Chief
08-23-10, 17:54
I started my TTU test ahead of Stick's, but lagged well-behind him on actuations; that said, I am entirely comfortable endorsing the unit, based upon what I have seen to date. We are well past the point at which a suspect unit should have already given up the ghost, or at least revealed some weaknesses, and the Wilson is still going strong.

With the recent price adjustment, this becomes an easy recommendation to make. Buy with confidence.

AC

rob_s
08-23-10, 18:57
It's $270 now, what was the old price?

Army Chief
08-23-10, 19:21
Going by memory here, but I believe that it was $299.99, and thought that I had seen an announcement taking the price down to $249.99. Tonight, my search revealed the same number that yours did at $269.99.

While that figure may not be entirely out-of-step for a premium trigger module, it is admittedly still a rather signficant investment, and therefore, not for everyone. Those who do ante-up will doubtless get their money's-worth, but my enthusiasm would be somewhat greater if we saw these offered a bit closer to the $249.99 figure I apparently imagined earlier.

AC

rob_s
08-23-10, 20:23
My interest in this trigger is solely as a way to take greater advantage of the BCM 14.5" mid-lengths with brakes that I have. I have to weigh $279 worth of trigger against $279 worth of ammo to get better with the stock trigger. Something tells me that half that amount in ammo will be better spent, but I could be wrong. I wish times were better and I could afford to do both but it's not that way anymore.

pro2
08-23-10, 20:37
og556, any particular reason you want to go from a two stage to the single stage, are you unhappy with the SSA? I'm just curious because those are the two options for my carbine and I have a hard time deciding.

Army Chief
08-23-10, 20:59
I have to weigh $279 worth of trigger against $279 worth of ammo to get better with the stock trigger.

To my mind, that is a wholly relevant issue. The TTU strikes me as well-suited for a hard-use gun, but will likely be more of a SPR/high-end solution based upon the price of admission. Not sure how to really get around that, since quality is often expensive, but I'll bet Wilson's would sell twice as many of these units if they could find a way to get the price down to $229.99 or so.

AC

og556
08-23-10, 23:53
I am happy with the SSA trigger right now but am looking for something better for faster follow up shots.

I am not as experienced of a shooter as many of you on this board. I have put enough rounds down range to learn how to shoot well with the SSA trigger.

What draws me to the single stage is that it sounds like it may yield faster follow up shots for me. I like single stage triggers on rifles and pistols that have a short reset, simple crisp break, and that are not overly heavy with a lot of pre travel.

This may sound silly but for me what draws me to the TTU is that I believe it may be a faster trigger for me.

I don't do much in terms of long range shooting or bench rest shooting. Most of the shooting I do is within 50 yards and not looking for tight groups but a balance of speed and accuracy.

The challenge I have run into with the two stage trigger is that I feel that I anticipate a heavy pull and when it breaks I sometimes jerk the trigger. It sounds like I need more training before an expensive trigger upgrade.

Until I hear more feedback about this trigger I may just take the SSA trigger group out of my lower and switch back to a standard single stage and work on that. The SSA is a great trigger but it might not be the right one for me and my needs.

rob_s
08-24-10, 05:49
I am happy with the SSA trigger right now but am looking for something better for faster follow up shots.

I am not as experienced of a shooter as many of you on this board. I have put enough rounds down range to learn how to shoot well with the SSA trigger.

What draws me to the single stage is that it sounds like it may yield faster follow up shots for me. I like single stage triggers on rifles and pistols that have a short reset, simple crisp break, and that are not overly heavy with a lot of pre travel.

This may sound silly but for me what draws me to the TTU is that I believe it may be a faster trigger for me.

I don't do much in terms of long range shooting or bench rest shooting. Most of the shooting I do is within 50 yards and not looking for tight groups but a balance of speed and accuracy.

The challenge I have run into with the two stage trigger is that I feel that I anticipate a heavy pull and when it breaks I sometimes jerk the trigger. It sounds like I need more training before an expensive trigger upgrade.

Until I hear more feedback about this trigger I may just take the SSA trigger group out of my lower and switch back to a standard single stage and work on that. The SSA is a great trigger but it might not be the right one for me and my needs.

That's pretty much my feeling exactly.

When Paul from Bravo sent me a 14.5" mid-length he talked about how fast the gun could be fired. I asked him if I should drop one of my SSAs into the gun to take advantage of that speed and he rightfully pointed out that a 2-stage was probably going to actually slow me down. I've put several hundred rounds through the, now two, 14.5" mids and it has me looking around for a "faster" trigger.

I think that, at $270, I'm going to hold off on the TTU. I have a class coming up in September and hopefully another in November and December and will endeavor to get more familiar with the gun as it sits, not to mention matches and drills nights as well. I think that by January I should be better able to decide if I need a "crutch" as someone called this trigger in another thread, and maybe if I'm lucky Wilson will drop the price $100 and it will be more palatable.

GaryXD
08-24-10, 07:34
So then, trigger speed from fastest to slowest of these 3 would be:
TTU
Stock single stage
SSA
Is that correct?

rob_s
08-24-10, 08:31
So then, trigger speed from fastest to slowest of these 3 would be:
TTU
Stock single stage
SSA
Is that correct?

I suspect that this is the case. However I'd want to do some testing to be sure.

ETA:

I want to say something to perhaps clarify what it is that I'M looking for in a trigger for these guns. What I find with the 14.5" mid-length plus brake is that I can sometimes fail to reset the trigger. I believe this is primarily a training issue but one that may be alleviated by an aftermarket trigger solution. It's not that I expect every single split time to be somehow miraculously faster, it's that I'm looking for something that is more consistent for me. Right now those hiccups are frustrating but certainly not catastrophic.

Also, like a lot of other guys, I'm into experimenting with things and am not opposed to "changing with the times".

ccoker
08-24-10, 08:59
the only way to really know what's the fastest is to test them yourself frankly...

hard to do I know, but I would imagine that any of the top trigger manufacturers would stand behind you in the event you weren't happy with it.

sniperfrog
08-24-10, 19:01
I keep waiting for those American Trigger Corp guys to come out with there non adjustable trigger. Supposed to be later this year.

The one they got now is supposed to be really fast but has some adjusty type screws and is too light for me.

mpardun
08-29-10, 09:40
Anybody spot info on a possible price reduction? I'd take 3 today if they were positioned somewhere around the SSA/Timney range of $175-$225.

How about an M4C group buy at this price to get them moving? Master Chief?

Going by memory here, but I believe that it was $299.99, and thought that I had seen an announcement taking the price down to $249.99. Tonight, my search revealed the same number that yours did at $269.99.

While that figure may not be entirely out-of-step for a premium trigger module, it is admittedly still a rather signficant investment, and therefore, not for everyone. Those who do ante-up will doubtless get their money's-worth, but my enthusiasm would be somewhat greater if we saw these offered a bit closer to the $249.99 figure I apparently imagined earlier.

AC

Army Chief
08-29-10, 09:46
Anybody spot info on a possible price reduction? I'd take 3 today if they were positioned somewhere around the SSA/Timney range of $175-$225.

How about an M4C group buy at this price to get them moving? Master Chief?

Not sure how close to your target figure we could actually get, but the idea has some obvious merit. Recommend a PM to wilsoncombatrep to explore the feasibility of such a buy.

Master Chief? Say, isn't that some kind of Air Force or Navy thing? =]

AC

mpardun
08-29-10, 10:05
Not sure how close to your target figure we could actually get, but the idea has some obvious merit. Recommend a PM to wilsoncombatrep to explore the feasibility of such a buy.

Master Chief? Say, isn't that some kind of Air Force or Navy thing? =]

AC

My bad after a sleepless night...ARMY Chief

I'll IM him today

MistWolf
08-29-10, 13:51
Why would a 2 stage trigger be slower? Isn't the reset on the AR trigger the same for the two stage as it is for the single stage? Or are folks talking about releasing the trigger until both stages reset?

BrentC
08-29-10, 15:12
if they are willing drop the price down you can count me in. well depends on the end price but you know what i mean.

cop1211
08-29-10, 19:11
Count me in on a group buy.

Exiledviking
08-29-10, 23:28
Why would a 2 stage trigger be slower? Isn't the reset on the AR trigger the same for the two stage as it is for the single stage? Or are folks talking about releasing the trigger until both stages reset?

I was just thinking the very same thing. I only release the trigger to the reset point.

og556
08-30-10, 00:32
How distinct is the trigger reset on these TTU units ? I would be down for a group buy if it dropped the price by a good bit.

10MMGary
08-30-10, 01:28
I find it hard to believe one will find a faster trigger than a Geissele. However considering I have not even seen a Wilson TTU let alone fired one I can't say. IIRC Geissele claims(and I have no reason to doubt them)that a skilled rifleman proficient with the platform can obtain a firing rate of 300-350 RPM with their trigger.

As to the price of the Wilson TTU, that is nearly the same price as a Geissele Hi-speed match rifle trigger. But from reading og556's post that model Geissele does not fill his needs.

As to the argument of the value of a trigger upgrade, my opinion and experience is this, if the best possible accuracy achievable is ones goal an after market trigger is worth the cost and goes a long way towards helping one achieve their goal. IMO a high quality trigger is just as important as high quality ammo to achieve maximum accuracy, and yes I realize that combat and match shooting are totally different.

Army Chief
08-30-10, 05:48
As to the argument of the value of a trigger upgrade, my opinion and experience is this, if the best possible accuracy achievable is ones goal an after market trigger is worth the cost and goes a long way towards helping one achieve their goal. IMO a high quality trigger is just as important as high quality ammo to achieve maximum accuracy, and yes I realize that combat and match shooting are totally different.

I am inclined to agree.

I suspect for many the lingering question is not so much "do I need/want a trigger upgrade," but rather "which one is best suited to my needs -- and budget?" That can be a bit more difficult to sort out when they are simply too expensive to try them all up front.

AC