PDA

View Full Version : Softest shooting 9...

dvdlpzus
08-23-10, 01:47
My mom wants to get her own 9mm to carry in her bag but wants a soft shooter due to her wrist problems. I offered my G19 or CZ 75B but she hated my Glock and found my CZ too heavy. What do the professionals recommend?

Edit: Forgot to mention an imperative detail. My mother is left handed so ambi is a must.

DasBulk
08-23-10, 01:49
My mom wants to get her own 9mm to carry in her bag but wants a soft shooter due to her wrist problems. I offered my G19 or CZ 75B but she hated my Glock and found my CZ too heavy. What do the professionals recommend?
What did she hate about the 19?

dvdlpzus
08-23-10, 02:22
What did she hate about the 19?

She just stated that it was very uncomfortable followed by a, "This tool is not for me."

DasBulk
08-23-10, 02:45
She just stated that it was very uncomfortable followed by a, "This tool is not for me."

Huh... there's not going to be alot out there with a comparable size and weight that will shoot as soft as a Glock. Have you tried any others like XDs and M&Ps?

556A2
08-23-10, 02:49
Beretta 92

It is just as heavy as a CZ though.

Magic_Salad0892
08-23-10, 03:46
M&P 9. Compact.

DocGKR
08-23-10, 04:37
The "softest" shooting service caliber pistol I have ever shot is the full size S&W M&P9.

Business_Casual
08-23-10, 06:24
There are multiple threads on handguns from a female's perspective:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=57367&highlight=female

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52826&highlight=female

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46788&highlight=female

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=43446&highlight=female

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40644&highlight=female

No need to reinvent the wheel.

B_C

Avenger29
08-23-10, 08:57
The "softest" shooting service caliber pistol I have ever shot is the full size S&W M&P9.

I'm going to confirm this. I am very recoil sensitive. The M&P 9 is one of the few pistols I like shooting. And hence I brought one. My mom, who has low upper body strength and has trouble racking slides, likes it a lot (and she shot a perfect score on her CCW qual having never fired it before)

The CZ 75 is a poor poor choice. Less slide gripping area, heavier trigger, some concerns about durability and reliability. To me, despite being heavier than a Browning Hi Power (one of the other pistols I really like shooting), it had more recoil. CZ's quality decline and price increase do not impress me, either.

MarshallDodge
08-23-10, 09:18
Springfield Loaded 1911 in 9mm. I know 1911's are not popular around here, especially in 9mm, but a lot of the ladies I have let try it really enjoy shooting it.

See if you can find an older Colt 9mm Commander for her to try.

CCK
08-23-10, 09:33
Now you didn't specify Glock like reliability, only soft shooting.

To me the softest shooting 9 I've shot is the Beretta PX4.

Chris

crusader377
08-23-10, 09:41
I would recommend the S&W M&P 9. IMO it is one of the softest shooting 9mm on the market. I have been extremely impressed with mine and highly recommend it. I also really like the BHP but it is not the best choice for a new shooter due to cost and training requirements. Before buying the M&P, I also looked at the FN FNP and was very impressed with that pistol as well. As the OP mentioned the CZ-75 is heavy and although the Beretta 92 is a soft shooting pistol it is also large.

I would also look at some of the older SIG designs P225/P226/P228/229. I particular, I have always liked the P225 as a thin, relatively compact CCW. Yes it is single stack but for some reason I have always liked that pistol.

LHS
08-23-10, 09:54
A 9mm 1911 shoots quite softly, but I wouldn't recommend one for the casual user. My Beretta Elite with the heavy Brigadier slide shoots like a .22, but the grip frame is big and fat and probably won't work for a smaller shooter.

In the end, you may have to go down in caliber. A .380 that she can handle is better than a 9mm she can't.

buckshot1220
08-23-10, 10:01
I know it is a bit costly, but the HK P30 series are very ergonomic, completely ambi (mag and slide, safety if applicable in variant), and recoil is very soft. Even my P2000SK, the subcompact version of the P2000, is very soft recoiling. Just a thought.

Gutshot John
08-23-10, 10:12
Longer slide and heavier weight.

5" Glocks/M&Ps are about the softest shooting polys I've ever fired, 9mm 1911s are even softer.

Naxet1959
08-23-10, 10:25
Another vote for the M&P full size...

montrala
08-23-10, 10:55
The softiest one I ever shoot was HK USP full size, but this can be little too bulky ;)

BTW Softness, is rather personal feeling than feature of gun. However with several people that I introduced to shooting here, most preceive polymer, strong recoil spring and higher muzze rise pistols (like HKs) as softer shooting with same ammo as less "flippy" ones (Glock, M&P, P99, CZ75/85/SP-01, etc.).

HK P2000SK in 9mm with dual recoil spring system should feel soft and it's not bulky. Fully ambidexious (I'm lefthanded myself). For femine hands extended magazine plates will provide comfortable grip with no "pinky under grip".

ST911
08-23-10, 11:03
Has your mom had formal firearms training, from an instructor specifically trained or experienced in the instruction of the lady shooter? If not, is it available to her?

Fire_Medic
08-23-10, 11:28
Another vote for the HK P2000SK 9mm, my wife shot the rental at a local range the other day and she loved it. Now that I got my P30L this might be our next pistol.

markm
08-23-10, 11:35
For whatever reason, I've always felt like the Ruger P-89ish pistols shot very soft.

I don't own one, or even like the gun for all the usual reasons, but the one thing I can say is they shoot soft.

Alpha Sierra
08-23-10, 11:40
In my experience the Glock 17 G4 has less felt recoil than the M&P9 when shooting the same exact ammo.

Markedly so.

Skyyr
08-23-10, 11:43
Another vote for the HK P2000SK 9mm, my wife shot the rental at a local range the other day and she loved it. Now that I got my P30L this might be our next pistol.

+3. Either a P2000 or a USP. Both have virtually NO recoil whatsoever.

Noodle
08-23-10, 11:43
The Walther P99 has a great grip for a smaller hand and is very manageble to shoot.

ilsrwy27
08-23-10, 18:03
The M&P9 is in my experience the softest 9mm shooting polymer.
Definitely more ergonomic and softer shooting than the G19.

Bob Reed
08-23-10, 18:26
Hello,

Get her a 9mm Browning High Power and put a set of Navidrex Thin Combat Micarta stocks on it and she'll love it.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=007B

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=23693/pid=9563/sku/Black_Micarta_HP_Thin_Grip

Here's a MK3 Browning wearin' Navidrex White Micarta.
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Navidrex%20Hi%20Power%20Stocks.htm

Thomas M-4
08-23-10, 18:43
I have owned BHP, Glock17 2nd gen and 3rd gen, EAA witness and a M&P but in .40s&w.

I haven't used a 9mm M&P yet but my gut feeling is that it should be the softest shooting polymer 9mm + you get to change the back-strap unless you try the 4th gen Glock I haven't yet so no comment.

The softest shooting out of the bunch was the EAA witness all steel full size [cz design]it also had the best grip not just me other people who tried it to thought the same. The bad news as much as I like the witness and one day I will pick up another. I would not carry one every day just not reliable enough in my experience and EAA doesn't have the best customer service. I think of it has more of a range toy.
On the other hand the M&P is very reliable and S&W customer service seems to be one of the best in the industry.

Range toy EAA witness
Duty weapon M&P

JHC
08-23-10, 19:37
Any all metal full size 9mm. BHP, 92FS, STI Trojan in 9mm. The 92 is very soft shooting. but big. That's generally how it goes.

Gutshot John
08-23-10, 19:40
Both have virtually NO recoil whatsoever.

I'm not sure that this claim is sustainable and is at best shooter dependent. I've owned a USP 9mm and it certainly had noticeable recoil, maybe somewhat better than a Glock. Muzzle flip however was definitely more pronounced.

ruf
08-23-10, 19:57
Get her a 9mm Browning High Power and put a set of Navidrex Thin Combat Micarta stocks on it and she'll love it.
Until she tries to rack the slide. I love my BHP, but ladyfriends have not taken to the stout springs and hammer bite.

M&P or Gen 4 Glock.

BTW, those white micarta stocks are bbq-sexy. I've been meaning to have some 1911 stocks done in white delrin.

ilsrwy27
08-23-10, 22:39
The OP stated she did find the CZ75B too heavy. I doubt a BHP or 92FS are going to work for her.
The M&P9 is light, extremely soft shooting and the slide is easy to rack by just about anyone.
Anyways, whatever she gets will probably have to be a polymer framed pistol.

dvdlpzus
08-24-10, 00:34
I will have to rent her an M&P9 and a HK P30. I will also try to find someone with a Walther P99 since I've heard great things about them.
I will stay away from the HK USP since it has too much muzzle flip. I believe I will have to stay with polymer since it is lighter and ever improving.

My mom has not taken any gun classes. She only knows what my dad and I teach her. She is very accurate with my .22s and shoots tight groups. Now she wants to translate that shooting time to 9s.

montrala
08-24-10, 04:21
I will have to rent her an M&P9 and a HK P30. I will also try to find someone with a Walther P99 since I've heard great things about them.

I she really do not like Glocks (Gen4 G19 is nice, soft shooting pistol - Glock-hater admits that!), then it's good choice. M&P is ergonomy/feel wise second only to P30 and P99 is not very far behind. Unfortunatelly M&Ps that were exported to Poland had serious quality and reliability issues and people who got them get rid of them quite fast so not much of them around anymore. From what I read things are different in US.

hippieslayer
08-24-10, 04:55
I would give the P30 and an M&P 9 a try. The P30 has some muzzle flip, but the recoil is virtually non existant. It's extremely "soft" shooting. I have no experience with the M&P 9, only the .40.

variablebinary
08-24-10, 05:02
Softest shooting 9mm's I have ever fired in no particular order

Beretta 92
M&P9
CZ75
Gen3 G17

ST911
08-24-10, 09:18
While there will be trends by model, specifics and combination of variables of hand size, fit, ergos, grip strength, and gun weight and dims will be the determinants of whether or not a gun is soft shooting. Try them all.

Alex V
08-24-10, 11:14
My Mom loves her H&K UPS Compact in 9mm. Did not like shooting my G19 this past weekend.

She is all of 5'-0" and 100lbs with a rock in her pocket and a brick in her shoe. Said that the G19 had a heavier trigger and more felt recoil. I agree about the triger having fired it before, maybe its because the UPS-C is a DA/SA? We were not shooting the same brand of ammo so can't back up the report of less felt recoil.

Not sure if the UPS-C is Ambi or not however.

RWK
08-24-10, 17:06

Edit: Forgot to mention an imperative detail. My mother is left handed so ambi is a must.

Um, nobody thought to ask (?!?) -- what loads were you using when she determined that she hated the Glock? Lots of span between 127-gr +P+ and 147-gr subsonic...

dvdlpzus
08-24-10, 17:22
Um, nobody thought to ask (?!?) -- what loads were you using when she determined that she hated the Glock? Lots of span between 127-gr +P+ and 147-gr subsonic...

We used 500 rounds of WWB 115gr FMJ. We are going to the range in 2hrs to rent a few handguns for her.

dvdlpzus
08-24-10, 21:08
Surprise, surprise. My mom decided she liked the FNX-9 the most... I know absolutely nothing about the gun. Are there any reliability issues? Anything we should be aware of? The gun did shoot soft and the muzzle flip was manageable. We still did not buy it for her until we are aware that this gun will last for her. Her second favorite was the HK P30 so if there are major issues with the FNX we will go that route.

My dad fell in love with the M&P. Is the $50 mail-in rebate offer still on or has it expired? The first M&P we tried was from the range and had the stock trigger. A nice gentlemen then let us borrow his M&P with the Apex competition trigger and was much better. I was surprised how light it was although I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it.

Thanks for all the comments guys. :D

chubs
08-24-10, 21:13
My dad fell in love with the M&P. Is the $50 mail-in rebate offer still on or has it expired? The first M&P we tried was from the range and had the stock trigger.

The last time I checked the $50 mail in is good until October.

Gutshot John
08-24-10, 21:28
Hence the use of the term "virtually."

You followed that term up with "NO recoil whatsoever." Where did YOU place the emphasis/capitalization? A .22 has "virtually no recoil whatsoever" even if it does have some. At best it was unclear and gave a flawed impression to the casual reader that the USP shoots like a .22 when that is pretty far from true.

Recoil is the gun moving straight back into your hand, muzzle rise is the gun moving upwards. "Felt" recoil is a subjective assessment and cannot be measured objectively. Muzzle rise on the other hand can be measured objectively with a modified Ransom rest and is far more telling in terms of coming back down on target. I've seen tests that show muzzle rise on the USP is more significant than striker fired models even if "felt" recoil is more pronounced. This is compounded by the huge grip size on the USP that makes it a poor (and sometimes dangerous) choice for many females...ask me how I know.

I'm not saying the USP is a bad gun but there is no comparison between it and the P30.

Skyyr
08-24-10, 21:30
Surprise, surprise. My mom decided she liked the FNX-9 the most... I know absolutely nothing about the gun. Are there any reliability issues? Anything we should be aware of? The gun did shoot soft and the muzzle flip was manageable. We still did not buy it for her until we are aware that this gun will last for her. Her second favorite was the HK P30 so if there are major issues with the FNX we will go that route.

I just bought one for my brother back in June. For all intents and purposes, it's FN's (much more affordable) version of the H&K USP. We've put about 200 rounds through it since the end of June (haven't had many chances to take it out). No failures, no malfunctions. If I hadn't purchased a USP, the FNX would have been my other choice.

It has no current known issues. The earliest versions had some trigger group flaws, but those were ironed out early on. Check with G&R before buying local - they beat most dealer's prices by $125.

dvdlpzus
08-24-10, 22:15
Check with G&R before buying local - they beat most dealer's prices by $125.

Can you please relay me their website? The first thing that comes to mind is Guns & Roses. :laugh:

Skyyr
08-25-10, 01:11
Can you please relay me their website? The first thing that comes to mind is Guns & Roses. :laugh:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/

Grant / C4IGrant on this forum runs it.

Chieftain
08-25-10, 01:46
My suggestions would be the HK P30 LEM with it's very "changeable" grip and extremely "gentle" shooting. (three side panels and three back straps.)

And of course if your mothers hand is small, the Springfield EMP most likely in 9mm.

If your mother has larger hands, a Colt lightweight Commander in 9mm sounds about right. You can have it built to fit her precisely.

Good luck.

Fred

Omega Man
08-25-10, 02:20
HK P30 over the FNX. The P30 is one of the best pistols made IMO.

GermanSynergy
08-25-10, 13:01
If your mom likes the FNX-9, you should probably go with that. For a 9mm shooter, she can do far worse than an FN. As some others have stated, www.grtactical.com is the place to go- and IIRC he does sell FNX-9's and a full array of M&P's (one stop shopping) :D

Good luck.

My dad fell in love with the M&P. Is the $50 mail-in rebate offer still on or has it expired? The first M&P we tried was from the range and had the stock trigger. A nice gentlemen then let us borrow his M&P with the Apex competition trigger and was much better. I was surprised how light it was although I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it.

Thanks for all the comments guys. :D