PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce 2.5-10x32?

Pro2AInPA
08-23-10, 09:39
I'm looking for feedback from folks with experience with this scope. The intended purpose is for 3 gun, shooting open division (this means I can run a magnified optic and a red dot mounted offset.)

I'm running a micro red dot on a Daniel Defense offset mount and a TA11 ACOG currently. Since I'm allowed two optics, I figure more magnification up top is better! :)

I'll be purchasing the scope from one of my sponsors, and he only has the mil dot version in stock at present.

So, has anyone had hands on experience with the 2.5-10x32 with the mil dot reticle? What were your thoughts? Any downsides to the scope?

The primary (magnified) optic is used on targets from 50-350 yards. Anything inside 50 yards gets the red dot treatment.

ALCOAR
08-23-10, 09:48
I have a 2.5-10x24 in the compact mil dot but my x32 has the new LV ret.... both are outstanding pieces of glass. For three gun, imho these are prob. a little bit of overkill in terms of magnification and reticule. For three gun you just need hits not groups and when I think of the nxs 2.5's, I think precision shooting rather than running n gunning with less power and faster reticules. I would personally grab the baby nxs if I want a NF to do what I think you want to do with this optic.

Pro2AInPA
08-23-10, 09:52
I have a 2.5-10x24 in the compact mil dot but my x32 has the new LV ret.... both are outstanding pieces of glass. For three gun, imho these are prob. a little bit of overkill in terms of magnification and reticule. For three gun you just need hits not groups and when I think of the nxs 2.5's, I think precision shooting rather than running n gunning with less power and faster reticules. I would personally grab the baby nxs if I want a NF to do what I think you want to do with this optic.

All of the shooting I would be doing with this scope would be either prone or supported on a wall/barricade. All the offhand/run and gun shots are taken with the offset red dot.

I want more magnification than the various 1-4x scopes offer, but I can't afford a Swaro 1-6x, S&B 1-8x, or the new Leupold CQBSS 1-8x. :(

ALCOAR
08-23-10, 10:14
I understand what you wanting but I think the NF reticules are too precise and far to slow for 3gun regardless how you shoot.... it takes the same to time to acquire a target through a reticule regardless if you are prone, supported or offhand. The 1-4x's are not so popular among 3gunners imho because of the magnification range but rather the fact they have a fast reticule like a traditional 1x red dot has that happens to have a little power for extended ranges.

Dano5326
08-23-10, 10:24
some like the FC-2 reticle on the 2.5-10x.. had good success with mine

VooDoo6Actual
08-23-10, 12:14
I run an FC-2 on my 1X4X24 & 2.5X10X32.

VERY satisfied w/ performance etc.

ALCOAR
08-23-10, 13:08
While the fc-2 is arguably NF's best cqb reticule and a great choice for a baby nxs, it limits the nxs 2.5 quite a bit imho if you intend to ever use it as a longer range precision scope.

Belmont31R
08-23-10, 13:54
I would look for a used Short-Dot, Zenith, or Swaro Z6. You can get one for around the same price or maybe a little more if you look hard enough. Its a lot better scope IMO.

I bought a 2.5-10X32 NF with the mil dot reticle, and sold it. Doing a side by side comparison in low light situations the SB glass was much brighter, the eye box a lot more forgiving, and the build quality is much nicer. A lot of people like NF though, and they are probably the best scopes in their own price range for full retail NIB scopes.

Id also look at the Zenith line of SB scopes. They are the hunting line but still come with the Flash Dot reticles. NF illuminated reticles are not really day time visible. The Flash Dot scopes are. The only thing about the Zenith scopes is they have traditional turret caps so you don't get "tactical" turrets like on the Short-Dot, and the reticles are not all tacticool. Im pretty sure you'd be able to find a used one for about the same price as a NF. There is a Zenith 1.5-6X which would fit the magnification range you are looking for. The sell for about $1700 new so a used one would be quite a bit less.

If you are dead set on NF then you'll still get a pretty good scope but they are not in the same league as SB (or Swaro and Zeiss). I know Eurooptic.com sells demo and slightly used Euro scopes at good prices. They have demo Swaro Z6i 1-6x24's with both the Circle Dot and #4 reticles for $1700, and the regular Z6 1-6x24 for $1400. Thats in the same ballpark price as the NF's you are looking at, and they have much brighter optics esp in low light. Another member from here and I were shooting steel targets at dusk....the targets were painted black, and swinging in front of a brown dirt berm. With both of our NF scopes we could barely make out the target at 100 yards, and with my Short-Dot we had zero issues making out the steel. It was almost a night and day difference, actually. I also noticed with my NF your head had to be in a very specific spot to get a full image through the scope. Both my Short-Dot and 3-12x50 PMII are much more forgiving when it comes to head position which is important for making quick shots, and shooting from different/odd positions.

But buy whatever you want. Im just trying to share what Ive learned, and what has worked for me. Im not saying NF scopes are junk but just that for around the same price or maybe a little bit more you could get a much better scope. If at all possible Id recommend doing your own side by side comparison esp at dusk, and see what scope works the best thats in your price range. If you have shoots around you Id ask people for a quick look through their optics. I know I always let whoever wants look at my stuff and offer to let them shoot it if they want.

shootist~
08-23-10, 16:17
Three Gun seems to have trended to longer and more precise shots. If you agree with that, you will love the NF 2.5-10x32.

I'm been in run n gun retirement mode for most of a decade, but shot the local 3 Gun a few week ago and used my SPRish rifle with NF 2.5-10x32, NP-R2, ZS. (I had sort of been working up to this.) This match was a prep for the Rocky Mountain 3G and the serious shooters had the rifle section set long and hard.

It was a Dark and Stormy Night: ...O.K., actually it was a dim day with some drizzle. The rifle steel started at 120 yards with most either side of 400 and the longest at 465. Shooting positions for the rifle section were over a 55 gal steel drum on it's side, prone, and then over a stack of tires.

I ran everything at 10x and used the reticle come-ups, which I memorized ahead of time - I even wrote them down on my hand. The NF, rifle, 77 grain reload and even the shooter preformed very well and I ended up placing alot higher than I expected.

The NP-R2 with 2 MOA markings worked very well (and I assume the Mil or LV would too).

I ran a TA01NSN for years and it's my humble opinion that the NF at 10x on today's longer and more difficult steel is an advantage. Just how much would be difficult for me to gauge, but the TA01 will stay in retirement.