PDA

View Full Version : Fair trade?

chuckman
08-23-10, 14:03
I know SIGs, and I know 1911s, and I know SIG 1911s, but I know squat about H&K. I have been offered a trade for a LNIB H&K USP-C .45 for a SIG 1911. What say those who know H&K? Fair?

1911GunNut
08-23-10, 14:08
The Sig is probably worth a little more, assuming similar condition.

Army Chief
08-23-10, 18:01
It's not altogether unreasonable, and although I am a 1911 guy, between those two, I might actually opt for the HK.

AC

ralph
08-23-10, 18:14
Between the two, take the HK and RUN!! It's a very accurate, reliable, pistol probably a lightyear ahead of the Sig 1911 in build quality, and reliabilty. The USP can be changed into a number of different variants with the correct parts..If I were making this choice, (and I own a 1911) I would'nt hesitate to take the HK,especially if this was being considered as a CCW

gtmtnbiker98
08-23-10, 18:44
Take the HK, at least it will for sure run.:D

desertdisciple
09-06-10, 23:45
Seen used H&K USPc For $800, OBO locally...

(I'm liking the Sig 1911...But I'm probably in the minority)

Belmont31R
09-06-10, 23:52
Ive actually owned both, and my USP C 45 is still by go to CCW and GP handgun. Over 7k rounds of all kinds down range, and never had a single failure or issue with it.

Id love to love 1911's but every single one of them Ive owned (from Kimbers to a Springfield Pro) has had multiple (many failures). I actually shoot best with a 1911, and they feel good when running but its hard to stay confident with them when every single one you have had, no matter the price paid, had had multiple failures. I still carry my USP 45C even though it was the 1st handgun I ever bought. I had a Sig 229R .40 that went 5k rounds without a failure.

Id carry a 1911 but IMO there are many more reliable designs out there. Ergonomics wise they are the best but Id rather have 99.9% reliability than a compfy gun that may or many not shoot when you need it. Even bought a Colt Series 70 Gov model that the safety plunger tube/detent flew off the gun on the 1st mag. Spent the coin on the SA Pro Rail gun, and it would start jamming after 400-500 rounds.

My wife has a G19, and never experienced any failure in it, either. It has 3-4k rounds through it.

desertdisciple
09-07-10, 00:33
Id love to love 1911's but every single one of them Ive owned (from Kimbers to a Springfield Pro) has had multiple (many failures). I actually shoot best with a 1911, and they feel good when running but its hard to stay confident with them when every single one you have had, no matter the price paid, had had multiple failures. I still carry my USP 45C even though it was the 1st handgun I ever bought. I had a Sig 229R .40 that went 5k rounds without a failure.

Id carry a 1911 but IMO there are many more reliable designs out there. Ergonomics wise they are the best but Id rather have 99.9% reliability than a compfy gun that may or many not shoot when you need it...
I agree, completely! - LOVE the SIG - RCS NITRON...
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd22/desertdisciple/Ministry%20Tools/100_6863.jpg

...BUT Carry the G23 Daily...& no range failures, ever!
*In all fairness, to the Sig...it hasn't stope-piped since the ramp polishing

usmcvet
09-07-10, 06:51
The last time I saw a Sig 1911 I remember how HUGE it was. Great for shooting but I would not want to lug it around. I looked at it more of a race gun. They used to be built on Caspian frames made right here in Hardwick, VT. My first 1911 was a sweet shooting Caspian. Hi would be a better carry gun. You could also try to sell it and put$ 800 in your pocket and buy exactly what you want. That would buy two Glocks.

Just looked at the photo above the Sig I saw was full size+ and had a huge rail.

desertdisciple
09-07-10, 10:25
The last time I saw a Sig 1911 I remember how HUGE it was. Great for shooting but I would not want to lug it around. I looked at it more of a race gun. They used to be built on Caspian frames made right here in Hardwick, VT. My first 1911 was a sweet shooting Caspian. Hi would be a better carry gun.

Just looked at the photo above the Sig I saw was full size+ and had a huge rail.

yea, I've seen some of those...
(personally, since I don't use tactical mounts day to day, I don't really like railed 1911's. My RCS (prev. post) is a slim, compact, had the works from the custom shop, & was a comfortable all day carry in Milt's - watch six...

...just didn't have the functional history of my Glock. If I didn't think 1911's were so "purty", I'd do that to...(sell it & buy more Glocks). :cool:

usmcvet
09-07-10, 21:26
1911's have a special charm to them. My Caspian was the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. The Bo-Mar sights were awesome. I had it built for me, it was fun picking every part.

I think it was Larry Vickers who said something along he lines of if you treat your guns like most of us treat our lawn mowers buy a Glock. If you run a 1911, treat it right, pamper it and find out what makes it run and stick to that.

desertdisciple
09-07-10, 21:31
1911's have a special charm to them. My Caspian was the most accurate pistol I've ever shot. The Bo-Mar sights were awesome. I had it built for me, it was fun picking every part.

I think it was Larry Vickers who said something along he lines of if you treat your guns like most of us treat our lawn mowers buy a Glock. If you run a 1911, treat it right, pamper it and find out what makes it run and stick to that.

I love that!
And I'm not even a wanna' be gun-smith...that's why I love my GLOCK!
(though I can surprise myself, shooting that 1911...and since I let a buddy of mine, who shot competition for years, give it a little attention it has ran like a champ)

Julian
09-07-10, 21:47
I'm a Sig and H&K armorer. 1911s are great guns, having said that, I don't know what is going on with Sig, but lately (the last year and a half) they have been in a downward spiral.
Used to be my favorite blaster, but no longer. Can't even get good sevice through an LEO order. I think they are farming out small parts also.
I know the HK USP 45C. Good Gun. I'd install a LEM trigger in it. Kits are around. Only issue if you are used to 6 oclock poa/poi you may need some sight work. At distance, 25 Yards or so, it will begin to show.
Based on Sig lately, I'd do the trade, maybe ask for a little boot.

usmcvet
09-07-10, 22:05
I am paraphrasing but that is pretty close.

desertdisciple
09-07-10, 22:07
I am paraphrasing but that is pretty close.

The paraphrase is cool...

I like paraphrases, some times...
(Occasionally, I pick up Eugene Peterson's - The Message) :happy:

*btw*...appreciate your perspectives, that I've read...
Have a great week & Stay Safe!

chuckman
09-08-10, 04:23
I made the trade. I'm happy. I really liked the SIG. As many 1911s as I have shot, it was by far THE best for the price (and better than some that were a bit pricier). It rode comfy in a blade-tech IWB holster, and I put through a ringer in one of Mr. Vicker's classes.

All that being said....I am a busy man, and it seems like I am getting busier by the day. I just don't have the downtime to invest in the proper relationship with a 1911. So I have 'converted' my pistols to fire-and-forget shooters that require little attention.

desertdisciple
09-08-10, 10:12
I made the trade. I'm happy. I really liked the SIG. As many 1911s as I have shot, it was by far THE best for the price (and better than some that were a bit pricier)...

...So I have 'converted' my pistols to fire-and-forget shooters that require little attention.

*Chuckman...don't hold out...post pics & maybe a range report, when ya can*

SMOKEEATERFF
09-08-10, 11:17
The H&K will probably hold a better value for the future.

chuckman
09-08-10, 17:31
*Chuckman...don't hold out...post pics & maybe a range report, when ya can*

I just started a new job that added a nice 15 extra hours a week, so not sure when I can get to the range. When I go I have the H&K to shoot as well as 2 rebuilt AR lowers.