PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Gun Buyers Guide...

SteyrAUG
08-23-10, 22:33
Ok, for those who don't know me.

I've been collecting guns since the mid 1970s. I have collected through several gun bans. I have quite a few guns which I have purchased over the years. And I have been a FFL / SOT for 10 years.

I have bought guns in good times and bad times. I have learned some things. One of those things is people always say "Man...if I could have bought such and such gun back then when I had a chance, I'd have bought 10 of them." Well right now is probably one of the best times in the last four decades to buy guns. There are things available that we simply couldn't have dreamed of getting even in the pre89 "golden age."

Just one problem, the economy sucks and everyone is mostly broke. Of course that is usually the case when the getting is good. So for those lucky folks who have some money to spend and want to get a few good pieces. Here are my recommendations:

1. AR-15 - If you don't have one yet, this is where most people should start. It is simply the most practical firearm for most people. Doesn't have a huge collector value, but it has true value. Long gone are the Clinton ban prices and you can get current platform carbines at realistic market prices. Magazines, accessories and parts are readily available and affordable. Your best bet is a Colt, Daniel Defense or similar. But you will do just fine with Stag, Armalite, Bushmaster and similar rifles. Don't wast your time with budget knockoffs. The only drawback is 5.56 ammo is still pricey.

2. AK-47 / AK-74 - If you don't have one, now is a really good time to get one. They are so incredibly cheap it isn't funny. The Holy Grail is the Arsenal / Kvar SGL31 in 5.45x39. While not as cheap as a WASR or even a SAR 2 it is easily still the best buy. An honest to goodness Russian made rifle. And while a tad costly, $10 magazines and incredibly cheap ammo more than make up for it. Kvar also has the SGL21 series in 7.62x39 if that is your preferred cartridge for even less money. If you can get a Russian SGL rifle, that is the one you want.

For those on a budget there are cheaper CAI Bulgarian 74s and Polish Tantals. Don't be too afraid of the "CAI" on the receiver. Seems they are learning. The builds use G2 fire control parts (no more Century pot metal parts), Nodak receivers and it seems they have Wise Lite doing their builds. The one wild card is the US barrels (thanks to the stupid barrel ban) which seem to be Green Mountain manufacture. In the past they had problems which have reportedly been all fixed (no more keyholes). The furniture on the CAI 74s sucks but that is an easy upgrade to US made Kvar poly stock sets.

3. Steyr AUG - Nearly everyone who saw Die Hard in 1987 put this rifle on their Grail List. Especially since it was banned from importation (Thanks Bushtard) shortly thereafter. Well Steyr took notice of FN safely doing domestic builds after the sunset and jumped on the bandwagon. Using Saber as a domestic facility they are pumping out factory rifles on factory tooling. So if you wanted "one more chance" you have it.

MSAR also makes a very affordable clone. It is offered in a variety of calibers and configurations. While not the same quality of the original Steyr rifle, it is still an acceptable rifle. MSAR is also pretty good about standing behind their product if it has any issues.

4. The HKs - Right now there are two Turkish (MKE)contract pistols available. They also have a carbine but skip it (to be importable the carbine has a proprietary 10 round ONLY magazine). The pistols are basically a 94 (16" barrel) and 89 (5 1/2" barrel) configurations. Obviously these are almost useless as pistols but they make excellent SBR platforms. The 94 becomes a semi auto MP5 with a cut and crown and the 89 becomes a semi auto MP5K without any gunsmithing required. The quality isn't quite German HK, but it's probably a bit better than say POF contract. And it is light years better than any 9mm clone (all of which use parts from Special Weapons regardless of the name on the receiver).

PTR makes some decent rifles as well. They had some issues when they started up years ago. But since acquiring tooling from FMP they have begun producing what is essentially an American contract rifle. It isn't HK spec due to barrels and a few configuration changes, but it is high quality nonetheless. Their mainstay is the 7.62 (.308) rifle so if you just can't afford a preban 91 but always wanted one, this is your best bet. They also offer a 32 (7.62x39) variant, but I can't comment on it as I don't have any personal experience with one.

5. Brügger & Thomet TP9 - Honestly, I don't know how DSA managed to get these imported. It is a modern, well made military design. Basically it is a Swiss made upgrade of the Steyr TPM SMG. As a pistol it is again almost pointless. But as a SBR (which is available) it is an amazing semi auto PDW. Drawback here is it's pricey (as much as a high quality AR). But this will also make it incredibly rare IF we get another gun ban. Being an import this one is especially vulnerable to legislation.

6. Suppressors - I don't see them going away. I doubt they will close the registry. That said, they are really affordable these days and you get a lot for your money. And the $200 NFA tax just isn't the big deal it once was. The important thing here is platform. Suppressors like the HALO and Multimount which are "all in ones" for almost every firearm you ever owned are like a dream to those of us who grew up with the big, clunky, inefficient, proprietary and EXPENSIVE suppressors of the 1970/80s.

7. Handguns generally are not great buys. The HK USP I paid $1,000 for in 1994 (before the high cap ban) can now be bought the same price or less and used for almost half. Ditto for SIG, Glock, Beretta, etc. The exception is certain surplus handguns which pop up from time to time for excellent prices. If you got in on those $500 HK P7s a few years back (especially if you were smart enough to snap up a bunch of $35 magazines) you are probably a happy camper. Buy handguns only as you need them for CCW purposes. Ditto for shotguns.

8. Avoid firearm technology. In 1981 a factory Colt M-16 ran about $250 and a Gen I Night Vision scope ran about $10,000.00. Today that Colt M-16 would easily fetch $10k but you'd be hard pressed to sell the same scope for $250. Like all technology from VCRs, CD players and home computers, they lost value and become obsolete because you can buy better stuff new for the same money or less. I paid about $1,200 for my Apple II computer back in 1981, I can buy a modern computer for a lot less today. This is what is going to happen to you if you buy the newest / latest in Night Vision and similar technology for your firearm. Gen I night vision is now cheap and affordable and a safe bet. But only get into Gen II and Gen III (or god forbid Thermals) if you absolutely must have it. And IF you must have it, Uncle Sammy is probably picking up the tab anyway. Buy ammo, mags and rifles instead.

9. Machine guns - Usually prices go one way on this stuff - up. Right before the housing market tanked the economy, HK registered sear MP5s were getting ready to break the $20,000 price tag. And now they are threatening to drop to $15,000 which is something we really haven't seen since the 1990s. The economy has rolled prices back 10 years on a lot of NFA toys as long time owners are cashing out. In most cases they bought them for half of what they are currently going for so they are still getting a nice profit even in hard times (which is why they bought them). If you have the money, you can pick up some nice toys at nice prices.

SeriousStudent
08-23-10, 23:12
Thank you for the advice. I'm working on item six on your list as we speak. :)

And I'd love to buy an SGL31, but am really torn on acquiring yet another platform.

ucrt
08-23-10, 23:46
Good info-thanks.

I think a person needs to have a keen eye and an open mind buying guns. I've bought a lot of guns at guns shows and pawn shops and most of the time I wasn't in the market for what I bought. But if you stay abreast of market prices, and I don't mean MSRP, but what they "really" sell for, you can avoid getting "took".

Pawn shops can really surprise you at what they might have plus most of them will let you lay-away guns.

Handguns can be a good buy but you have to look harder. They generally are more desirable (that's why the good deals are harder to come by) and easier to sell/trade. I know guys down here are trying to sell nice used SIG P220's for $600-$650 - ain't gonna happen for a while. Louisiana State Police traded all of their SIG's in for Glock 40's - 1100 of them. Kind of made $500 guns out of all used SIG's down here for a while. BUT I've bought several in the low $400's, just got to look.

I think the market is going to be flooded with good used guns within the next year. So, use info like SteyrAUG posted and learn what's good, find out what's a fair price, start saving up now.

Caeser25
08-24-10, 17:42
Stock up on mags when you find them cheap. I have mags for quite a few guns I don't have yet just because they were cheap. AK's, HK G3 mags for a PTR, FAL,