PDA

View Full Version : comp m3

newguy
08-24-10, 05:04
i know it says 50,000hrs at setting 7 i use setting 8 for everything how many hours do you think i can get on setting 8

tampam4
08-24-10, 05:13
46,284 hours.

In all seriousness, I think the difference between 1 power setting is a moot point. A battery powered optic on a rifle shouldn't be something you should try to "use up all the hours" before replacing. Just replace your batteries at regular intervals, and don't worry about it in my opinion. Also, not to flame you, but you asked the question in another thread 20minutes ago.

JSantoro
08-24-10, 08:45
You might drop from the quoted 50k to somewhere around 42k, +/-. That's dredging my memory, but I've put a call in to The Aimpoint Oracle to find out for sure.

JSantoro
08-25-10, 20:20
Turns out my SWAG was wrong. The power draw goes up at a greater rate than one would think per setting (either geometric or exponential, not smart enough to figute it out), per the Aimpoint Whisperer.

Left at setting 7 continuously = 50k. If left on continuously at setting 8-9, you're looking at around 17.5 - 21k hours, call it 2 - 2.5 years (8760hrs/year). Ergo, higher setting are even more drain and lower settings are way less, and a certain balance is achieved if you swap higher to lower and back over time.

Crow Hunter
08-26-10, 09:15
Turns out my SWAG was wrong. The power draw goes up at a greater rate than one would think per setting (either geometric or exponential, not smart enough to figute it out), per the Aimpoint Whisperer.

Left at setting 7 continuously = 50k. If left on continuously at setting 8-9, you're looking at around 17.5 - 21k hours, call it 2 - 2.5 years (8760hrs/year). Ergo, higher setting are even more drain and lower settings are way less, and a certain balance is achieved if you swap higher to lower and back over time.

Very cool to know.

I figured it was an exponential increase (as in rhetorical not functional, I have no idea what the actual function is) based on the insanely long setting on NV.

It would be interesting to know what the worst case power drain would be, then I could establish a PM with a safety margin.

Of course, I could also just change it out on my birthday every year too.:jester:

Sometimes I can be too much of a nerd.:ph34r:

JSantoro
08-26-10, 16:37
Nah, it's actually not an unreasonable course of action, if you're one who likes to make as sure as you can.

I'm paraphrasing, but that point came up, and I said something to the effect of "So, if somebody wanted to cover their power needs, they just replace the battery every two years at, what?, $6 a pop per device, they spend only $3/year/device to be as certain as they can. Sound about right?"

To which I got an extraordinarily complex reply..... "Yep!"

Those batteries cost $6-8. Cheap at twice the price for the time you get out of them.

Blowby
08-26-10, 16:58
I had to do it! :D

At $7.00 per battery that's a whopping 2 cents a week Just replace it once a year (13 cents a week) and be done with it. :big_boss: