PDA

View Full Version : Mil-Spec receiver extension tube

amac
08-24-10, 07:29
I'm looking to upgrade to a mil-spec recevier extension tube. There are lots out there and wanted to hear from some folks that have done the same thing.... is Colt the only way to go or is there a better cost alternative? Was looking at the vltor. Any thoughts?

Iraqgunz
08-24-10, 07:59
Vltor, BCM, DD and LMT are all good to go.

I'm looking to upgrade to a mil-spec recevier extension tube. There are lots out there and wanted to hear from some folks that have done the same thing.... is Colt the only way to go or is there a better cost alternative? Was looking at the vltor. Any thoughts?

Hmac
08-24-10, 08:57
I can't imagine it's cost-effective, but the PWS buffer tube is a very nice piece of mil-spec work. I have one sitting around waiting on a receiver so I haven't installed it, but it doesn't require staking and has two built-in QD mounting sockets.

LSK
08-24-10, 09:10
When I have used the Vltor tube the stock seems to fit better and it slides very smoothly.

Sanpete
08-24-10, 11:06
I'm going to slightly disagree with the Vltor tube. It depends which version of the Vltor you get. The 5-position Vltor tube is great. That one has the Vltor logo engraved onto the backside. The threads are properly smoothed near the castle nut where the stock assembly would collapse onto.

The other version is the 6 position model with their logo only laser etched in white text onto the backside. Those threads are raised (even behind the castle nut) which will often cause your stock to get hung up or stuck in the fully collapsed position. There's been speculation that these were contracted out, however I don't know how true that is.

Colt tubes are great, but I prefer the LMT 6 position tube over anything else out there.

LONGBOWAH
08-24-10, 11:32
LMT extension + SOPMOD stock = smoothest operating stock I have ever seen...it's like they were fitted to each other.

Even thought it's dry, it feels like it's sliding on grease...air actually.

GaryXD
08-24-10, 14:24
I'm going to slightly disagree with the Vltor tube. It depends which version of the Vltor you get. The 5-position Vltor tube is great. That one has the Vltor logo engraved onto the backside. The threads are properly smoothed near the castle nut where the stock assembly would collapse onto.

The other version is the 6 position model with their logo only laser etched in white text onto the backside. Those threads are raised (even behind the castle nut) which will often cause your stock to get hung up or stuck in the fully collapsed position. There's been speculation that these were contracted out, however I don't know how true that is.

Colt tubes are great, but I prefer the LMT 6 position tube over anything else out there.

It seems funny the 6 pos Vltor tube looks exactly like the DSA tube, doesn't it?

My preference is:
BCM
LMT
CMT/Stag
Vltor 5 pos

Moose-Knuckle
08-24-10, 16:11
Another vote for the Vltor tube here, I run Magpul CTR's on Vltor tubes.

7075T6

Our RE-1’s are made from an process called “impart extrusion”, which is a drawing type process. Since the beginning of the AR15 Carbine, all milspec tubes are 7075T6 impact extrusions. See the attached picture for example.

Thanks for your interest.

Eric S. Kincel
General Manager Vltor Weapon Systems
(520) 408-1944
(520) 293-8807 fax

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/Vltorreceivertubes.jpg

Dos Cylindros
08-24-10, 17:07
I like the LMT tubes. They have an extra bit of material that sticks out where the buffer retaining pin is that adds just a bit of extra insurance against it backing out. Plus they are very well machined.

ABN
08-25-10, 01:43
I'd buy the BCM

Blankwaffe
08-25-10, 02:26
LMT extension + SOPMOD stock = smoothest operating stock I have ever seen...it's like they were fitted to each other.

Even thought it's dry, it feels like it's sliding on grease...air actually.

The LMT RE's are coated with dry film lube....part of the reason they are slick feeling.Under the dry film lube they are anodized black.
I also prefer the LMT RE's and SOPMOD stock.