PDA

View Full Version : Does the M&P 9c meet the bar of reliability for carry?

maximus83
08-24-10, 08:32
I'm curious what has been the reliability level of the M&P9c (or 40c, since it's very similar). I own and have carried one for nearly 3 years now, it is currently the gun I carry most consistently.

As reliable as the M&P platform may be (based largely on the performance of the full-sized models), this may not carry over entirely to the compact models. On the M&P forums, it seems like there are a lot more reports of reliability issues with the compact models than with full-sized ones. That is just a subjective take, it may not in fact be the case. But I know from experience that with other platforms--the 1911 for instance--when you get below a certain optimal frame and slide length, you may still have a reliable gun, but the probability of experiencing issues definitely goes higher.

Does the M&P 9c meet the bar for reliability in carry and duty use? Or should I sell mine and stick with the full-size guns?

chubs
08-24-10, 08:38
I can't speak for the reliability that everyone else has experienced, but I find my to be suitable for my needs. I've been running my 9c like my Glock for awhile now. I'm roughly 2,000rds into it and still haven't pulled my slide off to take a look inside. In those 2,000rds, I've had one double feed. I shoot the cheapest ammo I can find, so take that for what it's worth.

SWATcop556
08-24-10, 08:40
For me and my sample of one, yes. That is after 2000 rounds of FMJ and 500 rounds of Winchester Ranger 124 gr +p+ (my dept. 9mm duty round). I carry it almost exclusively off duty.

Also the Apex upgrades will only improve the platform. I wouldn't sell your based off a small sampling on an Internet forum (here or any other). If it works for you and has been reliable through an adequate round count to diagnose problems, then carry it with confidence.

Alpha Sierra
08-24-10, 08:40
You've had the pistol for three years now?

You should most certainly be able to evaluate whether YOUR pistol is reliable enough to stake your life on it or not.

I am assuming that you own this pistol and you do not just go to an arms room and take whatever the armorer hands you.

Make your own determination and forget what the internet "hive mind" thinks.

I personally don't give a crap who thinks my choice of pistol is not duty worthy. Once my particular sample (which is the only one that matters to me) is proven reliable, I stop worrying about it.

maximus83
08-24-10, 08:51
Some good points above, and I should add that yes, my own personal 9c has been EXTREMELY reliable, though I only have about 1500 rounds through it since I bought it. I shoot it as well as my full-size guns, but I don't shoot it that much, I mostly just carry it. If I were to base my thinking on my sample of one, I'd definitely keep it. The broken-in factory trigger is smoother than any of my other M&P's and unlike some other folks, I like the way it fits in my hand actually better than a G19.

MichaelD
08-24-10, 08:52
One of my two 9c's has had 6000+ rounds through it with two flawless performances on the 2000-round challenge; I'd say it's definitely GTG for carry.

Alpha Sierra
08-24-10, 11:31
I only have about 1500 rounds through it since I bought it.
That is more than enough to make a sound decision

If I were to base my thinking on my sample of one...........
Your sample of one is more valuable than a sample of 1000 that you do not own. Why? Because it is the one that YOU will rely upon.

Might it fail someday? Sure, it might. Just like anything mechanical might fail. Are the odds low? Very low.

RogerinTPA
08-24-10, 11:55
My M&P9c has 9K+ rounds through it in 3 years and just recently had some failure to go into battery issues twice. After a clean and lube session, I couldn't get the pistol to repeat the problem with an additional 300 rounds fired. Another member stated that S&W recommended that the guide rod assembly should be replaced every 5K, so I have one on the way. Short answer is yes I would recommended them as reliable for concealed carry. I'm about to add another to the collection. Don't forget to add a CT Laser grip.;)

C4IGrant
08-24-10, 12:18
I'm curious what has been the reliability level of the M&P9c (or 40c, since it's very similar). I own and have carried one for nearly 3 years now, it is currently the gun I carry most consistently.

As reliable as the M&P platform may be (based largely on the performance of the full-sized models), this may not carry over entirely to the compact models. On the M&P forums, it seems like there are a lot more reports of reliability issues with the compact models than with full-sized ones. That is just a subjective take, it may not in fact be the case. But I know from experience that with other platforms--the 1911 for instance--when you get below a certain optimal frame and slide length, you may still have a reliable gun, but the probability of experiencing issues definitely goes higher.

Does the M&P 9c meet the bar for reliability in carry and duty use? Or should I sell mine and stick with the full-size guns?

Very reliable. No worries.

C4

MarshallDodge
08-24-10, 12:24
One of my two 9c's has had 6000+ rounds through it with two flawless performances on the 2000-round challenge; I'd say it's definitely GTG for carry.

Your 9c is a runner and a shooter.

bigmerv
08-24-10, 13:09
Have about 1500 rounds through mine, no problems, definitely reliable enough for me.

willowofwisp
08-24-10, 15:55
I have almost 500 rounds through my 9c, i ran it through a training class about a month ago and the gun was flawless...the compact is just a laser..damn thing shoots wherever you point it

Beat Trash
08-24-10, 18:16
Short answer - YES...

My agency obtained about 200 M&P9c's when they first came out.

Already had the full size guns in the field at that time. These guns were for plain cloths investigators and command staff, all of which were given the option of trading their full size guns for compacts.

The M&P9c's have proven to be as reliable as the full size guns for us.

Naxet1959
08-24-10, 18:22
No way, they SUCK HUGELY... if you want, I'll give you $20.00 to take it off your hands...:haha:

Arclight
08-26-10, 22:40
Best way to answer this question: Shoot yours a lot, in as many scenarios as you can. Generally, this means taking a couple of good classes with it. In 2000 rounds or so in a weekend, you'll get a sense. Do that a few times and you'll know. The side effect: You'll also be a helluva lot better with it by the end.

kwelz
08-26-10, 22:50
I sure hope so. Because I just switched to a M&P9c as my EDC gun. And just a quick note, I purchased it from grant. He was great to deal with even after I screwed up the order and had to bother him through PMs to fix it. Thanks Grant.

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 23:14
I sure hope so. Because I just switched to a M&P9c as my EDC gun. And just a quick note, I purchased it from grant. He was great to deal with even after I screwed up the order and had to bother him through PMs to fix it. Thanks Grant.

+1 i ordered my 9c from Grant awesome guy

Travelingchild
08-27-10, 07:52
shoot it as well as my full-size guns, but I don't shoot it that much, I mostly just carry it.

New guy here so don't be harsh on me, but I seriously don't understand that statement.

Doesn't common sense & training logic dictate that you shoot your carry gun more than any other one?

Have a M&P 40 but I rarely shoot it (became a safe queen LOL) even though I shoot it well.

RWK
08-27-10, 08:45
New guy here so don't be harsh on me, but I seriously don't understand that statement.

Doesn't common sense & training logic dictate that you shoot your carry gun more than any other one?

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either, new guy.

maximus83
08-30-10, 10:49

Have a M&P 40 but I rarely shoot it (became a safe queen LOL) even though I shoot it well.

Yes that's a valid point. This may be not a good idea, I don't know, but I tend to alternate between carrying my M&P full-size (which I DO shoot a lot), and my compact, which I only put about 50 rounds a month through. I carry the compact in situations where I have lighter clothing or need deeper concealment. Should probably shoot the compact more than I have, but prefer to both shoot and carry the full-sized version.

GermanSynergy
08-30-10, 10:55
Mine is. Zero stoppages in close to 5 months and 2K rds, and has fed GDHP's, RAT's and anything else that goes in the pipe flawlessly.

I bought it from Grant (THE source for anything M&P related) :)

If you can select one 9x19 handgun for EDC, the M&P 9C fit the bill.

I'm seriously considering buying another one.