PDA

View Full Version : Odd situation with Campus Police

mnoe82
08-24-10, 11:46
This may be in the wrong place and Mods feel free to move it.

I am starting back school next week at a University. My commute is about an hour each way. I have my ccw and I carry with me everywhere I go. I wanted to know what the policy of the university was about firearms in the car. So I called the campus police dept to get some information before my classes begin.

The girl on the phone told me to hold for a moment and after a couple of minutes she comes back and tells me that I can bring in my gun between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm and they will check it in and I can get it back at the end of the day when I leave to go home. She tells me that I can get it back before they close and that the gun will be put in the evidence room where only the detectives will have access to it. She tells me just to come by there because "You know its a felony, right?"

I didnt give them any information about myself other than I am a student and a ccw holder.

This seems incredibly fishy to me. I feel like they are either going to try and arrest me for bringing a gun onto campus, flag my vehicle and harass me, cause any number of other problems, etc. I also don't like the idea of a anyone (especially a campus police officer) having access to my firearms without me being there.

Suggestions?

Hmac
08-24-10, 11:55
CCW on school grounds varies A LOT by state. Some states can prohibit students from carrying on campus but CAN'T prohibit keeping it in your car, some ban them altogether. You need to know Tennessee state law.

TOrrock
08-24-10, 12:01
Sounds like she gave you some straight up information and was trying to help you out.

Like Hmac said, carry laws vary quite a lot, especially when you're talking about universities and especially when you're talking state universities.

E53001
08-24-10, 12:06
look into the universities policy on firearms on school premises specifically, then look at the CCW laws concerning school grounds admittance while CC'ing, and if your that unsure, can always call a lawyer and ask

montanadave
08-24-10, 12:08
I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information contained therein, but there is a website dedicated to issues related to concealed carry on college campuses.

http://concealedcampus.org/index.php

The website cites the following as Tennessee state code:

As per Tennessee Code §39-17-1309, persons possessing a concealed handgun license are prohibited from carrying their firearm on the premises of an educational institution such as a college or university.

§39-17-1309 "It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution."

Hmac
08-24-10, 12:16
Minnesota, for example allows public post-secondary schools to restrict carry or possession by students or employees (not the general public) but are specifically prevented from prohibiting carry or possession in any parking facility or parking area on campus.

John_Wayne777
08-24-10, 12:54
She tells me just to come by there because "You know its a felony, right?"

Check your laws. It may well be a felony to carry on the grounds of a university in your state.

Many universities have procedures for storing firearms while you are on campus that were invented for those who compete or hunt with firearms. In many colleges I know about it's possible to bring your weapon to the campus police station and hand it over. It gets locked up and you can pick up the weapon to go hunt or shoot and then take it back to the PD when you are done. That sounds like what the lady answering the phone at the PD is talking about.

Complication
08-24-10, 13:24
Also be aware where you park your car. By my campus we had parking along the street (owned by the city) and private university lots. I doubt the school could legally do anything about you parking on city property and locking your gun in the car but if you, say, parked in a university-owned parking garage, they may have a little more say over whether or not you can even have a gun in your car.

Also, my campus was relatively open to the rest of the city so the sidewalks by the streets (not going through the quad) were city, not campus, so when I walked my dog along them "through" the campus (but on city streets) I was gtg. Had I strolled through the quad it may have been a different story.

I would check with the local SO/PD, too (even if your campus police are real, honest to god police). If I were the typical campus cop, I would go out of my way to dissuade students from having any sort of weapons anywhere anyhow.** You may never get a straight answer from campus police either due to ignorance of the specific laws and details on their part or the fact that they just don't want to deal with someone bringing a gun on campus in their car. The local SO/PD might be able to give you info from a less biased standpoint.

**Remember, the media outrage over shootings is "how did the shooter get a hold of guns!?!" not "why didn't the campus allow CCW so someone could stop him?" Schools almost NEVER see guns as anything other than a massive liability.

bulbvivid
08-24-10, 14:12
Tennessee code related to schools:

(a) As used in this section, “weapon of like kind” includes razors and razor blades, except those used solely for personal shaving, and any sharp pointed or edged instrument, except unaltered nail files and clips and tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance.

(b) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class E felony.

(c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

(2) A violation of this subsection (c) is a Class B misdemeanor.

(d) (1) Each chief administrator of a public or private school shall display in prominent locations about the school a sign, at least six inches (6²) high and fourteen inches (14²) wide, stating:

FELONY. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF SIX (6) YEARS IMPRISONMENT AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($3,000) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.

(2) As used in this subsection (d), “prominent locations about a school” includes, but is not limited to, sports arenas, gymnasiums, stadiums and cafeterias.

(e) The provisions of subsections (b) and (c) do not apply to the following persons:

(1) Persons employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard when in discharge of their official duties and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms or weapons;

(2) Civil officers of the United States in the discharge of their official duties;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the state, or of any county, city or town, charged with the enforcement of the laws of the state, when in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Any pupils who are members of the reserve officers training corps or pupils enrolled in a course of instruction or members of a club or team, and who are required to carry arms or weapons in the discharge of their official class or team duties;

(6) Any private police employed by the administration or board of trustees of any public or private institution of higher education in the discharge of their duties; and

(7) Any registered security guard/officer who meets the requirements of title 62, chapter 35, and who is discharging the officer's official duties.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 1029, § 8; 1991, ch. 510, §§ 1-3; 1996, ch. 1009, § 24.]

There are some exceptions to this, which likely varies from school to school. ETSU has a rifle club, and I can bring my gun to the range there (as an alumnus), but I have to leave it at the range for the whole semester. UT may have some similar provisions for certain situations.

QuickStrike
08-25-10, 14:20
Here in CO, you can keep it in a compartment in a locked car, which is essentially an extension of your property.

You can also keep a loaded pistol in the car for personal defense.