PDA

View Full Version : "Getting Things Done"

rob_s
08-24-10, 13:30
I'm reading (on the iBooks app on my phone, ironically) Getting Things Done (https://secure.davidco.com/store/catalog/GETTING-THINGS-DONE-PAPERBACK-p-16175.php) by David Allen.

I'm finding more and more that between work, writing, family, and trying to actually enjoy life I keep running out of time and things keep slipping through the cracks. So far this system seems pretty good, if somewhat confusing and daunting at the same time. There is an iPhone app that applies many of the principals of this system as well.

One of the things I like most is that you can have "projects" that then have "next tasks". So, for example, if I'm writing an article on a BCM carbine, that is the project, while the next task may simply be to photograph the gun. The project as a whole may seem daunting but breaking it into individual and immediate tasks makes it seem less so, and gets it done more quickly.

Anyone else use this system? Anyone have another system they use? In the intro to the book he talks about people being frustrated with a lifetime of systems from paper notes to various electronic solutions, which really hit home for me having tried and failed at a lot of other ways of managing my time.

m4fun
08-24-10, 13:53
Definately from the work perspective - yes. Life can be mapped into MS - project, but my wife would kill me if she saw that. For work, take it to Enterprise level where resources are other people...and the peoples times.

All tasks must be agile(best plans go out the window after the first bullet.) Some are concurrent, some are sequential. What is the major gatcha is getting too much detail...putting too much detail/minor tasks as this creates too much busy work, away from the goal itself. For me it has been a balance to identify big vs mid vs little items.

Remember - if you have 10 priorities, you have none...

rob_s
08-24-10, 14:00
That is certainly one of my concerns, that managing the list becomes a fulltime job in itself. I've gotten sucked down that tube before.

My hope with this system, and the app to accompany it, is that it will somewhat manage itself. To re-use the article example, I am hopeful that it has the ability to copy a standard project, and then that as soon as I complete and check off one task the next one in the project list shows up. For example.

Project: BCM Carbine Article

contact dealer re: transfer
pick up gun at dealer
setup gun (optics, sling, holster, sights, etc.)
photograph gun - teasers
shoot in match
shoot in class
shoot in drills
write article
photograph gun - finals
submit article

what I'm hoping is that crossing #4 off the list will automatically move #5 onto the list, but we shall see.

Safetyhit
08-24-10, 15:49
The problem with these types of things is that they themselves require maintenance and mental effort. One must be disciplined to use them effectively, but they can work as well as save time if properly utilized.

I have something similar I use for my company, but I have so much to do anymore that I often forget to update the system as to what has been done, what has yet to be done and status changes. Sometimes I just say screw it and pull out the ultra simple yet still effective note pad.

rob_s
08-24-10, 15:54
The note pad has worked for me, albeit not well, for a long time, but I find myself wanting to combine a whole slew of responsibilities (personal, family, day job, gunwriting, fun, etc.) into one system. There are times when I'm at the range when I could be answering a work email, and times when I'm at work that I could be writing articles, making dentist appointments, etc. Just looking to make the best use of my time, and I like the GTD concept that once it's out of your brain and into a system it kind of frees up your brain and reduces worry. I think that, and dissecting projects into bites, is really the key and after that it becomes minutia.

I don't mind maintaining the list/system once a day or (as the book advocates) once a week if it means it reduces the stress of feeling like I'm getting NOTHING done.

PrivateCitizen
08-24-10, 16:23
I do something like the GTD concept he outlines in the book. I am digitized most of the day so I use the iPhone app (Things) and its desktop (for Mac) counter-part.
(screencast (http://culturedcode.com/things/screencast.html))

@home, @work, @range, @shopping, etc for contexts and the typical projects.

Using additional 'tags' I can whittle those into a particular set of things such as @10min (things that only take me 10min).

So, when I need I can see everything that is @home and takes 10 min. Or even just @10min. I have 10 free right now with nothing immediate, what could I be doing? See: @10 min.

Once full scale I was surprised how many of those blocks I had.

It definitely takes some modification of your usual pre-GTD routine to implement but once done it begins to become second nature.

The biggest hurdle for me was the 'Inbox' … the simple but all to important habit of just getting things ON the list.

I like it … it has streamlined my day. I spend less time futzing with that I could/should be doing and that time doing it. It frees me up and additionally has all but eliminated the 'oh, crap, I gotta …" things that used to come up more and more.

I definitely seem to be doing more of the things I want to be doing.

rob_s
08-24-10, 16:49
Those are the apps I'm looking at too, and I may even go to the expense of buying a Mac to use at home to be able to do so.

I wish they had an interface for Outlook though, as that would be better. Or simply a web-based app that would synch with the iPhone but also work with any computer.

lalakai
08-24-10, 20:22
"organizing" your life/work, has as many options as "dieting" does. Each person will find their own method that works best; you just need to experiment.

I keep a log book for work. Simple spiral bound, logs my start time, phone calls, projects, interruptions....everything. At the end of the day, I review my work and identify 1-3 primary tasks for the next day, along with 2-5 secondary goals. Once you get set in the pattern it becomes second nature. Once you have the pattern, then you can start adding to it; twice a month log your activities in 15 minute blocks, write down your weight from the morning, then record what you eat throughout the day. Surprisingly it doesn't take that much time, and it will save you time. You will have a running log of all your phone calls, all your walk-ins, all work conversations, all meeting notes................all in one place.

with technology today, you might be able to do the same thing with a smart phone, but i prefer having the ability to flip through pages and actually read what i wrote.

good luck