PDA

View Full Version : Kimber or Wilson Combat?

ranger7541
08-24-10, 18:04
Alright, I own a Springfield XDm and I love it to death but I am looking for a .45 to use for Police work. Now I have settled to two companies Kimber and Wilson Combat. Price says Kimber but both are great pistols. So I am taking a vote. Who likes what for a full sized .45?

Littlelebowski
08-24-10, 18:14
S&W M&P with Apex duty trigger upgrades.

Secondly, Wilson Combat over Kimber no question.

Army Chief
08-24-10, 18:16
Not really an apples-to-apples comparison, or even close to one, really.

Wilson's deserves the nod here.

AC

LHS
08-24-10, 18:19
Wilsons are far and beyond better.

That said, unless you're going to spend a ton of time, effort and money in a 1911, you'd be better served with an M&P45 with an Apex kit.

ranger7541
08-24-10, 18:39
Mainly looking for 1911 but I also do like the M&P. What is this apex duty trigger you are talking about? Never heard of it so you hit an interest.

Irish
08-24-10, 18:47
Mainly looking for 1911 but I also do like the M&P. What is this apex duty trigger you are talking about? Never heard of it so you hit an interest.

I have a Wilson CQB and it's hands down superior to Kimber, period. Here's all the info you need on the apex: https://www.m4carbine.net/gtsearch.php?cx=003496919632624929056%3Adhiwgm0hbaa&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=apex&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D61031#1089

For future reference follow the directions in my sig line for searching nirvana. Best of luck in your quest.

1911GunNut
08-24-10, 18:53
Wilson hands down. I'd rather have a CQB than 6 Kimbers.

Love my CQB Elite....

cdunn
08-24-10, 19:22
I've HAD a kimber,there customer service was good they fixed my pistol every time I sent it to them.I wouldn't pee on another one if it were on fire.your kind of comparing a horse cart and a Ducati.wilson with out a second thought,I'm tired or buying stuff that might work.
this is just my opinion that usually dosen't count for much.

pcf
08-24-10, 19:25
If you can afford two Wilsons go that route. Otherwise I would get two Kimbers and shoot them enough to be comfortable with them. In my book having only one personally owned duty gun is not a good plan.

What happens when you get in a shooting or your pistol breaks? Who provides a replacement? Who's responsible for armoring your pistol?

Personally there's no way H*** I'd carry a Wilson on duty. There are plenty of other really good duty pistols out there to risk that nice of a gun.

cdunn
08-24-10, 19:53
there are plenty of other 1911's out there,I've got a S&W 1911 pd with only about 3k round through with no issues,and its a much better then my kimber ever thought about being.Id get baer ,brown, nighthawk, springfield,colt, well you get the picture,before a kimber

Blinking Dog
08-24-10, 21:11
I've got a WC CQB...love it. Outshoots me for sure. Super accurate, absolutely reliable.

SHIVAN
08-24-10, 21:16
Wilson Combat in this comparison is like the Mercedes S550.

Kimber in this comparison is like the Ford Focus.

I like my Kimber Warrior, but I believe the WC is superior in every way from my personal time shooting them.

Abraxas
08-24-10, 21:33

I have had great luck with my Kimber. That said I agree with this

556mp
08-24-10, 21:44

Wilsons are far and beyond better.

That said, unless you're going to spend a ton of time, effort and money in a 1911, you'd be better served with an M&P45 with an Apex kit.

I agree with LHS, and Littlelebowski. M&P with DCAEK. I love mine.
Link to APEX DCAEK (https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid16.html)

Unless your set on a 1911. Then I cant give an opinion as I have not shot them extensively.

SWATcop556
08-24-10, 21:58
A quick search will show several threads about "which 1911" is "the choice.". That being said I would also read everything you can here:

www.10-8performance.com

Make sure you are willing to commit time, effort, and $$$ to carrying a 1911 for duty use.

I have a kimber I picked up for $900 then spent another $600 on upgrades and a reliability package from a well respected smith. It's one of my favorite 1911's ever.

If we are voting straight OTB then the Wilson 10 out of 10 times.

DocGKR
08-24-10, 22:16
Kimber? I hope you were kidding...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

A properly customized 5" steel-frame single-stack 1911 in .45 ACP is a superb, unparalleled choice for the dedicated user willing to spend a significant amount of money to get it properly initially set-up and considerable time to maintain it. Keep in mind with 1911 pistols that calibers other than .45 ACP and barrels shorter than 5" induce increasingly greater problems. I personally will not use any 1911 with a Schwartz firing pin safety (like on the Kimber II pistols) as I have seen high numbers of them fail; the Colt Series 80 firing pin safety is the only one I might trust for urban LE use, but they have also been known to fail in harsh environments (particularly surf zone and high dust) so I generally prefer a standard USG style 1911 pistol w/o firing pin safety. However, I personally would not choose to carry most stock or even semi-custom 1911's on duty without making sure they were set-up properly with reliable function, durable parts, and ergonomic execution. I firmly believe that if you want a 1911 for serious use, the minimum level of quality for a duty/carry weapon is the SA Pro model (either PC9111 or PC9111LR if you want a light rail); if you’re not willing to invest that much into the weapon system, don't get a 1911... I write this after being around quite a few 1911's over the past two decades of military and LE duty, including GI, commercial Colt, SA (Milspec, Loaded, MC Oper, Professional models), Wilson, Kimber, Nighthawk, Les Baer, and Para Ord, as well as custom pistols by folks like Bill Laughridge, Wayne Novak/Joe Bonar, Ed Brown, John Jardine, Hilton Yam, Larry Vickers, and Chuck Rogers. I'd strongly recommend anyone contemplating a 1911 for serious use read all of the material on 1911's here: http://www.10-8performance.com/Articles.html. For folks who want a .45 ACP pistol, but don't want to invest the funds and effort into getting a good 1911, they would be better served with the S&W M&P45 or HK45

In fact, these days, if I already didn’t have several 1911’s that were as reliable as my 9 mm Glocks, along with extensive accessories for 1911’s, I would just use an S&W M&P45 w/Apex duty kit if I desired a .45 ACP pistol."

Whatever you choose, make sure you fire at least 500 and preferably 1000 failure free shots through your pistol prior to carrying it. If your pistol cannot fire at least 1000 consecutive shots without a malfunction, something is wrong and it is not suitable for duty/self-defense use.

superr.stu
08-24-10, 22:22
for an out of the box gun I'd look at Wilson, Nighthawk, SA TRP, ect...

though personally I didn't have the money for a new Wilson, picked up a STI Spartan (because it is so well fitted) for about $600 and have been working on upgrading the internals.

ranger7541
08-24-10, 23:01
Well I am loving the feedback but here is the issue. The department I am going to has a list of approved weapons and WC and Kimber are the two for 1911. Issue I also run into is price and I'd hate to beat up such a nice WC pistol on duty but don't want to buy a POS.

Irish
08-24-10, 23:06
Well I am loving the feedback but here is the issue. The department I am going to has a list of approved weapons and WC and Kimber are the two for 1911. Issue I also run into is price and I'd hate to beat up such a nice WC pistol on duty but don't want to buy a POS.

How about looking for a used Wilson? I got mine barely used and saved about 35% off of new. Barely holster worn from a few presentations and outside of that the thing's in tip top shape. I'm sure the reason Kimber is on the list is due to their marketing and presence, not from a QC and reliability stand point.

Remember, the 1911 is a great weapon but also takes a lot of knowledge, magic & voodoo to keep running well. Unless you want to spend a considerable amount of time & money learning about it and how to keep it in top running condition you'd definitely be better served with the M&P or a Glock.

David Thomas
08-24-10, 23:35
If your department will allow you to carry a customized Kimber, this would be a great option:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58808

MarshallDodge
08-25-10, 00:04
Wilson. The parts quality is superior if you get their bulletproof option.

Omega Man
08-25-10, 02:25
I liked my Kimber SIS, but Wilson Combat has a much better reputation for making really good 1911's. You will pay much more for the Wilson of course.

rathos
08-25-10, 03:06
Between the two you gave I would go wilson. But, overall I would go with an M&P .45. More rounds per mag, and a lot less expensive.

With their purchase program for LEO you could get one for much less then sticker and spend the extra to retail on Mags and a holster. That way god forbid you ever get into a shooting you have a $500 gun sitting in evidence for however long it takes (I have a friend with a 1911 that has been sitting in property for over 2 years now cause the puke lived). For the cost of a wilson you could buy 3 or more M&P .45s. While the Apex stuff is nice, I prefer to leave a duty gun stock. The trigger really isn't that bad after about 500 rounds, and gets a bit better after a 1000. If you want you can even get one with a manual safety so its more like a 1911 and adds another layer of safety in case of a gun grab.

good luck on your search.

crusader377
08-25-10, 11:29
Given the two choices, I would go with the Wilson Combat. However, although I really like the 1911 for the historical value and shootability, I think a S&W M&P 45 is a much better pick for several reasons. The M&P has great ergonomics, very good accuracy, and great reliability. It is also a great value and for the cost of the Wilson Combat, you can buy a M&P 45 ($500-$600) and a BCM/DD carbine ($1000) and still have $500 to $1000 to spare.

ccoker
08-25-10, 11:46
guns are tools, if they get beat up, so be it

Like the others say, there's no contest

If you aren't married to 45 and like a 1911, check out the Spec Ops from Wilson

Mine has over 3K rounds without a single hiccup

QuickStrike
08-25-10, 13:51
Have you given the HK's a look? :p

I'm following Todd Green's endurance testing for a while and gotdamn...

Anyway, if you're stuck on 1911's the Wilson Combat is vastly superior. For the long haul, maybe get a few extra items fitted:

Extractor (or two)
slide stop
firing pin
firing pin stop

Someone like Steve Morrison (MARS Armament) offer to fit such spares for something like $125 I believe. Not sure if the price is different without the entire custom package.

cdunn
08-25-10, 15:57
Personally there's no way H*** I'd carry a Wilson on duty. There are plenty of other really good duty pistols out there to risk that nice of a gun.

its meant to be a tool not a paperweight,I feel like me and my family are worth the price of a wilson.Have you ever heard the $10.00 helmet for a $10.00 head?we bought our new van because it suppose to be safe,not safe sitting in our drive way because we don't want to mess it up.

ranger7541
08-25-10, 18:34
its meant to be a tool not a paperweight,I feel like me and my family are worth the price of a wilson.Have you ever heard the $10.00 helmet for a $10.00 head?we bought our new van because it suppose to be safe,not safe sitting in our drive way because we don't want to mess it up.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense. Ok Wilson I kicking ass here but the main question I have is what are the main issues with Kimbers then? I mean do parts fail or something? What is the real issue?

MarshallDodge
08-25-10, 19:46
Kimbers prices are high for what you get especially with their inconsistent quality.

They use a firing pin safety system in most of their guns that is not needed in my opinion. Wilson does not have them in their guns.

They use MIM parts in their guns and this is where the inconsistencies rear their heads. MIM is a process where powdered metal is pressed into a shape then heat treated rather than machined from a solid block of steel. Like any manufacturing the part is only as good as the quality control. There are quite a few MIM parts in the M&P45 that everyone is recommending so it can be done right but some manufacturers use it to cut cost.

I believe Wilson uses some investment cast parts in their builds but they have a much higher QC program and will put all machined steel parts in the gun if you order them that way.

Kimber builds their guns for the masses, many of whom will never attend a serious training class or shoot the gun more than 3 or 4 times a year. Once in a while you will hear of one that will run like a top but my personal experience with their newer models has been hit and miss.

There are a lot of little things that go into a 1911 to not only make it accurate but reliable. This is where Wilson will come through for you.

Boris
08-25-10, 21:16
Wilson has a great reputation for quality pistols which come at a price.

My Kimber (Series 1 Custom Target) with over 40k rds has just one upgrade - a Wilson Bullet Proof Extractor. After many years of IDPA matches and concealed carry, it is 100% reliable with factory FMJ/JHP ammo.

That said, I currently carry a M&P45 fs and would not consider Kimber 1911s any longer unless they were Series 1 guns. As for the M&P, I love the ergos and reliability.

Gramps
08-25-10, 21:31

What may I ask is your life worth? Saved money, or a semi expensive reliable works when needed life saver?

CoryCop25
08-25-10, 21:47
You can not put a price on your life or the life of someone who you may save, so as far as I am concerned, if you are allowed to choose your own duty pistol, buy the best you can afford. I would go with the Wilson hands down. Just think of how cool a well used, holster worn, Wilson would look in your duty rig to someone else who knows the quality of what you are carrying! :dirol:

Business_Casual
08-26-10, 06:16
I was under the impression that these "vs." threads were verboten; particularly in light of the reams of information already posted in previous threads and in the sticky threads. Not so?

B_C

Watrdawg
08-26-10, 07:13
I had a Kimber CDP II and loved it. Unfortunately it was stolen out of my truck. Before that happened I had put close to 2000 rounds through it with only 3 Stovepipes. My fault though. I'm still looking for a replacement 1911 and have pretty much settled on a Les Baer Commanche. 4.25" barrell and a full size grip. The cost is fairly close to my Kimber and a whole lot less than the Wilson. If I had the $$ I'd definitely drop it on the Wilson. That will be a bit down the road though.

In the mean time I've purchased a M&P45 midsize with the DCAEK and polished tigger from G&R Tactical.

LHS
08-26-10, 09:43
I had a series I Kimber and loved it. Then I got a Wilson CQB and saw what I was missing. The gun quite simply shoots better than I can. It digests the weirdest stuff (it seems to have a predilection for the old-style 200-gr Cor-Bon +p stuff, of all things), and is boringly reliable. It never had a malfunction that wasn't induced by crappy mags. That Kimber was a decent gun, but the Wilson is a great gun.

woodandsteel
08-26-10, 09:51

Do you feel comfortable posting the entire approved weapons list?

I'm curious as to what your department will allow. I'm also curious if there may be a beter choice on that list than what you are considering.

Mjolnir
08-26-10, 12:18
Wilson, Springfield Armory TRP, Les Baer, Nighthawk are far better than Kimber (though all have issues at times it seems). Statistically, you'd be better served with the ones listed (by many people).

I would look long and hard at the HK45, too. Go to www.pistol-training.com and read Todd's ~28,000 flawless rounds through one example - including the LEM-modified action.

The drawbacks to the HK (compared to the M&P45) is cost of the pistol and magazines. I like the HK45 much better though.

Mjolnir
08-26-10, 12:21
Anyway, if you're stuck on 1911's the Wilson Combat is vastly superior. For the long haul, maybe get a few extra items fitted:

Extractor (or two)
slide stop
firing pin
firing pin stop

Someone like Steve Morrison (MARS Armament) offer to fit such spares for something like $125 I believe. Not sure if the price is different without the entire custom package.
I concur.

SHIVAN
08-26-10, 12:26
Just for my sample size of three, I've used two Kimber Warriors in classes since whenever they first came out, and a TLE/RLII before that...

Barring the 1911 Operator's Class, where we tore the gun down and did some supervised WECSOG gunsmithing, the gun has never had a failure to do anything. Even in the 1911 Operator's class it took 3 minutes to fix the extractor after we had "adjusted" it on the bench.

This means very little, maybe nothing, but I've seen high end customs choke and shit the bed in that time. Including front sights dropping off the pistol, extraction and ejection issues, broken Bulletproof and Hardcore parts, etc...

I also purchased a problem Kimber Warrior from another user here, once upon a time. I sent it to Novak's, and in a few weeks + ~$400, it was a prime example of semi-custom 1911 goodness.

I would easily have put that Warrior, up against any $1600 1911 on the market. It was so nicely prepped that it led me to selling my two RRA 1911's.

Again, consider my very low sample size, and the overall hit or miss quality you might get with current Kimber production, and look for a good seller with a good price on a known reliable gun.

That applies to Wilson Combat or Kimber. Paying full retail is for suckers. :cool:

pcf
08-26-10, 13:59

And if your helmet meets snell/dot standards higher cost means you're paying for comfort and cosmetics not better protection. Not saying comfort and to a degree cosmetics aren't important, but where is the line drawn between value and a stupid sales line used to sell expensive motorcycle helmets?

Once you get a duty gun good enough for duty where's the line drawn?

One night at work a pit bull/lab mix tried to eat me and the behavior was corrected. At the time the department had a policy that any firearm involved in an on duty discharge had to be collected as evidence and submitted for forensic evaluation. This happened in the middle of winter and between working freeway accidents, getting sand/salt spray on everything and constantly getting in and out of a heated squad car I was fighting with the rust on my Sig. I got issued a loaner and 4 weeks later I get my pistol back and the blued parts were covered in rust. After throwing a huge hissy fit the range replaced the barrel, control levers and grips screws. Not the end of the world, but I was a little upset.

That's relatively minor, I got my gun back, it got fixed and was in better shape than before. It didn't get covered in blood and eaten, lost in the property room, etc. But it was an eye opener that a duty is a duty gun, and that bad things will happen to them. When it goes in the property room, you get it back on whenever a detective gets around to releasing it, whenever that may be.

Business_Casual
08-26-10, 15:34
That's what you call perspective, well said.

B_C

ccoker
08-26-10, 15:55
Not LE, but shooting the same gun as most of the other guys in your department would certainly have some advantages...

kihnspiracy
08-27-10, 04:19
I have both. Get the Wilson CQB for duty use.

macman37
08-27-10, 10:31

Winnah.

willowofwisp
08-27-10, 10:33
Winnah.

+1 to this

Kchen986
08-27-10, 10:44
Definitely Wilson Combat over Kimber. When I purchased my first 1911, I researched the heck out of Kimber. Too many reported problems. To be fair, that was about 2 years ago, and since then I have seen a lot of Kimbers shoot without problems. Regardless, Wilson Combat is top of the line when it comes to 1911s. Don't forget TRPs either. I have heard nothing but great things about them and they cost about the same as Kimber.

With that said, I'd pick an USP45 or Hk45 for duty first.

Business_Casual
08-27-10, 10:58
Don't forget TRPs either. I have heard nothing but great things about them and they cost about the same as Kimber.

Does it not strike you as unwise to offer advice on a duty pistol that you've never owned or shot, let alone evaluated?

B_C

loupav
08-27-10, 11:07
Wilson or Nighthawk. I'd go with Nighthawk.

theJanitor
08-27-10, 11:23
If your department will allow you to carry a customized Kimber, this would be a great option:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58808

While this gun has been superbly reliable, and accurate, and I would love to sell it, I would be hesitant to sell it to someone like the OP.

It was built by a cop as a fighting gun and I have total faith in it, but getting a good 1911 is the EASY part. Being a 1911 user is the HARD part.

ranger7541, I don't know your experience level with the 1911, but listen to DocGKR, read the 10-8 forums, and really make up your mind if you want to be a 1911 user. Even if you commit yourself to being one, and you find a great gun, don't press the gun/yourself into duty service until you really know how to run it, and maintain it.

I've been running nice 1911's for 20 years, and I'm still learning better ways to run it and service it all the time. there is so much information out there, from very credible sources, that have very different outlooks on this platform. that tells you that you'll embark on a long journey of learning, and also that you need to be savvy enough to filter all that info, and meld it all together into a training/maintenance program that's right for you.

if you can't commit to that, do like the Doc says, and get a MP45 or HK45.

kaltblitz
08-27-10, 11:31
I consider an entry level duty 1911 to be a Springfield Pro, Ed Brown SF or Wilson CQB.

Anything less (Kimber, Springfield Loaded, etc) and you are taking a huge gamble. We've had WAY too many issues with Kimbers at my department. Most of the guys that originally bought them have switched to Ed Brown or Wilson.

If you want to play in the 1911 game you have to be willing to fork out the money on it and dedicate the time to learning how to use it properly.

Another alternative is the S&W M&P or the HK45.

Kchen986
08-27-10, 11:44
Does it not strike you as unwise to offer advice on a duty pistol that you've never owned or shot, let alone evaluated?

B_C

Actually, a guy at the range let me shoot his TRP when I let him shoot my AR with ACOG. But what the hell do I know, I'm just some guy. ;)

BattleDrill3
08-27-10, 12:15
I think the overall theme here is that Wilson Combat makes many pistols far beyond the reach of Kimber. Kimber's use in movies, plus high-profile models used within the ranks of LAPD SWAT and SIS have lead many to think these are all truly custom 1911's. They are not.

That being said, Kimber's aren't terrible pistols; many simply are not in the same league. Details, gentlemen. Details are what separate good from world-class.

Give Nighthawk Custom a hard look as well. The Enforcer is essentially the same as the discontinued Larry Vickers model minus a few small differences, and the T3 carry pistol is out of this world.

theJanitor
08-27-10, 14:46
OP says he's authorized to use a Kimber or Wilson. advising on anything else is irrelevant.

David Thomas asked a question that needs to be answered, ARE MODIFIED PISTOLS APPROVED? My kimber will run with any gun out there. Vickers has built full house guns off of Kimbers. So does Chuck Rogers. so they can be made to be just as good or better than a Wilson.

Dollar for Dollar, using current production models, I would of course use a Wilson. Are there better pistols than the wilson? I believe so. Are there better custom kimbers than wilsons? I believe so.

I believe the better question is: Is the OP ready for a 1911 as a duty gun? judging by the nature of the question, i don't think he's well versed enough in them to be considering them.

If my assessment is wrong, my deepest apologies to the OP

theJanitor
08-27-10, 14:50
Vickers Kimber (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186584563)

would I take this over a Wilson? Damn straight, I would. I own a Vickers Colt, and if this Kimber meets Larry's standards, then i'd say it's GTG

Irish
08-27-10, 14:59
Vickers Kimber (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186584563)

would I take this over a Wilson? Damn straight, I would. I own a Vickers Colt, and if this Kimber meets Larry's standards, then i'd say it's GTG

And it's cheap! :dirol:

theJanitor
08-27-10, 15:06
And it's cheap! :dirol:

:lol: my point was, that finding a quality 1911 from either Kimber or Wilson is relatively simple (cost notwithstanding), but getting the user ready for the 1911 isn't.

BattleDrill3
08-27-10, 15:07
It sounds like we can agree on the most important thing here: at the root of any of these discussions lies a simple reminder to have an open mind. "Which of whatever is the best?" threads tend to yield little. Yes, one company may have a stronger reputation but many of the thoughts will be made on assumptions vs. first hand experience.

That being said, I don't know too many people who would choose an out-of-the-box Kimber over a Wilson. Regardless, after purchasing a 1911, regardless of the model, you will likely tune it and make it your own. And I would certainly take that Vickers Kimber without hesitation.

bsafe
08-27-10, 15:15
I'd rather buy a $2000.00 1911 and then get $5000.00 worth of training from Larry Vickers. ;)

wl518
08-27-10, 21:39

Won't have to worry about that with an apex M&P 45. But if your mind is set on WC or Kimber, ask yourself, is your life worth the price???? I know if I had to be put in a life or death situation and you gave me those 2 options, I'd grab the WC regardless of price. In your line of work your life and the well being of others are priceless.

User Name
08-27-10, 23:20
Having owned several of both Wilson hands down. No comparison.

Jake'sDad
08-28-10, 00:16
Just for my sample size of three, I've used two Kimber Warriors in classes since whenever they first came out, and a TLE/RLII before that...

Barring the 1911 Operator's Class, where we tore the gun down and did some supervised WECSOG gunsmithing, the gun has never had a failure to do anything. Even in the 1911 Operator's class it took 3 minutes to fix the extractor after we had "adjusted" it on the bench.

This means very little, maybe nothing, but I've seen high end customs choke and shit the bed in that time. Including front sights dropping off the pistol, extraction and ejection issues, broken Bulletproof and Hardcore parts, etc...

I also purchased a problem Kimber Warrior from another user here, once upon a time. I sent it to Novak's, and in a few weeks + ~$400, it was a prime example of semi-custom 1911 goodness.

I would easily have put that Warrior, up against any $1600 1911 on the market. It was so nicely prepped that it led me to selling my two RRA 1911's.

Again, consider my very low sample size, and the overall hit or miss quality you might get with current Kimber production, and look for a good seller with a good price on a known reliable gun.

That applies to Wilson Combat or Kimber. Paying full retail is for suckers. :cool:

If you played Lotto, could you tell me what numbers you'd pick? Cause I'm picking them.....

JonInWA
08-28-10, 08:00
Out of the alternatives provided by the original poster, I'd suggest Wilson-albeit with some caveats. I would bluntly question the advisability of going with any 1911 platform pistol for hard duty/LEO/Mil use, particularly without having developed an experiential skill-set and expertise on the platform.

In my experience, owning a 1911 is both an art and a science. If any problems/parts replacements are needed, you'll likely need a gunsmith (or sufficient gunsmithing skills) to properly fit parts to said gun (so, realistically, you'll need not just one, but two 1911s when making the choice to run a 1911 as your duty gun). If you're involved in a duty-related shooting, your gun will be set aside as evidence-potentially for years, and kept in an environment not necessarly conducive to you 1911's well-being.

Pay attention to what experienced and discerning users and observers (like DocGKR and Larry Vickers, among others) say. There is some very prescient advice from Hilton Yam on running a 1911 for duty (and the appropriateness of some of the available choices) on his 10-8 Performance website.

I'm not saying not to get a 1911. I cherish and enjoy mine (for the record, a custom-spec'ed Nighthawk Custom Talon II, a SIG-Sauer GSR, and a 1945 Remington-Rand). Take the time to develop the expertise on the platform-and then make an objective, informed, and impartial decision if it's an acceptable duty platform for you.

Personally, if you're being driven by a desire to go with a .45 ACP platform for duty use, I would suggest going with a Glock 21/HK45/M&P.

Best, Jon

Omega Man
08-28-10, 08:07
Nice reply Jon. That about says it all.

Army Chief
08-28-10, 08:47
I'm more than a little amazed that this thread is even still open, given that (a) it wasn't really a comparison of peer competitors to begin with, and (b) the OP's question has now been answered many times over.

Most Kimbers are very nice; and a few of them are truly excellent.
Most Wilsons are truly excellent; and a few of them are very nice.

AC

WillBrink
08-28-10, 08:54
Alright, I own a Springfield XDm and I love it to death but I am looking for a .45 to use for Police work. Now I have settled to two companies Kimber and Wilson Combat. Price says Kimber but both are great pistols. So I am taking a vote. Who likes what for a full sized .45?

Are you a 1911 shooter normally? Is the 1911 the duty gun you are assigned to carry? If the answer is no to both, you are far better off looking to the MnP, Glock, Sig, etc, and other high quality modern pistols.

I am a regular 1911 shooter, own some nice custom guns, but the MnP with APEX set up is the sh&%.

Good luck. :cool:

Jay Cunningham
08-28-10, 08:58
ATTN: "best", "which", and "vs." Threads in the Handgun Forum (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60651)