PDA

View Full Version : Moldova seizes 2kg Uranium-238, traffickers inc. former interior min. officials

tampam4
08-24-10, 21:06
http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=504131&articleID=

They wanted to sell it for 9 million Euros. It can't start a chain reaction on it's own, but can be converted into plutonium according to article.

TOrrock
08-24-10, 21:47
I wouldn't be worried about a fission or fusion bomb, I'd be more worried about someone getting ahold of that and making a dirty bomb and parking it in DC or a major Western European city.

tampam4
08-24-10, 22:03
That was my thought as well. How large of an area could one contaminate with 2 kilos of that stuff? Even if not very big, the effects would be devastating in a heavily populated, dense city.

mr_smiles
08-24-10, 22:41
I'm more worried about some redneck renting a uhaul with a forged dl.

I think we discussed this in an earlier thread, the biggest danger of a dirty bomb is the explosion not the radiation.

Complication
08-25-10, 13:35
I'm more worried about some redneck renting a uhaul with a forged dl.

I think we discussed this in an earlier thread, the biggest danger of a dirty bomb is the explosion not the radiation.

I believe I read a news article somewhere (big grain of salt warning) stating that you'd have to stand within a few feet of the explosion for a few hundred years or something to get contaminated enough for it to be a danger.

I agree that the explosion is more dangerous than the radiation. But I think the panic and fear (as with most terror weapons or tactics) are much more dangerous than any direct casualties.

kaiservontexas
08-25-10, 14:48
2KG is 4.4lbs of uranium, but processing that would take time, equipment, and would be far short of required needs if I read right.

Moose-Knuckle
08-25-10, 19:53
The DOE face shooters might take an interest in these ass clowns.