PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal?

Fyrhazzrd
08-24-10, 21:17
I don't know if this belongs in the NFA section, but I wasn't sure where else it would go.

I was wondering if it was legal to purchase or own an M287 trainer?

For those that don't know what one is; it is a trainer AT4 rocket launcher that fires 9mm ammunition.

If they are legal; why is it impossible to find one?

556mp
08-24-10, 21:53
Ummm... not sure what it would be classified as, or of your location, or why you'd want that. But, here is a rule that I tend to follow; if you have to ask, then no. Where did you see it for sale?

I did a quick search and found out that the M287 as well as the M190 are actually used with an expelled AT4 or LAW launcher. So... I'd have to go with no as an unofficial answer.

Fyrhazzrd
08-24-10, 22:41
I haven't seen one for sale. A friend of mine thought it would be cool to show up at a range with one. You have to admit the look on peoples faces would be hilarious. While I think it would be a bad idea, it would still be pretty funny.

Although I don't see why it would be illegal since it only fires 9mm ammo and only one at a time at that.

HK51Fan
08-24-10, 22:48
I agree. I don't see why it would be prohibited.

dyeman12
08-26-10, 11:44
OK, I'm rolling with you on this one...

Looks like you are referring to this attachment:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/23-25/23250088.gif

Seems like if you could find one for sale, it would be an FFL transfer as a firearm (curious if it even has a serial #). I would love to see your dealer's face when you went to pick it up because of course you would bring the launcher body to ensure fit and function...

I don't know about you, but my local dealer is a good ole boy named Dusty and I just could not image the ration of shite he would give me if I showed up with one of these... but lets not get off track here.

Now as for

A friend of mine thought it would be cool to show up at a range with one. You have to admit the look on peoples faces would be hilarious. While I think it would be a bad idea, it would still be pretty funny...

Looks like you would have a 40" long, 14 pound single shot 9mm over the shoulder beastie with a peep sight.

Problably not your first choice for a CCW weapon. :dance3:

Got any 9mm tracer for it?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/images/at4.jpg

-Too much time to kill in front of the PC.

LHS
08-26-10, 21:31
Although I don't see why it would be illegal since it only fires 9mm ammo and only one at a time at that.

If it mounts on an expelled AT4 tube, would the used tube still count as a DD? Or would it be considered expended and removed from the registry upon firing, since it's a disposable single-shot?

HK51Fan
08-26-10, 21:35
I think since it's a single shot device and ur not able to reload it, cobimed with the fact that it has a what is basically a 9mm single shot rilfe installed into the body of the tube. Then it's been demilled in my opion.

TY44934
08-27-10, 10:59
They've been used in 3gun.

On one 3gun competition stage, the competitor had to use an AT4 with a 9mm simulator to knock over a pepper=popper (a falling steel target used in IPSC), then carry the AT 4 while drawing & shooting cardboard & steel targets with the handgun. Of course, that was the AMU's show that they put on down at Ft. Benning & the AMU supplied the trainer plus the used at4.