PDA

View Full Version : Glock Tech Support

platoonDaddy
08-25-10, 10:57
Called Glock Hq Tech Support with an issue with FTF with my G17 Gen 4 "02" spring.

He said "are you dry firing without a snap-cap?" I said of course been doing that for years on all my Glock's. He went on to say the new manual that is in print will specifically state "dry firing without a snap-cap is harmful to the firing pin, spring and can't recall what other items he said. I said that is crap, if that was an issue it certainly would have at least made the Gen 3 owner's manual. So we pumped heads, but he is sending me another "02" spring.

I am sure the majority of you dry fire with ur handgun.

John_Wayne777
08-25-10, 13:35
It's not really a surprise to hear that from Glock. All the other gun manufacturers hold that dryfire should be done with snap caps as well. Dryfire breaks guns, although the Glock pistols seem to tolerate dryfire better than most others on the market.

I've heard, however, some recent reports about Gen4 Glocks breaking some strikers...so I would encourage you to take a look at your striker and make sure it's in functional condition.

tusk212
08-25-10, 14:15
Who did you speak to at Glock?

C4IGrant
08-25-10, 14:20
Called Glock Hq Tech Support with an issue with FTF issues with my G17 Gen 4 "02" spring.

He said "are you dry firing without a snap-cap?" I said of course been doing that for years on all my Glock's. He went on to say the new manual that is in print will specifically state "dry firing without a snap-cap is harmful to the firing pin, spring and can't recall what other items he said. I said that is crap, if that was an issue it certainly would have at least made the Gen 3 owner's manual. So we pumped heads, but his is sending me another "02" spring.

I am sure the majority of you dry fire with ur handgun.

This is GREAT! Where is Dinger at??? :shout:

"I only buy Glocks because I can dry fire them without a snap cap."

C4

platoonDaddy
08-25-10, 15:22
Who did you speak to at Glock?

Some good old boy, who is as hard head as I am. Didn't ask, was just upset about the FTF's and then his announcement about dry-firing without a snap-cap.

JHC
08-25-10, 16:17
I've never bothered with them except with my M&P Pro 9 but more and more I'm coming across the lesson about snap caps JohnWayne has published here so I'm coming around. It' perfectly logical. Times have changed a lot. 20 years ago, far fewer folks put out the volume of rounds than today - ditto for dry firing.

It's all over the place. Like travel baseball. Everything has gone "super sized" nowadays.

MadcapMagician
08-25-10, 21:42
A few pointers:
Glock Tech Support on the phones aren't big gun people. It's the job where the slackers and people that don't work are sent.

Dry-firing ain't going to hurt the gun anymore than a regular firing schedule of the same number of trigger pulls.

skyugo
08-26-10, 00:05
A few pointers:
Glock Tech Support on the phones aren't big gun people. It's the job where the slackers and people that don't work are sent.

Dry-firing ain't going to hurt the gun anymore than a regular firing schedule of the same number of trigger pulls.

so by this logic a snap cap won't help? :confused:
i'd say in normal firing most of the wear is on the loading system-ie, slide/recoil spring/barrel as opposed to the fire control mechanism.
dryfire puts basically all the wear on the fire control....

that said plenty of guys here have like 100k dry fires and 40k live fires with no problems...
plus glock will fix it if ya break it ;)

matthewdanger
08-26-10, 07:38
It is interesting that Glock would take this position since their handguns need to be dry fired in order to be field stripped.

Have their been any changes to the striker or striker channel in the Gen 4 Glocks or can we expect this to be their new position on dry firing Glocks from any generation?

I guess it is time to stop putting off buying some more snap caps.

Entropy
08-26-10, 07:49

Impacting the breechface is a hard, non giving material. Impacting a primer or snap cap is more cushioning. From a engineering and materials prospective, using snap caps should be easier on the striker/firing pin.

MadcapMagician
08-26-10, 08:18
Impacting the breechface is a hard, non giving material. Impacting a primer or snap cap is more cushioning. From a engineering and materials prospective, using snap caps should be easier on the striker/firing pin.

But is there any impact on the breechface? If so, how is it differnt than when there is a primer in the way? The firing pin tip of the assembly strikes thin air versus when a primer is there. Obviously something is stopping the assembly from travelling forward of it's channel, but is the stop of motion not the same whether there's a primer or not? If there wasn't a stopping action by the breechface on firing wouldn't there be issues with the firing pin sticking itself to the primer if it were a softer metal?

I've yet to hear of a new striker assembly for gen 4s or otherwise, and I've got a pretty good source. As mentioned above not dryfiring without a snap cap would make disassembly a source of problems.

Personal experience and that of many other high volume shooters/dry firers tends to lend credibility to the guns bein able to dryfire without snap caps. If you're that worried just get the snap caps and have a spare assembly on hand. No big deal.

C4IGrant
08-26-10, 09:00
It is interesting that Glock would take this position since their handguns need to be dry fired in order to be field stripped.

Have their been any changes to the striker or striker channel in the Gen 4 Glocks or can we expect this to be their new position on dry firing Glocks from any generation?

I guess it is time to stop putting off buying some more snap caps.

Yes, you have to dry fire to break the weapon down, but that is such a small number that there is no issue.

Those on the outside of the Glock kool-aid fence have known since DAY ONE that dry firing the Glock was not good for it. Glock knew it as well.

So no change in policy with Glock or the GEN 4's. It is just a bad idea to do a lot of dry firing with ANY pistol.

C4