PDA

View Full Version : Should I call the factory about this 229 E2?

welshrabbit
08-25-10, 16:04
Is this something I should call the factory about? The gun is brand new, ordered last week and bought Monday, and I didn't notice this at the store. I know to expect some wear but to me this seems a little excessive for something that has never been used.
In photos 1-4 I've highlighted the wear. In photo 5 I am curious about the colors (just oil?) and maybe concerned about the white rectangles that are parallel to each other. They are on both sides of the slide as well as the bottom of it.
Thanks

JHC
08-25-10, 16:10
Personally, I'd get to shooting the snot out of it and if it ran well and handled as good as those feel in the hand, I wouldn't care. You're under warranty so I'd have at it.

gtmtnbiker98
08-25-10, 16:20
That is normal wear and will get worse with use. As for the rainbow discoloration, that is caused by the clamp when applying the Nitron finish. All completely normal.

ST911
08-25-10, 16:22
Normal.

chriskc04
08-25-10, 19:44
Seems to me to be onna them workin guns.

I vote shoot the snot out of it.

Entropy
08-25-10, 22:27
As others have said, all the wear points you have shown are normal for the Sig design. It will wear more and more with time, but it does not effect performance. If anything, it loosens the pistol up a bit and makes function smoother. All pistols have different wear points depending on the particular design. Don't worry about any of it and enjoy the pistol.

SkiDevil
08-25-10, 22:46
As others have said, all the wear points you have shown are normal for the Sig design. It will wear more and more with time, but it does not effect performance. If anything, it loosens the pistol up a bit and makes function smoother. All pistols have different wear points depending on the particular design. Don't worry about any of it and enjoy the pistol.

Well stated. I have owned half-a-dozen SIGs and can completely validate what Entropy is saying. Especially, the part concerning the acceleration of those wear points after several thousand rounds.

Only thing that I would add, is that in my experience the SIG classic pistols function better and more reliably when properly lubricated.

Personally, I use both a synthetic oil and grease (RIG) on mine. I apply a small amount of grease to the inside of the barrel shroud, rails, and the top/ bottom of the barrel hood. Then apply the oil every several hundred rounds to the rails, barrel hood, etc. I clean my (SIG) range pistols every 1K to 1.5K rounds. This method of lubrication has worked extremely well for my needs.

Enjoy your pistol.;)
SkiDevil

welshrabbit
08-25-10, 23:32
Thanks. Even though I really like the grip on the classic line, I have to admit they improved it with the new grip.

Omega Man
08-26-10, 15:26
I ran 300 rds of various practice & defense ammo thru mine, during its 1st range trip. Function was flawless and the pistol was very accurate, as all my Sig's have been. I love the E2 229! So much so, that it replaced the P30 as my carry pistol. The SRT trigger is excellent.

John_Wayne777
08-26-10, 15:42
Sig barrels generally exhibit significant finish wear in short order. It's not something I would get too worked up about. If you start to see things like gouges, evidence of significant peening or cracking...then I'd be worried.

pcf
08-26-10, 15:58
Photo 5 is from the fixture used to hold the slide while the nitron is applied or coated (or whatever the correct term would be).