PDA

View Full Version : Para TTR / ZM LR300... requesting pics and opinions

masakari
08-25-10, 17:52
So I have wanted this rifle for years, and now para has rereleased it, at a slightly unnattractive price. Do any of you have this rifle? Any pics? Review? Opinions of it? I have 2 DI ARs that I love very mich, but this system has always called my name.
Thanks guys
-Joe

GermanSynergy
08-25-10, 19:14
So I have wanted this rifle for years, and now para has rereleased it, at a slightly unnattractive price. Do any of you have this rifle? Any pics? Review? Opinions of it? I have 2 DI ARs that I love very mich, but this system has always called my name.
Thanks guys
-Joe

For what they are asking for that carbine, you could have your pick of many other top shelf weapons. My experience with Para Ordnance pistols has been lackluster at best, so any carbine they are putting out I'd approach with caution.

sevin8nin
08-25-10, 22:22
I handled one at shot show and talked to the designer, but I have to say that while I think the design is interesting enough the implementation is not that impressive and the side folding stock is gimmicky at best. It immediately tore my beard up.
For $2400 I'd much rather have a noveske.

Magic_Salad0892
08-25-10, 23:08
For $2400, buy a BCM, Aimpoint, and ammo.

Or a rifle that is actually innovative. KAC SR-15. :cool::D

Firefly
09-12-10, 23:50
Hello, first post here so please bear with me.

I actually have an LR-300 I've had about two years now.
I have the model with the adjustable folding stock and the newer nylatron handguards. Mine was before Para Ordnance started selling them when you could get them through YHM. I have the YHM flip sights on mine which are really nice and suit the profile of the rifle well.
It also came with the Phantom Flash Hider.

My Opinions:

Well, if you want something "different" or something like an AR-15, but 'not' an AR-15. The LR-300 is, in this individual's opinion, a fun rifle. I would say it's more of a "gamer" rifle like some of the fancy 1911s you would see at IPSC in open class. The felt recoil seems a bit softer and there's no "sproing" when you fire the rifle(if that even bothers you, it doesn't bother me.) And the top rail is rather contiguous so you can put on whatever optics you like.

That being said......field stripping it and whatnot can be a chore. Its fatal flaw is the spring cap. Don't ever lose it. It's what keeps the main spring that covers the Gas Tube/Oprod part of the rifle and allows it to cycle seeing as how there is no buffer spring.

The stock is adjustable for length of pull and folds. Myself, folding stocks in and of themselves seem antiquated and the only benefit is really for storage if even that. The metal stock can get chilly or warm depending on conditions and is like most any other metal stock. It is sturdy(on mine at least) and there's no wobble. It's relatively solid.

I don't mean to ramble, but I'll say it here at this point:
If this is your first rifle, don't bother. Invest in a good quality Colt or LMT or any other "mil-spec" rifle with easily replaceable parts and interoperability. The spring cap and the Gas Tube/Oprod are proprietary...the BCG is truncated and the Bolt is same as usual.

I paid about 1900 dollars for mine and I already had a Colt 6920. It was worth it to me and I think it's a fun little rifle, but certainly not for everyone. It wouldn't make a good battle rifle and it's more of a novelty. I believe some things can be "just for fun" but you should know that it really is more of an obscure novelty rifle. An interesting footnote in the AR-15 world.

For those wondering you can use the upper with a normal lower and you don't need the folding stock.

I'd love to be able to find the 1911 style Delrin grip, but only got the A2 grip with the rifle. I have since replaced it with an Ergo.

Summary:
Worth the price of admission only if you know you will enjoy the ride.
I doubt most would consider it a serious fighting rifle.

Thanks for your time.

ETA: Here are some pictures I have of my rifle

Here is the total rifle as it is.
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=288&pictureid=1374

Here is the recoil spring, spring cap, and Gas tube/OpRod.
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=288&pictureid=1375

If one had to have a piston AR15, I'd recommend getting one without such an involved stripping process. Taking this thing apart reminds me of hand disassembling a 1911. Mess up with it and your plug will go shooting off across the room.

I'll also say further that I can see some real 1911 style influences to the upper design, but 1911s should stick to being 1911s and AR15s should stick to being AR15s.

However I still like my rifle.

Again Thanks for your time.

bkb0000
09-13-10, 00:38
good first post, firefly. welcome to the board.

as stated above, it should not be considered a fighting gun. fighting guns need to be on proven, well vetted platforms from manufacturers that do AR-pattern first, if not only. and pistons are basically novelty to begin with.

and the weapon is about twice as much as it should be.