PDA

View Full Version : My M&P is leaving me soon for some work..

willowofwisp
08-25-10, 23:11
After a few weeks of deliberating and contacting gunsmiths my m&p full size 9 that i purchased is getting sent out in a few weeks...i have a compact and a longslide to hold me over while its gone.

I wanted to make this gun the perfect carry gun for myself...which meant i wanted something the size of a g19...so the first mod that is getting done is a grip chop by either Bowie Tactical or Burwell, grip stippling and beaver tail removal, next inline is having the slide magna-ported along with the stock barrel, if i want to switch back i have an extra spec-ops barrel for replacement.

I still haven't decided on sights yet either Warren 2 dot or Heinie straight eights.

I also plan on having the slide melted and possibly some top/front cocking serrations machined onto the slide, the slide will be either melonited again or done in FDE

The last modification i am thinking of is adding a RMR to the slide but i am undecided as of now.

I am hoping that if all things come together the gun will be finished by December and while the total cost of this will probably add up to a new gun it should be worth it IMO.

TOrrock
08-26-10, 00:38
Sounds good, but honestly, I would not port the barrel or slide.

whiterabbit05
08-26-10, 01:05
Be sure to post pictures when you are done. :cool:

SWATcop556
08-26-10, 01:18
I'm good with everything except porting the barrel. I would just leave it stock. It's not like the 9mm is the harshest round to control. If it was a gaming/competition gun then get after it, but for a social gun I just don't see a need for the ported barrel.

I would say the Warrens are a good choice for your sights. Ameriglo also should get a serious look as well.

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 08:35
The porting is something i have wanted to do for awhile and i can always throw the spec ops barrel in the gun if/when i don't want to take advantage of teh ports, plus for the price 140$..its not a huge cost factor

Watrdawg
08-26-10, 08:40
How would porting affect night vision in low light situations?

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 08:42
well once again today we dispelled another myth of the ported gun! myself whoisjohngalt, combat comander and johns son were shooting indoors and i decided once again what good time to try this in front of a few witness! so we took johns xd ported 40 and shut all the lights off the range stood 7yds from the target (human form) and ran a mag through the gun and we got lots of good hits keeping them all on the target and no ill effects to us at all and was able to pick up the sight and target no issues!

That is a quote from RSF from MDFI from this forum

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11549

Watrdawg
08-26-10, 08:48
I was just wondering. It was an honest question with no intentions or implications what so ever. Never heard of this so-called myth one way or another.

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 09:01
I was just wondering. It was an honest question with no intentions or implications what so ever. Never heard of this so-called myth one way or another.

No i understand sorry if my response came off as offensive, i just thought quoting a well known trainer who has experience was the best answer.

Dano5326
08-26-10, 09:03
yeah... ok some guy said on the internet, must be true

the visual signature is the least important, but have you tried the visual signature with YOUR ammo/gun combo?

where is that gas & unburnt powder ported off going...?? in all positions & circumstance? off a "barricade" and into your eyes? others eyes? slicing you open?

Watrdawg
08-26-10, 09:04
No problem. Actually I learned something new today. The main reason I asked is because I shoot a ported 300 Win Mag and you can definitely feel the muzzle blast. I was thinking along those lines and how that translated to a handgun.

awm14hp
08-26-10, 09:46
Sounds like a great build if I wasnt in NY I would love to pick up and MP for carry gun but till I leave I am running the glocks so I dont have birth control mags in it. Put some picks up when you get it done

RogerinTPA
08-26-10, 10:14
I'm good with everything except porting the barrel. I would just leave it stock. It's not like the 9mm is the harshest round to control. If it was a gaming/competition gun then get after it, but for a social gun I just don't see a need for the ported barrel.

I would say the Warrens are a good choice for your sights. Ameriglo also should get a serious look as well.

Agreed.

To the OP: Just make sure your front sight on the Warrens or any after market sights are .160 for the M&P full size or compact. It is the correct height for those models. I've spent quite a bit of coin obtaining, then sending these various sights back and forth, as well as emailing manufacturers about this. The Warrens & Heinies ship with a .165 height front sight, which are good for L or Pro or using heavier or +P ammo on a regular bases. POI is off enough to frustrate you to no end when using 115 grain.

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 10:26
yeah... ok some guy said on the internet, must be true

the visual signature is the least important, but have you tried the visual signature with YOUR ammo/gun combo?

where is that gas & unburnt powder ported off going...?? in all positions & circumstance? off a "barricade" and into your eyes? others eyes? slicing you open?

actuslly I have taken a class and shot with that trainer and he now works for magpul dynamics....and I think he knows a thing or two.

I shot a ported 625 in ppc for a few years...in several different positions and off of barricades.

the ammo I use (124gr +p) had low muzzle flash..even out of a 19c I shot

bnanaphone
08-26-10, 10:27
I use to have a G35 that I bought a lone wolf 6" ported, .40, barrel for. The gun was fun and shot well but it was very noticeable when shooting with the ported barrel. Every pull of the trigger was like having someone clap their hands directly in front of my face. All shooting was done outdoors and never tried it inside. I also did shome night shooting with it and can say that the flash did affect my ability to see in the dark for some time. Granted I was shooting a ported .40 gun that had a total of 6 ports along the top of the barrel.

In my experience, I would avoid the ports unless you just swapped out barrels for competition.

Good luck.

TehLlama
08-26-10, 10:36
Ameriglo Front, 10-8 Rear?

That's the direction I'm going for my next M&P9FS

GermanSynergy
08-26-10, 10:38
OP,
As others have stated, if your M&P is gonna be for social use, I'd eschew the port job. It's unnecessary in a 9mm handgun, and offers no real benefit if you intend to use this weapon in a defensive situation. The M&P 9 is a soft shooter to begin with. :cool:

.45fmjoe
08-26-10, 13:40
I would forgo the porting, personally.

Entropy
08-26-10, 13:55
All sounds good......except for the porting. Unless you plan on shooting with your arms extended all the time, you will have problems with the ports blowing gases into your face. Only full goggles will protect your eyes from it.

JSantoro
08-26-10, 14:27
actuslly I have taken a class and shot with that trainer and he now works for magpul dynamics....and I think he knows a thing or two.

Dano's right, and the above is not the same as saying the test methodology was sound. What you put up, functionally, only speaks to one aspect of something with similar implications as the multiple factors discussed regarding AR muzzle device threads - discussions - dogfights (brake vs. flash supressor vs. combo). Moreso, since you can't really shoot a rifle from compression - retention - high-ready, or whateverthehell you wanna call it. Point being, you might end up with jets of plasma shooting toward things you might want to keep.

I'm not interested in dispelling any myths about it one way or another, but looking at it from a standpoint of: what are you getting for the money spent? Having shot ported handguns, the difference in performance never struck me as anything worth money that could be spent on ammo used to practice recoil management. Then again, I'm biased, being predisposed to training solutions to training issues instead of material solutions.

Unless there's more to the specific quote you pitched, and verifiable, there's a metric assload of factors NOT being considered and tested in the "proof," as offerred. I say the same thing to the faces to people who could crush my career if they wanted to, so take it from the standpoint of suggesting that you might not have enough info to make a truly informed decision in that regard.

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 17:48
Well it seems like everyone is turning down the idea of porting the gun LOL...i know it has benefits and withdraws and its really based on each situation....mission drives the gear, correct

I thought it wasn't a bad idea for the price 140$ and myself already having an extra barrel..if for some reason i didn't like the ports or how the gun shot with the ports i could swap my extra (non-ported) barrel into the gun and keep it running.

Since this is gonna be a long term project i will decide on a later date for the magna-porting, i can drive up there any day really and have it done while i wait so this may be the last thing to attend on my list

Thanks for everyones opinions on the idea also.

jeremy stanke
08-26-10, 20:22
ha ha you need steve and some of other MGO guys to chime in. when i get my slide back i will send you a picture, i have dougs serrations and it is being coated FDE

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 20:31
ha ha you need steve and some of other MGO guys to chime in. when i get my slide back i will send you a picture, i have dougs serrations and it is being coated FDE

Jeremy...send me a picture or let me shoot it LOL

I am only getting serrations from the ejection port back

jeremy stanke
08-26-10, 20:39
Jeremy...send me a picture or let me shoot it LOL

I am only getting serrations from the ejection port back

np, i will let you know when its back and we can get together sometime. i am definitely going to want to shoot yours. its crazy how much we think alike, i was thinking about doing this 5-6 months ago but at that time they were so backlogged i forgot about it

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 21:06
np, i will let you know when its back and we can get together sometime. i am definitely going to want to shoot yours. its crazy how much we think alike, i was thinking about doing this 5-6 months ago but at that time they were so backlogged i forgot about it

I actually just bought a new camera..nikon d3000 so may be a few weeks before i do the magna porting

timbo813
08-26-10, 21:44
I don't see the downside to the porting. I mean, the OP said he could get another barrel to take away the ports if needed. To most of us it's not worth $140 but if it's worth it to you I say go for it. That way you can try it both ways and see what you like. If you get it done, shoot it both ways at night and let us know how much effect it has on vision.