PDA

View Full Version : SIG shooters - when do you decock?

dookie1481
08-26-10, 21:24
I was reading something Farnham said about SIGs; he suggests decocking any time the finger comes off the trigger and goes to the register position. His reasoning is that when the finger goes from register to the trigger, the trigger is in the same spot every time.

Thoughts?

Jay

operator81
08-26-10, 21:35
With any DA/SA platform, I decock before I move from one position to another, or more simply, when the finger comes off the trigger.

variablebinary
08-26-10, 21:37
I was reading something Farnham said about SIGs; he suggests decocking any time the finger comes off the trigger and goes to the register position. His reasoning is that when the finger goes from register to the trigger, the trigger is in the same spot every time.

Thoughts?

Jay

I would decock when I am absolutely sure I am done shooting people, and not a second before.

Hmac
08-26-10, 21:42
I decock with my support hand thumb right before I go to sul or compressed ready.

Omega_556
08-26-10, 22:01
With any DA/SA platform, I decock before I move from one position to another, or more simply, when the finger comes off the trigger.

This is exactly how I was trained; decock prior to movement.

oboe
08-26-10, 22:54
This is exactly how I was trained; decock prior to movement.

But why? Is this what a person would do with a .45 SA? (Two questions)

Longhorn
08-26-10, 23:07
But why? Is this what a person would do with a .45 SA? (Two questions)

Probably because when your finger comes off the trigger you're "done shooting" - aka you're going to re-holster your weapon, and per most LE SOPs your pistol has (or least should) be decocked/hammer up in the holster.

And I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's 9 or .45, the same practice is adhered to.

oboe
08-26-10, 23:09
Probably because when your finger comes off the trigger you're "done shooting" - aka you're going to re-holster your weapon, and per most LE SOPs your pistol has (or least should) be decocked/hammer up in the holster.

And I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's 9 or .45, the same practice is adhered to.

So the REAL cue is: The shooting is done. But if it sin't or MIGHT not be done yet, our finger should be on the trigger - nicht whar?

Dapimpspimp
08-26-10, 23:41
I decock after I perform my follow through, scan, and access. Once I am sure that there are no other immidiate (spelling?) threats. I also decock prior to moving from one position to another.

Decocking is similar to putting your weapon in safe. It is like mentally standing down.

NCPatrolAR
08-26-10, 23:46
I decock after the threat has been assessed and I'm about to start my scan for additional threats

Dano5326
08-26-10, 23:54
Variable.. one is never sure when done re-educating muj

...all, the attempt is to get to ONE trigger pull when faced with critical decision making.

Glocks & M&P have more merit in multitude of circumstance and...... well one trigger pull, sans silly controls... doesn't suck

Omega Man
08-27-10, 04:37
I would decock right before reholstering. Not before that.

VolGrad
08-27-10, 08:37
This.

I no longer own anything with a de-cocker but my thought is to de-cock after scanning for additional threats, immediately before re-holstering. If my scan shows something else that needs "re-educating" as a previous poster called it ... I want a SA pull.

variablebinary
08-27-10, 09:17
Variable.. one is never sure when done re-educating muj

...all, the attempt is to get to ONE trigger pull when faced with critical decision making.

Glocks & M&P have more merit in multitude of circumstance and...... well one trigger pull, sans silly controls... doesn't suck

The "re-education" process can crop up at any time, so why give yourself more hassle by constantly fumbling and tinkering with controls. I'd rather not bank on a double action first shot if I don't need to

Or better yet, get a Glock, problem solved.

macman37
08-27-10, 10:29
I decock after the threat has been assessed and I'm about to start my scan for additional threats

This is what MDFI taught me. It makes sense.

loupav
08-27-10, 11:06

I would decock when I am absolutely sure I am done shooting people, and not a second before.

Either one of those for me.

kaltblitz
08-27-10, 11:43
I'm a revolver shooter that became a single action auto shooter then a double-action auto shooter then a striker fired shooter and now am back to being a single action auto shooter. My friend, it's all the same.

Most cops (myself included) are trained that you should decock when done shooting and/or prior to moving. You're done engaging the target...you've scanned for threats...now de-cock.

Say you're shooting a pistol course and you're engaging targets from behind cover and have to run to another position of cover...shoot....decock...move...shoot.

Your decocker is an added measure of safety. You should master the DA shot and DA to SA transition anyway. It can and should be seamless.

After not having shot a Sig for awhile it takes me a couple boxes of ammo to blow off the dust and webs, but I get reaccustomed to it to the point that I don't even think about it. With the right training and practice it can be that easy for you too.

Sigmax
08-27-10, 13:13
My old training standard was decock before holstering. This took into account that one had scanned & assessed all threats. And the critical scenerio had passed.

Even if I was moving we did not mess with the decocker. The theory was that if you are moving and/or taking fire you were generally a little to preoccupied & decocking was a needless exercise. Of course your finger was off the trigger unless you was on target.

Live fire situations are generally very fluid so the scanning aspect, to break any tunnel vision, means that you are assessing and possibly still under threat.

It seems to me, & I am absolutley no expert, that immediately going to decocking is a safety exercise to replace correct finger control. Not a crazy idea at all, I just error on the side of giving myself every advantage possible.

Or just go with a Glock, or M&P, or LEM HK.

Complication
08-27-10, 13:44
I've always looked at a DA pull on a DA/SA gun as a safety mechanism. Personally, I consider it better than a manual safety because you don't have to toggle anything to fire the weapon. But I've always considered it to serve the same purpose.

So my answer would be: decock whenever you would safe a weapon.

I cover down with finger on the trigger then come back to retention with finger off and then scan and assess. Then I holster the gun (which, when I had a decocker, is when I decocked). If making movement, there's an argument to be made for "safing" the weapon (or in this case, decocking) as you would with a long gun, to be sure.
But if you decock JUST BECAUSE your finger comes off the trigger, it seems like you're just making it harder on yourself much of the time.

Remember there's a difference between what is tactically sound/safe and what is square-range safe. Just because someone wants you to de-cock every time your finger pops off "because it's safer that way" doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea.

As others pointed out, any situation where you're exchanging fire is going to be very fluid and hard and fast rules about "if you do this, then always do that, always, period" tend to fly out the window.

ST911
08-27-10, 16:39
For the LCD, decock whenever you have finished a string of fire, are ready to move, or will reholster.

If you're a well disciplined and proficient shooter, and will be safe with the gun in SA mode, decock prior to reholstering.

A gun in SA mode will be comparatively easier to be more accurate with for most shooters. If you can manage the safety aspects of SA mode, I wouldn't be eager to go back to DA.

You could liken this question to the one of when to reactive the safety on a 1911, for similar reasons.

Gombey
08-27-10, 17:05
I've never had the pleasure of holding a Sig. But this thread has piqued my curiosity. Do they not have ability to be carried cocked and locked?

cfrazier
08-27-10, 17:36
ShaolinGiraffe
In general you can not carry a Sig cocked and locked, due to they are DA/SA. Sig does have a P220 and P226 in SAO and they can be carried cocked and locked.

Alpha Sierra
08-27-10, 17:43
I never decock unless the pistol is going back into the holster.

Alpha Sierra
08-27-10, 17:44
I've never had the pleasure of holding a Sig. But this thread has piqued my curiosity. Do they not have ability to be carried cocked and locked?

DA/SA SIGs do not.

I'm not quite sure why the OP mentioned SIGs....... The same applies for any DA/SA handgun.

NCPatrolAR
08-27-10, 18:08
The same applies for any DA/SA handgun.

Good point and was something I was about to mention. If running a DA/SA gun, I decock the gun as I mentioned above (after threat assessment is completed). If using a SA pistol or any kind of long gun; I put the safety on after threat assessment is completed

dookie1481
08-27-10, 19:52
DA/SA SIGs do not.

I'm not quite sure why the OP mentioned SIGs....... The same applies for any DA/SA handgun.

I was messing around with my P239 last night. Also, the location of the decocker is different than most guns.

Jay

Alpha Sierra
08-27-10, 19:58
Also, the location of the decocker is different than most guns.
Makes no difference to the thought process.

eternal24k
08-27-10, 20:01

this,
right after my final scan before holstering.

Kyle Defoor
08-28-10, 09:16
Before you walk(any movement), before you talk