PDA

View Full Version : Consistent Accuracy Problem With an M&P9 Compact - Advice?

Arclight
08-26-10, 22:25
My better half got her third S&W M&P product recently and she loves it -- an M&P9 Compact. It's a great little gun... except for one thing....

It consistently shoots dramatically (10-12") high and to the right at 25 yards with typical training-grade ammo (Blazer 115gr FMJ). This is after sending it back to S&W for the same problem, and it came back "fixed" with a new front sight.

We weren't sure if it was just something we were doing wrong, so we had a couple of friends test it. One guy who can put a mag or two through one hole at 15 yards consistently, and another who is a professional pistol instructor and a 3-time “Advanced” rated shooter at Rogers Shooting School. They had the same problem, so it's not something she's doing wrong shooting it.

She really loves this little gun, but it's frustrating to have it be that far off and not seem to be able to fix it. Anyone have any idea if this is a known issue or if there's a fix out there?

willowofwisp
08-26-10, 22:34
10-12" high at 25 yards is pretty crazy...possibly the barrel isn't seating correctly? if its consistently shooting a group like that then you can probably rule out the sights..especially with it being that high

RogerinTPA
08-26-10, 22:34
My better half got her third S&W M&P product recently and she loves it -- an M&P9 Compact. It's a great little gun... except for one thing....

It consistently shoots dramatically (10-12") high and to the right at 25 yards with typical training-grade ammo (Blazer 115gr FMJ). This is after sending it back to S&W for the same problem, and it came back "fixed" with a new front sight.

We weren't sure if it was just something we were doing wrong, so we had a couple of friends test it. One guy who can put a mag or two through one hole at 15 yards consistently, and another who is a professional pistol instructor and a 3-time “Advanced” rated shooter at Rogers Shooting School. They had the same problem, so it's not something she's doing wrong shooting it.

She really loves this little gun, but it's frustrating to have it be that far off and not seem to be able to fix it. Anyone have any idea if this is a known issue or if there's a fix out there?

Did they shoot it before and after you sent it back?

Did the new front sight fix the POI issue?

It is possible that it had the wrong sight on it (too tall).

I had a similar issue with after market front sights being too tall and printing 3-4 inches higher that POA. A swap to the correct height (.160) and that fixed the issue.

dutch308
08-26-10, 22:36
Arclight, There is a thread on here titled M&P problem thread. There is alot of info on them. I was having a similar problem with my FS40, out to 15yds I was gtg but when I hit hte 25 it was another story, I bought a Apex DCAEK kit for mine on the advise of several on that thread, problem solved, its a drop in kit and if you have any gunsmithing skills you can install the parts in under an hour. Good Luck

Arclight
08-26-10, 22:52
10-12" high at 25 yards is pretty crazy...possibly the barrel isn't seating correctly? if its consistently shooting a group like that then you can probably rule out the sights..especially with it being that high

Yeah, it was consistent. Tight group, but nearly a foot high and right of the POA at 25 yards.

Did they shoot it before and after you sent it back?

Yes. The latter shooter was the one to originally diagnose the problem that caused us to send it back (shooting high at 20 yards) and when we got it back, it was worse. Per S&W's packing note, they replaced the front sight and tested it. Not sure how or with what, but that will be the subject of my next call to them.

Did the new front sight fix the POI issue?
It's actually worse now. It makes me wonder if something else was changed too since it wasn't particularly laterally off before we sent it back.

Arclight
08-26-10, 22:54
Arclight, There is a thread on here titled M&P problem thread. There is alot of info on them. I was having a similar problem with my FS40, out to 15yds I was gtg but when I hit hte 25 it was another story, I bought a Apex DCAEK kit for mine on the advise of several on that thread, problem solved, its a drop in kit and if you have any gunsmithing skills you can install the parts in under an hour. Good Luck

I went through much of that thread, but must have missed your section. Interesting option -- I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks!

Randy Lee
08-27-10, 00:46
It sounds like the front and rear sights are still mis-matched. You might check to see if both the front and rear sights are mechanically centered on the slide. If the front sight is slightly off to the left (of center) or the rear is off to the right, that would explain the windage problem. If the gun is shooting that high, your particular pistol will require a taller front sight.

If the sights are centered, I would next check for damage to the muzzle crown.
Beyond that, I would suspect a mis cut barrel or breech face.

-Randy