PDA

View Full Version : Arizona man, 70, accused of shooting at kayakers

Honu
08-26-10, 23:35
AZ central is a super lefty paper ! so typical of the comments by some of the users !! but scary dumb old man ???
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/08/26/20100826arizona-verde-river-shooting-kayak-abrk.html#comments

and article

A 70-year-old man was arrested on
suspicion of shooting at three kayakers he
suspected of stealing his kayaks.

Samuel Houston Phariss on Wednesday
afternoon forced three kayakers at gunpoint
out of the Verde River in the area of Childs
campground near Camp Verde so he could
inspect each of the men's kayaks, according
to the Yavapai County Sheriff's Office.

The three men told authorities that Phariss
fired at least three shots from about 50
yards away. No one was injured, although a
shot reportedly hit about six inches from
one of the kayakers.

Phariss left once he determined none of the
kayaks were his, according to Deputy Scott
Reed with the Yavapai County Sheriff's
Office.

Witnesses reported that Phariss "appeared to
be looking for his kayak while threatening to
kill whoever took it from his home."

Phariss, a resident of Childs, was arrested at
the campground. He was taken to the
Yavapai County Jail and booked on one
count of attempted second degree murder,
two counts of aggravated assault and three
counts of kidnapping.

now I am curious if this happened to you ? what would you have done ?
would the old guy be heading home in a van and black bag ?

I think if I was with my family and this guy did that ? scary as being on the water you are at a major disadvantage

I am glad he is going down hard as this was so irresponsible and just gives ammo to the antis !!!

Iraqgunz
08-27-10, 00:15
Yeah, I read this today also. What a dumbass. Glad I wasn't there kayaking or I'd be articulating to the police how I was defending myself and my family from a "crazed gunman". He has no idea how lucky he is.

AZ central is a super lefty paper ! so typical of the comments by some of the users !! but scary dumb old man ???
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/08/26/20100826arizona-verde-river-shooting-kayak-abrk.html#comments

and article

now I am curious if this happened to you ? what would you have done ?
would the old guy be heading home in a van and black bag ?

I think if I was with my family and this guy did that ? scary as being on the water you are at a major disadvantage

I am glad he is going down hard as this was so irresponsible and just gives ammo to the antis !!!

Belmont31R
08-27-10, 00:31
Id have probably shot him if I got the chance, and was armed (most likely would be). If somone is crazy enough to hold me at gunpoint because the old man "thinks" I have his kayak theres no telling what he might also do.

I had someone pull in front of me on an empty road late at night, and pull a revolver on me from about 20 yards away because he thought I broke into his truck. I explained I was just visiting my GF who lives around the corner, in the Army, Im driving a brand new 35k car and I dont go around breaking into cars at 11PM at night on a weekday. He jumped back in his truck, took off, and I got his plate number while on the PH with 911. This was before I had a CHL and carried a weapon with me regularly. When someone has a gun on you theres really no telling if they are trigger happy on or not. I got out lucky in that situation but now Id probably not take that chance again. Its not "cool" to have your life in someone elses hand who is crazy enough to pull a gun on someone because they "think" you "might" have stolen something of theirs.

CarlosDJackal
08-27-10, 11:21
If the opportunity presented itself, I would have returned fire as well. What a dumbass.

Moose-Knuckle
08-27-10, 16:54
I never go anywhere unarmed especially in remote areas. I would have returned fire in self defense.

If one thinks their property has been stolen they need to call their local law enforcement agency and not take the law in their own hands, great way to get killed fast.

Heavy Metal
08-27-10, 17:08
I guess it is a good thing I practice 50M shots with my G-19 and G-17.