PDA

View Full Version : I need somebody to talk me through a spring swap on a Timney trigger and KNS AWPs ...

Veer_G
08-26-10, 23:50
I had a 5.45x39 upper set up on a Bushmaster lower and the person doing it told me that I wouldn't need the extra power spring that S&W sends out for the hard milsurp primers. Wrong. The real issue is that he knew that the spring inside the Timney that he sold me wasn't the same configuration as a normal one and that a swap wouldn't work.

Fast forward: Timney has sent me an AR10 spring to go on the 3# AR15 unit (which will make it like a 4#, I'm told?), with the thought that I won't need the heavier AR10 hammer. They explained that I'll need to pop the bushing that the spring rides on off in order to remove and replace it, but I'm not feeling terribly confident of my inability to make an absolute hash of things.

So, could someone talk me through (a) the swap of the spring, which means removal of the old pins (I guess?) to get the Timney unit out for the swap, and then the installation of the KNS antiwalk pins to replace the old pins? I got the .154" set, as the holes didn't seem to be at all hogged, and I have been advised that this can happen with drop in trigger packs.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I hate like hell for this to be a first post.

Veer_G
08-27-10, 12:09
Nobody?

Veer_G
08-28-10, 23:36
Managed the spring swap, although I also managed to totally mushroom the one original pin going back in pre-KNS and had to go for broke with the KNS pins into the Timney unit bald rather than using them to slide out the originals as should be the game plan. It was hairy and took longer than it should have. Thanks again for the floodload of advice; it was heartwarming to see such a response.

Iraqgunz
08-28-10, 23:42
No need to be a smart ass. I am sorry that you are impatient. It's quite possible that many users don't have experience with your set up or didn't understand your post.

Managed the spring swap, although I also managed to totally mushroom the one original pin going back in pre-KNS and had to go for broke with the KNS pins into the Timney unit bald rather than using them to slide out the originals as should be the game plan. It was hairy and took longer than it should have. Thanks again for the floodload of advice; it was heartwarming to see such a response.