PDA

View Full Version : DD FF Rail Differences?

M4Fundi
08-27-10, 00:00
I searched... I'm not interested in length, wt, but what makes the DD rail an RIS, M4, Lite, etc. ??? Is it how they connect to receiver or what?

bkb0000
08-27-10, 00:10
indeed.. the Lites use a boltup plate. the RIS has a slightly sturdier boltup plate, and has a removable bottom. the M4s use a threaded ring. the Omegas clamp to the OEM barrel nut. the Omega-Xs clamp, but use a proprietary barrel nut (the Lite nut, i think i've heard).

M4Fundi
08-27-10, 00:17
What would be the pros/cons of these based on the bolt up methods for someone trying to decide on which one to get? Is the RIS "more" combat worthy or just very M203 friendly?

bkb0000
08-27-10, 00:25
not sure, to tell you the truth. i've owned Lites, M4s, and a RIS... i liked them all just fine, but i have an affinity for the M4s. just an aesthetics thing, i guess. some will say the Lites are more secure, and i would guess that was their intent.. i've heard tell of M4s coming loose, but only very rarely, and were probably not installed correctly. the lites aren't fail-proof either, in this regard.. by the time your guard has rotated enough that the bolts keep it from rotating further, your gas tube is already perforated- so this isn't much of an actual benefit, near as i can see.

just go with whatever gives you wood. they'll all be good to you.

Impact
08-27-10, 00:27
I really like the Omega X and RIS myself.
The Omega X has a very slim profile.

M4Fundi
08-27-10, 01:11
Thanks for the info... I'm just trying to figure out which one "gives me wood":p

Col_Crocs
08-27-10, 04:04
I have both the omega and the Mk18 RISII. Between the 2, I perfer the RIS hands down. It's the best of both worlds IMHO. The Rigidity of the Lite's bolt up system with the added security of anti-rotational tabs on the bolt up collar/ring and the 2 piece design of the Omega. I really like the idea of being able to take off the lower rail for cleaning without having to remove and later re-align the entire rail. It's also a lot lighter than I expected.
If you dont need the length, the Mk18 works on a middy. Depending on your GB though, you may have to dremel the bottom a bit to clear the rail like I did. And ofcourse, being mostly exposed, I would recommend you pin it as well. The new DD pinned GB should work perferctly without any modification if youre willing to wait.