PDA

View Full Version : DD XV Initial impressions

m4brian
08-27-10, 07:11
Overall very nice.

Good: Finish, Bolt key staking, chromed chamber and barrel, and nice M4 feed ramps. Trigger has fairly crisp letoff. Cool DD sight.

OK stuff: Barrel is unmarked. Sure would like to see 5.56 and 1:7 stamped on it.

Not so OK: Creepy trigger until letoff. No sling attachment to buttstock. Buttstock lever is loose - dangling. A little play in the very rear of the upper, and some gap between the halves.

I hope to get a few rounds through it at the range.

Overall, decent. I'd say that my son's MP 15 is quite close in fit/finish, a little smoother trigger. The barrel finish on the DD is nicer.

I'm having debates between a VTAC and MOE for the forend. (As some can tell on other threads).

rob_s
08-27-10, 07:33
just sayin'... (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28658)

NavDoc
08-27-10, 08:03
The barrel is not marked under the handguards? :confused:

ralph
08-27-10, 08:26
OP; check under the handguards, DD marks their barrels,The markings are just farther back on the barrel, removing the handguards should reveal them....

m4brian
08-27-10, 08:45
Yes - figured it would have been up front, but there it is...

DD 5.56 NATO, 1/7, 07/09

Guess this had been on the shelf a while.

Rear play is definitely worse than the MP Smith. Edge to the Smith in F/F.

500grains
08-27-10, 09:07
I have an XV and it shoots good. A dealer in AZ let it go for a song.

m4brian
08-27-10, 09:13
Got mine on GB for a decent price. That is the second one I've heard of that went low - there is a post on line today with a good price also. Right now, people can spend $100 more and get one all duded up or for the same. You can nail a Smith 15T for under $1000 after the rebate. That has a $300 rail and Troys. But, based on stuff I read here and staring at the M4 chart, I went with DD XV - at least I have a HF Barrel.

It is interesting. If you want a HFB, and all the other Milspec stuff, you will pay about $950 for a new complete gun no matter what you do. EVen Spike's just ran a special, and with some MOE stuff a DD sight, and a DD barrel, it ran $1050 - and they are reasonable. The HFB runs you the extra doe. Most people want the rails and whistles.

I almost like the KISS look.

I hope to shoot her tomorrow...

THCDDM4
08-27-10, 14:01
Got mine on GB for a decent price. That is the second one I've heard of that went low - there is a post on line today with a good price also. Right now, people can spend $100 more and get one all duded up or for the same. You can nail a Smith 15T for under $1000 after the rebate. That has a $300 rail and Troys. But, based on stuff I read here and staring at the M4 chart, I went with DD XV - at least I have a HF Barrel.

It is interesting. If you want a HFB, and all the other Milspec stuff, you will pay about $950 for a new complete gun no matter what you do. EVen Spike's just ran a special, and with some MOE stuff a DD sight, and a DD barrel, it ran $1050 - and they are reasonable. The HFB runs you the extra doe. Most people want the rails and whistles.

I almost like the KISS look.

I hope to shoot her tomorrow...

You will not be dissapointed with your XV; and if there are problems with your rifle (All manufacturers have them regardless of price or QC; there is no such thing as a 100% Defect free fatory; not even close...) Daniel Defense will for sure make it right for you; their customer service department is second to none.

Post a report after you go to the range and get her broken in.

justin_247
08-27-10, 15:58
Congrats on your new DDXV.

Blankwaffe
08-28-10, 02:55
Here is some of my rambling thoughts......

I let fit and finish bother me for a looong time...after my nephews attempted to sharpen my new LMT M4 on a concrete bench in 2008 I kinda got over that.Then I took a spill at a 3-gun and completed the job on the otherside.Since then I bacically dont worry about how perfect the fit and finish is as Im gona run it off sooner or later anyway.Same with receiver wobble...I was fixated on that for a number of years,and as has been said here a number of times in the past,it does not matter unless its so loose it becomes a issue with the weapons function.If you have several rifles you can try fitting the uppers and lowers amoungst the group to get the best fit.Thats the only solid fix Ive found in that regard.

In my experience the DD triggers start to come into their own after about 500 rounds.My advice would be lube up the FCG well with Weapon Shield or similar and run it.If you want a better standard trigger,the best available IMHO is the LMT standard trigger which is my preference.

The bottom sling loop(and front FSB sling loop) on the stock was not included on the DD's due to the fact they come with a QD receiver end plate.I personally do not know anyone that uses the standard sling loops as a sling attachment anymore.That said,I usually remove the lower stock sling loop as tends to hang on my rig while in use.

As far as prices,we were getting the DDXV's from DSG Arms for $950.00 with a MIL/LEO discount back in the first of the year.My uncle picked another one up week before last from Rainier Arms for $895.00.....smokin deals on a excellent weapon for sure.

Regardless,congrats on your new DD....

m4brian
08-28-10, 08:27
Thanks Blankwolf - you are right. We all can obsess with the slightest non-functional issues. I am happy for my son though, as I did not 'know' as much at the time, and got his SMith based on the deal - but he can feel good about his f/f and the Smith warranty ought to last him for a long time.

I got mine for $935 shipped, so I think I did fine.

I'll have to see how things are at the range. Lubed the trigger with Miltec and Tetra.

Interesting how things price out. For the most part there are likely three 'tiers' of ARs out there. You pay a bit of a premium for the milspec bolt and CHF barrel.

I will probably order some L5 mags from BCM todat, and maybe the Magpul grip and stock. I may wait on the forearm, and think more about FF.

In any case, stock setup is fine as is for now. Amazing - back in the day, I the standard M4 setup was WAYYY COOOOL. Now, one 'needs' all the bells and whistles.

Again, you are right about f/f , etc. But... can I tighten the stock lever somehow? If not, I guess I can go magpul, or use my sons SMith, which at least carries the milspec tube.

justin_247
08-28-10, 10:35
Amazing - back in the day, I the standard M4 setup was WAYYY COOOOL. Now, one 'needs' all the bells and whistles.

Nah, there aren't many bells and whistles that you need. Get a sling, an Aimpoint in a LaRue or ADM mount, and a Surefire and it'll be good to go. If you want a really kick-ass basic configuration, swap out the stock handguards for Magpul MOE handguards with the MOE Illumination Kit.

Blankwaffe
08-28-10, 21:19
But... can I tighten the stock lever somehow? If not, I guess I can go magpul, or use my sons SMith, which at least carries the milspec tube.

Here is the link to the -23&P that is linked in the "Basic AR15 cleaning" thread that is tacked at the top of the forum above.IMHO it and the -10 linked there are required reading.

http://generalcartridge.net/Documents/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf

Download a copy of said -23&P and refer to 2-65 and 2-67.

First of all if you have another mil-spec stock assembly I would try it and see how it fits and locks on the DD's receiver extension.

Otherwise.....unless the locking pin,its spring or the locking pin recesses in the receiver extension is out of spec the release lever tension should be set as described in those pages.So looking at the locking nut on the assembled stock,it should be about even or slightly below the last thread of the locking pin(locking pin tip protruding slightly beyond the locking nut).
So,with the stock removed from the receiver extension the locking pin spring should have enough tension to pull the release lever up against the stock.If the release lever is floppy loose and the locking nut is orientated as described in the above,I'd suspect the spring.
If all that checks out you can use the directions described in the -23 to adjust the tension or disassemble and inspect further if you feel confident.

All that said,new gun and all,if you suspect that something is out of spec I'd personally recommend calling Daniel Defense and let them take care of it.
hth

m4brian
08-29-10, 13:17
Thanks all. One of these days this week, hope to get to the buttstock.

Shot 120 rds through her yesterday.

Accuracy: Pretty good. It looks like it can do 1" at 50 yards open sights if I do what I need to. I can do a head shot off-hand 8/10 times at that range. Seemed to improve with each 5 round group, and the trigger is getting a bit better. Not too bad for OLD eyes.

Reliability:

3 Failures to Feed in the session. A little disappointed. I DO attribute it to the 20 year old Milspec mags I was using, because the third time I noticed that the remaining round in the mag had completely nose dived with the follower. New springs and followers needed. BUT... the week before my son's NIB S&W did not have this problem. but, again, likely just the mag.

Handling. Very nice. Any heavier a barrel, and it would not hanlde as well, and I feel like the M4 weight i about right, and the barrel won't heat as fast as a ltwt. The standard guards do fine with the heat and don't feel bad at all. MOE may be nicer, and the round VTAC may be in the future, ut I may wait for now.

Sights. I like the DD sights and the post. I do which the DDs adjusted in the rear for windage, but oh well. I needed to drop the front to move the groups higher but the only punch I had was too thick and so were the round tips I had (used to do this back in the day, but the holes on the front post seemed smaller than I remember).

Trigger may just smooth excellently with time - it feels like it has MUCH potential as a combat trigger. Don'tneed or want a 2.5 LB deal - not safe in the combat rifle.

Except for the dangling stock lever, she is a beaut, and likely one of the better buys out there in a 'Milspec' rifle.

rob_s
08-29-10, 13:30
I don't know what DD rear sight you have, but the one I have is adjustable for windage.

The ban is over. Throw away those old POS mags. New good mags are $10+/- and there is absolutely no reason to be using old junk mags.

JR TACTICAL
08-29-10, 13:36
Congrats on a great purchase, I have owned a V1 and V2 and I got a V5 on the way right now, solid choice with DD

xbmxracerx
08-29-10, 14:14
Did the XV not come with a PMAG?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/IMG01043-20100829-1351.jpg

GeorgiaBoy
08-29-10, 20:22
Did the XV not come with a PMAG?

Not always.. my gunshop gave me a EMAG and no instructions (Which aren't really neccessary of course if you already know the basics of the AR platform) with my DD because they misplaced the original carrying case and pmag. ;)

xbmxracerx
08-29-10, 20:42
Misplaced huh? HA!

Not always.. my gunshop gave me a EMAG and no instructions (Which aren't really neccessary of course if you already know the basics of the AR platform) with my DD because they misplaced the original carrying case and pmag. ;)

Jake Bauer
08-29-10, 20:45
I love my XV. I dont have a ton of experience with ARs but I think it deserves a far better rank than just "decent".

m4brian
08-29-10, 22:05
Mine came with a pmag - yes. And yes, it does do windage in the rear, but not elevation - my mistake.

Steve S.
08-30-10, 14:05
Mine came with a pmag - yes. And yes, it does do windage in the rear, but not elevation - my mistake.

...so just use the Pmag until you buy more...

m4brian
08-30-10, 16:01
Geee - I figured I can use the GIs and mess up a bunch of ammo... LOL!

L5s on the way.

Steve S.
08-30-10, 17:07

L5s on the way.

Only reason I took issue is people, like me, tend to skim posts and reviews. And if my gun had 3 stoppages in 120 rounds, it wouldn't be MY gun very long.

I don't own a DD, but I'm running their barrel, BCG, FF rail, and LPK in a build and I'm currently past 500 rounds without a single malfunction.

You picked a hell of a gun. If you are still having malfunctions with the L5s or Pmags, contact DD about it. My limit is 1 gun related malfuction per 1k rounds, or the gun is finding a new home.

fdxpilot
08-30-10, 17:43

L5s on the way.

Hope you orderd those L5s from BCM. Everywhere else seems to want to bend you over on price for those things. Personally, I prefer Magpul.

m4brian
08-30-10, 22:00
ordered the L5s from BCM. I got them because they are a bit cheaper AND they have metal feed lips.

I'm not too worried about the feeding. on the third one, I popped the mag, and you should have seen where the follower was - about 1" down - big time nose dive by the spring/follower - no rifle would have fed that round. So... I'm not going to sweat it until I fire more with the L5s.

but.. my son's M&P did not hiccup. Could have been the way he was holding the mag/rifle... or maybe they finally failed.

Rest assured, if I have ANY issues with L5 or my Pmags, I'll be talking to DD!