PDA

View Full Version : Draken fighter jet for sale: $175,000

wild_wild_wes
08-27-10, 08:03
STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) - Looking for a good deal on a used Saab? But you'll need more than a garage. A Cold War-era J35 Draken Saab jet fighter is for sale in California. The Swedish fighter first entered service in 1960, to take on Soviet MiGs. It was once armed with 30mm automatic cannons and missiles. The plane is disarmed now. The Saab is at an airport in Stockton, Calif. The Draken had been priced at $499,000, but it's now listed at $175,000.

500grains
08-27-10, 09:05
Doesn't this belong in the equipment exchange section?

(just kidding)

ryanm
08-27-10, 09:30
This was one of my favorite planes! Wish I was a jet pilot :)

wild_wild_wes
08-27-10, 10:09
http://www.fighterplanephotos.com/photos/J35%20Draken%20Fighter%20Plane%20Photo%20-%2001.jpg

Preferred User
08-27-10, 20:07
Lets see, cost of plane + cost for overhaul (it has been sitting since 2005 so let's say $5K minimum) + $5/gal/450-550 GPH (no playing with the afterburners or that cost will really jump) + assorted hourly maintenance costs + 1000 hours turbine complex for your endorsement + 20 hours time in type + ???

Oh yeah. This is the deal of the century.

ThirdWatcher
08-27-10, 20:29
... no playing with the afterburners or that cost will really jump...

Yeah, right... could you avoid the temptation? :D

jaxman7
08-27-10, 21:11
Beautiful aircraft. I love Delta winged planes just for the aesthetics. My two obsessions are firearms and aviation.

Preferred User
08-27-10, 21:25
Yeah, right... could you avoid the temptation? :D

No. If you can afford the cost of the ticket, you have to enjoy the ride. Zoom baby!

ThirdWatcher
08-27-10, 23:42
No. If you can afford the cost of the ticket, you have to enjoy the ride. Zoom baby!

I couldn't agree more!

Preferred User
08-27-10, 23:59
THIS (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wolfeaviation.com%2Faircraft_for_sale%2Fspecs%2F1964SAABJ35.doc&ei=5JV4TOLnBoTjnAeXkuicCw&usg=AFQjCNH4scWViRksRMMYM2or9Bidn11MAQ) looks like a current ad.

Interesting info on the SAAB (http://www.saabhistory.com/category/j-35-draken/) site.

Including some pics:
http://www.saabvideos.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/ext-4.jpg

skyugo
08-28-10, 10:09
Lets see, cost of plane + cost for overhaul (it has been sitting since 2005 so let's say $5K minimum) + $5/gal/450-550 GPH (no playing with the afterburners or that cost will really jump) + assorted hourly maintenance costs + 1000 hours turbine complex for your endorsement + 20 hours time in type + ???

Oh yeah. This is the deal of the century.

sure, but you have YOUR OWN ****ING FIGHTER JET! :eek:
i'm guessing flying planes, especially exotic planes, is not for people with less than 8 digits in their savings account. :o
but hey, if you have the money....

MookNW
08-28-10, 10:33
For when your SPR just doesn't have quite enough reach.

Preferred User
08-28-10, 11:26
sure, but you have YOUR OWN ****ING FIGHTER JET! :eek:
i'm guessing flying planes, especially exotic planes, is not for people with less than 8 digits in their savings account. :o
but hey, if you have the money....

Your own F*&%ing NEUTERED fighter jet. I wonder what form you have to submit to ATF to re-arm.

But as you said, if you have the money ....

I guess this falls in the "He who dies with the most toys wins" category. Of course how many celebs and others with more money than sense have augered in a high dollar, high performance plane? Seems like more of a fail than a win if you do that.

wild_wild_wes
08-28-10, 11:51
I just hope it finds a good home....

Avenger29
08-28-10, 12:05
Trade A Plane has a couple of mint SU-27 Flankers in it.

You can tell this country is awesome when you can own just about any aircraft...

For our more budget minded purchasers...the L-29 and L-39s are great jets. While it's not a jet, the Yak 52s and the similar Chinese aircraft are affordable aircraft.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-28-10, 13:53
Modern day white elephant. You could give it away to 99.999% of people and it would still bankrupt them.

If you lived on an airstrip you could just have it in your hanger and just casually tell chicks that "Oh, yeah, that my fighter jet, its just down for some maintenance." The ratio of dresses droping to wheels-up would be infinite.

First flight is a solo flight!

Airframe:
789 Hours Total Time
Engine(s):

Volvo Flygmotor RM 6C Afterburning Turbojet

12,787 lbs. Thrust (5,800 kg)
17,637 lbs. Thrust with Afterburner (8,000 kg)
1,442 Hours Total Time

217 Hours SMOH

Overhaul Interval on Condition
Landing Gear:
Hydraulically Retractable Tricycle Gear System
Retractable Twin Wheel “Tail Scraper” Unit

* FAA Approved Maintenance Program
* Inspection completed August 2005
* Logbooks Reviewed, No Abnormalities
* Complete Set of Translated Maintenance Manuals
* Ready to Fly! (Forget those TSA security lines!)
* Two Seat Flying Checkout and Maintenance Expertise Available
* Aircraft Hangared at Stockton Metropolitan Airport (SCK)
* Armament: (These could come in hand during rush hour)
o (Disarmed) Bombs, Cannons, Rockets, Missiles
o Two 30mm Automatic Cannons
o Sidewinder Air-to-Air Guided Weapons
* Crew: Single Seat

5pins
08-28-10, 21:24
I can only imagine what European parts cost for an out of production jet fighter.

DrMark
08-28-10, 21:40
There's a couple of those that fly out of the local airport around here.

wild_wild_wes
08-28-10, 23:11
What about noise regs? Aren't jets like this louder than ****?

An F-8 Crusader took off a couple hundred yards from me once, and I was nearly deafened....

Preferred User
08-28-10, 23:24
What about noise regs? Aren't jets like this louder than ****?Depends on the airport. Noise abatement is a touchy subject for both pilots and airport neighbors. At some airports there are rules about climb-out (rate calculated in feet per minute), the pattern you must follow (typically to minimize climb over residential areas), hours of operation, and the list goes on and on.

Fortunately the AOPA fights local regulation pretty hard and the FAA is reluctant to secede authority to local government, however it is an ongoing battle in much the way the 2nd Amendment groups have to do battle with locals and others trying to slip in any little regulation they can.

Of course the FAA can also ground you in a heartbeat so they are certainly not all benevolent.

pilotguyo540
08-29-10, 12:09
I tied down next to this thing a few years ago at McClellan. It was dusk and I was pretty tired. I went over to eyeball my new high speed neighbor and almost caught the pitot tube in the head. That thing is waaaay long!

Many owners of these machines make some coin by flying with the armed services. Our fighter pilots get bored chasing F-16's all day so they pay (not much more than fuel and maintenance) these guys to play bad guys. Most of these guys are prior service anyways. It's a good gig for the average L 39 owner. Some air shows will cover fuel for a demonstration.

The average wage earner may go bankrupt trying to get a check ride, but there are many a crafty bastard in the community :).

pilotguyo540
08-29-10, 12:15
BTW...

This would be registered with the FAA as "experimental" so you are allowed way more leeway to do as you wish. You are not bound to the OEM for parts. You are not even bound to TSA'd parts. Huge cost savings. You still have to go through an A&P for annual.

DrMark
08-29-10, 14:30
Many owners of these machines make some coin by flying with the armed services. Our fighter pilots get bored chasing F-16's all day so they pay (not much more than fuel and maintenance) these guys to play bad guys.
This is the case for the ones that fly out of our local airport.

TOrrock
08-29-10, 15:02
That's cool.

The local air museum bought a Mig-21.....it arrived with fully operational 23mm cannon, with ammo.

BATFE had to come down and scratch their heads as far as what to do with all that stuff.

pilotguyo540
08-29-10, 17:35
That's cool.

The local air museum bought a Mig-21.....it arrived with fully operational 23mm cannon, with ammo.

BATFE had to come down and scratch their heads as far as what to do with all that stuff.

Now what form would be required to keep that? That would be so awesome and worth every hoop they would make you jump through.

SHTF prep at the next level :D

Oh the crap I would do if I could afford to do it.

variablebinary
08-29-10, 19:29
Being a fighter aviator must be the coolest gig on the planet...short of astronaut

Avenger29
08-29-10, 23:38
I can only imagine what European parts cost for an out of production jet fighter.

You call GM Goodwrench, since GM owns SAAB.

"You want parts for WHAT?!"

HES
08-30-10, 05:56
If you lived on an airstrip you could just have it in your hanger and just casually tell chicks that "Oh, yeah, that my fighter jet, its just down for some maintenance." The ratio of dresses droping to wheels-up would be infinite.
I like the way you think and would like to subscribe to your news letter.

Buck
08-30-10, 15:42
Being a fighter aviator must be the coolest gig on the planet...short of astronaut

Decisions, decisions...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/18/denvers-ben-garland-living-nfl-dream-until-air-force-duty-call/

chadbag
08-30-10, 16:04
You call GM Goodwrench, since GM owns SAAB.

"You want parts for WHAT?!"

Well GM does not own Saab anymore I think and it is a different Saab anyway

ST911
08-30-10, 16:08
Decisions, decisions...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/08/18/denvers-ben-garland-living-nfl-dream-until-air-force-duty-call/

6'5, 300lbs. Big guy, and a tight squeeze in any cockpit. Even when he loses the 40lbs.

Good on him for answering the call, whatever option he chooses.