PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend my deployment money!

matt86
08-27-10, 11:33
So heres the deal. Ive had my eye on the DD 6.8 for a while now, with the intent of deer hunting, zombies, and just to have another sweet gun in the safe. Ive always liked the idea of having an ACR, but not thrilled about the manafactuer, but, I realized I could shoot the ACR in 5.56 for plinking, change out the bolt/bbl, and hunt with it. So, should I got for the DD or ACR?

BMWguy206
08-27-10, 11:35
So heres the deal. Ive had my eye on the DD 6.8 for a while now, with the intent of deer hunting, zombies, and just to have another sweet gun in the safe. Ive always liked the idea of having an ACR, but not thrilled about the manafactuer, but, I realized I could shoot the ACR in 5.56 for plinking, change out the bolt/bbl, and hunt with it. So, should I got for the DD or ACR?

First of all I want to say thank you for your service and glad you're back home safe.

Secondly what ARs or rifles do you have now?

striped1
08-27-10, 11:38
If it were me with a pocket full of money and looking for something new it would be Larue's OBR with a 18" barrel. Either that or I would go with the 6.8 in DD or if a lot of money, Noveske.

The Larue OBR and Noveske 6.8 are on my short list. Unfortunately neither are on my SO's short list.

Thomas M-4
08-27-10, 11:41
Get a wife she should have no problem spending it:lol:

matt86
08-27-10, 11:44
bmwguy- thanks, but im not home yet, still have 10 months to go lol.
Right now I only have a spikes 16"carbine and BCM 16"middie. I also plan on getting the BCM 14.5 LW middie and a 10.5 SBR to round out the collection.

Striped- Im married with a kid so the moneys not neccesarily falling out of my pockets, but I'm also not gonna buy cheap crap.

Boomer
08-27-10, 13:02
I would get the AR 6.8 and buy a 5.56 upper if you want caliber changes. I'm not sure about the ACR, but I farted around with a Robinson XCR a while back and the barrel change wasn't hard, but more time consuming. I prefer to just switch out uppers. The ACR seems like a good concept but I swore to not buy anything Bushmaster years ago.

bondmid003
08-28-10, 10:54
Well the ACR definitely has the unique and new factors going for it. You're probably going to be the only one at your local range with one.

Iraqgunz
08-28-10, 19:13
I think I would get a SCAR-H.

TOrrock
08-28-10, 19:40

Definitely.

7.62 NATO goodness.

Decent surplus is about the price of decent 5.56mm right now, and premium 7.62x51mm is about the same price as premium 6.8mm.

RWK
08-28-10, 20:53

Definitely.

I'll third the motion.

JR TACTICAL
08-28-10, 21:04
I 4th the SCAR-H, but if 6.8 is the way you want to go, DD 6.8 ambush all the way

TehLlama
08-29-10, 22:20
Assuming you've killed off all your debt and have reliable transportation, and have already put half in savings...

The SCAR-H is attractive, though...

I'm going to submit the crazy option of having one lightweight 5.56 training gun, and then a 6.8SPC Upper/BCG/Buffer/Mags to go with it for hunting. One good Aimpoint/EOTech optic for the 5.56 upper, and a decent variable powered optic and mount for the 6.8

A DD Complete rifle, then cobble together a 6.8 upper with parts that make sense (e.g. TROY/VTAC Railed upper, Viper PST or Leupold MR/T, LT-104) and a couple mags for it.

Maybe have Grant assemble a DD Upper with their 14.5" LW Barrel, DD Omega-X Handguard; pair that with a complete DD Lower, then build up your SBR off a BCM - too many good options this route (could swap DD and BCM above, or others)

RWK
08-30-10, 07:55
Assuming you've killed off all your debt and have reliable transportation, and have already put half in savings...

Someone's priorities are way out of whack... :laugh:

Alien
08-30-10, 16:43
I'd get an ACR but wait for the 1:7 barreled ones.

M4arc
08-30-10, 17:01

I second this. Especially with little ones. I started saving for kids college before they were born and even though they are still 9 and 12 years away from being college age I'm still worried I won't have enough saved for them.

Put have in savings and buy some ammo for your current stock of carbines.