PDA

View Full Version : EMT-B - a couple questions

texasrangers
08-27-10, 17:33
I am starting EMT-B at the end of October. I want to learn as much as I can before I start and was wondering what I should do to best prepare - what books or other materials would you all recommend I study before the class starts? Any other preparation advice would be much appreciated.

I am going to go to Paramedic school after EMT-B. Do you guys believe I should go directly to EMT-P after completion of Basic, or do you think I would be better served working as an EMT for a while (6 mos, a year?) before going to Paramedic school?

I'm guessing that most of the medical professionals here would recommend working as an EMT for the time being and gaining real world experience that way, and this is what I myself am leaning towards, but just wanted to get as much advice as possible. Thanks!

Gutshot John
08-27-10, 17:47
I am starting EMT-B at the end of October. I want to learn as much as I can before I start and was wondering what I should do to best prepare - what books or other materials would you all recommend I study before the class starts? Any other preparation advice would be much appreciated.

Just read your text. I don't think you'll find it too terribly difficult.

I am going to go to Paramedic school after EMT-B. Do you guys believe I should go directly to EMT-P after completion of Basic, or do you think I would be better served working as an EMT for a while (6 mos, a year?) before going to Paramedic school?

IMO you should wait until you've got some time on the street. You may end up hating it and then you've wasted a bunch of time. More specifically the experience gained is invaluable.

I'm guessing that most of the medical professionals here would recommend working as an EMT for the time being and gaining real world experience that way, and this is what I myself am leaning towards, but just wanted to get as much advice as possible. Thanks!

Follow your gut.

chuckman
08-27-10, 18:02
You will get valuable experience as a basic on a bus before being a paramedic. Watch the great medics. What do they do? They do the basics to perfection.

As for the class, just read the book. Learn A&P. You'll be fine.

SeriousStudent
08-27-10, 20:39
This.

IMO you should wait until you've got some time on the street. You may end up hating it and then you've wasted a bunch of time. More specifically the experience gained is invaluable.

Many decades ago, I was an Paramedic/FTO. (We had just stopped using leeches, and switched to that new-fangled gauze stuff. It was that long ago.)

I actually had a new guy that was super-smart on all his knowledge, but vomited the first time he had a real solid arterial spray hit him in the face.

He decided it was not for him. There's a reason the burn-out rate is so high in EMS. Get your feet wet first.

But not literally. ;)

Grumbler
08-27-10, 23:15
Good advice so far!
Read your book and get some time in on the box as a basic.
Once you are smooth on all the basic skills the good paramedics will help you along with the more advanced stuff / tricks of the trade / etc. At that point you can make an informed decision with real world, first hand, experiences to help guide you.
Good luck!

JR TACTICAL
08-27-10, 23:24
I agree with all the above, I reccomend at least 1 year in the field before moving on to medic, I just got my medic 4 months ago( that national registry is a bitch BTW) and I was an basic for 5 years in the field and an had it a total of 7, you need to get a good grasp of basic knowlage and proticals... IT WILL HELP!!! trust me, if you have any questions you can PM me and I will do what I can for ya

and remember ABC's(airway, breathing, circulation)

The Doc
08-28-10, 20:06
Just remember 02 and transport are the B's best friends when it comes to the national registry. Martini makes a great A&P book. It goes all the way from chemical level of organization thru everything you need to know.

Fried Chicken Blowout
08-28-10, 20:33
I spent 2 years as an EMT-Basic (on an ambulance) prior to starting Paramedic school and it was a huge help. I would not suggest doing it any other way. After that I spent 15 years as a Paramedic, several years as an FTO and the last six years as a supervisor... Prior to turing to emergency nursing for more money and flexibility.

I can tell you the worst interns, trainees and new hire Paramedics I ever worked with were those that went straight from Basic to Paramedic without any real experience AND those that only did time on a fire engine or as a life guard, then went to Paramedic school. I'm sure there are some fire fighters that might take off offense to that statement... But without the extended patient contact times offered by working on an ambulance and staying with the patient the whole time, you don't get the experience you need.

All of the simple operational stuff like map reading, operating on the radio, completing reports, using the gurney and other basic equipment on the rig need to be second nature before you start branching out into the advanced stuff. If you've never done any patient contact time prior to jumping into Paramedic school, you will have a hard time focusing on what you need to during your internship. A big part of the job is looking like you know what you're doing, so those around you don't start wondering if you do or don't. Having that hands on time prior to Paramedic school helps make you look smooth on the small stuff so you can concentrate on the big stuff.

Bullwinkle
08-28-10, 22:13
http://www.emtb.com/9e/

ghettomedic
08-29-10, 22:39
Easiest way to be a good EMT-Intermediate...spend a year as a good EMT-Basic.

Easiest way to be a good Paramedic...spend a year as a good EMT-Intermediate.

Just like the shooting sports, "getting your reps" is paramount.

ST911
08-30-10, 09:05
Lots of good advice in here.

Pay attention in your EMT-B class, read your book(s), and master the fundamentals. Get on the busiest service you can (volunteer or paid) and get some experience. Then move on if the job is to your liking.

There are good medics that went straight to their P. The best ones I've worked with worked their way up though. The former tend to be good at working from the book, the latter at thinking on their feet and outside the box.

afff_667
08-30-10, 12:12
I think the decision on whether to go straight from EMT-B to Paramedic school depends greatly on where you're working/volunteering and what ultimate goals you have in EMS. There's no doubt that some good, solid experience following EMT-B school with arterial bleeds, traumatic incidents, CPRs, etc allows you to practice and hone those basic skills and "experience" things before you're the paramedic in charge and have total responsibility for the patient (not to mention the ambulance and your partner).

I've been a Paramedic (Licensed, too, since that certification level was implemented) in Texas for right at 20 years working in the fire service. The issue I see with EMT-Bs in a Paramedic-based system like ours and others with which I am familiar is that EMT-Bs are relegated to driving the ambulance if they're assigned to it at all. You might do some initial patient contacts and make some primary assessments, obtain vitals, get the cot and other gear, do some chest compressions, etc but your activitites will be extremely limited. Of course, the better you are at those things, the more you're trusted and get to do, but that's only up to a point. While the department I work for may hire EMT-Bs, they are either in Paramedic school or scheduled to go.

Look at the hiring requirements of the cities you might want to work for if you're considering a job in a municipal fire department that provides ACLS/paramedic-level care. If already being a paramedic isn't a hiring requirement, it may very well increase your eligibility and hirability. As such, going on to paramedic school would be a good investment in your future.

The only way you're going to become a good, competent medic is through experience. There aren't any shortcuts, and the only way you're going to get experience is to get in the field and make calls. Pay attention to the folks that have their shit together. EMS is one of those areas in which what you get out of it is directly proportional to what you put into it.

Good luck.

dog guy
08-30-10, 14:24
"IMO you should wait until you've got some time on the street. You may end up hating it and then you've wasted a bunch of time. More specifically the experience gained is invaluable".

This advice is spot on. I've got a little over 30 years in the emergency service system. I've seen a lot of smart people get into the field thinking that it will make a great career, only to find that the initial appeal wears off after about 18-24 months. You don't want to sink a ton of time, money, and energy into paramedic school unless you've established for certain that you want to stay in the system for a while. If you decide to advance, you can self study things like A & P, pharmacology, etc while waiting for your shot at medic school so that the advanced instruction is less overwhelming when the time comes. Being a Basic will also teach you a lot about how to treat your coworkers once you become a medic, especially if you operate in a tiered system.

texasrangers
08-31-10, 19:50
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone. I got the answers I was expecting, but wanted to run it by the experienced professionals anyway. If I have any more questions I won't hesitate to ask. Stay safe.

Spoon
08-31-10, 21:34
They had me buy quite a few books for my EMT-B course. I took them all back except the text book and work book. Just study and pay attention and ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS. The instructors love the students that ask questions, they also share tips, storys, and help you out on skills more :D if your willing to learn. I noticed the people in class that didn't take the time to learn weren't taken serious. Also don't wait to take the NREMT test, take it as soon as you can. READ the text book, all the answers are in the text book. I just passed the NREMT 3 months ago, get a cool certificate, and patch lol. Also do your finger prints, and application to the State as soon as you find out you passed the NREMT....it will be a while until you get your State certification, took 2 months until mine came in.

I agree with everyone else get some time in first before doing paramedics. I decided to hold off on it and do A&P1, Medical Terminology, and Dosage&Calc. this semester...might try to get into the RN program instead.

rugbymike
09-02-10, 20:37
Any 68Ws here? I'm Prior Service in the Marines, enlisting into the Army Reserves to be a Combat Medic. To my understanding after ATI (job school) I'll get my EMT Basic. I was thinking about trying to get a job as a Med Tech in an ER.

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-02-10, 21:03
Any 68Ws here? I'm Prior Service in the Marines, enlisting into the Army Reserves to be a Combat Medic. To my understanding after ATI (job school) I'll get my EMT Basic. I was thinking about trying to get a job as a Med Tech in an ER.

I'm currently an RN in an emergency department in Colorado...

All of our techs are EMTs and they get to do all kinds of stuff. I recommend the job to anyone that's looking for a stable position that has room to grow. Most of them make between $12-$15/hour depending on experience. The kinds of skills and freedom you have is hit and miss depending on the hospital you work for. The EMTs at my last hospital were limited to transporting patients, splints and vitals.

Where I'm at now they get to start IVs, draw blood, start foley caths, wound care, dressings and all the other typical stuff. Take some time and choose the right hospital.

Danny Boy
09-06-10, 17:05
Any 68Ws here? I'm Prior Service in the Marines, enlisting into the Army Reserves to be a Combat Medic. To my understanding after ATI (job school) I'll get my EMT Basic.

Whiskey here. You get the civilian EMT-B in the first half of AIT before they teach you the combat medic part in the second half. You're right that you still only get it after, as they get to pull your National Registry cert if you flunk out of the fun stuff because it's on the governments dime. However, you have to be a truly dense individual for that to happen.

Medic548
09-06-10, 18:23
texasrangers, I have instructed several EMT-B classes and am currently a medic program lead instructor. Spoon's info is good stuff, ask questions and answer questions. Even if you are wrong you will learn a tremendous amount of information by participating in class. Attending class is not participating in class. It is a good idea to think about medic school now, but complete EMT and then see how comfortable you are with being an EMT and the EMT scope of practice.

SMOKEEATERFF
09-08-10, 11:33
I would definitelty ride a bus as a basic for a while. I've been a basic with a fire dept for about 3 1/2 years. The text we used wasn't to bad. You could probably just read when you start the class. There was talk of EMT advanced starting in 2011, I think it's still scheduled. The book and the streets can be very different, but for National Registry go by the book. BSI, Scene Safe, etc. Always go in order when studying for Registry and follow it on the streets.

citizensoldier16
09-08-10, 23:19
After 9 years in the field as both a Basic and a Paramedic, I am DEFINITELY a proponent of getting experience before taking the Paramedic class. The information taught in P school is WAY above what's taught in B school, and it's based on real-world experience. I'd definitely recommend at least 6 months to a year of experience on an ambulance as a basic before even attempting the Paramedic curriculum.

STS
09-12-10, 11:18
We had a couple rookies who as soon as they got off probation went straight to medic school. Here in Vegas we have EMT-Intermediates. They got their EMT-I cert while rookies. The problem is, as a rookie, you are stuck o a truck or engine and get very little medical experience. They were complete train wrecks when they got out of medic school. There just is no substitute for running calls on the street and getting experience. You have to get out there and get I'd say a minimum of 6 months street time.

ST911
09-12-10, 17:49
Newly minted but inexperienced medics will have their best chances in agencies with phased integration through strong field training programs. The problem is that so much of the fire/EMS service is part time or volunteer, both of which are less likely to have strong, well-developed FTO programs. Not to mention supervision, QA, and the like.

Not a swipe at those hard working folks, but it is reality.

Dano5326
09-13-10, 20:59
EMT-B = 3 weeks
EMT-P = 3-6 months

no shortcuts.. military medics, SOF, may be underwhelmed with the scope of care permitted a civilian Paramedic. Practical primary care is not really covered & invasive procedures most limited. Isolated care beyond 20 minutes not so much in the paradigm of civilian medicine. The civi courses I attended did not have the infrastructure to permit intensive scenario based trauma training, or the line of sick, lame & lazy common to all military installations. A solid Paramedic will be able to sort out the issues but is limited, by the job & scope, to temporal measures.

citizensoldier16
09-13-10, 21:22
3-6 months for P school? :confused:

Where I come from it takes well over a year.

Dano5326
09-13-10, 21:41
I went a couple times.... once a few months in SD with the firefighters when the command sent me for experience, the cert of course lapsed.. once again when SOCOM decided anyone with a medic qual needed a Paramedic cert :rolleyes: UTSA 11weeks, 7 days a week. 8 hrs class, 8 hrs in the rig on weekdays, 12hr in the rig on weekends... brilliant. Leave it to DOD to make something suck beyond reason.

ST911
09-14-10, 09:03
3-6 months for P school? :confused:Where I come from it takes well over a year.

There are some short crash-courses available nationwide. They vary in quality and admissions criteria. The better of them require certain levels of experience, certs, recommendations, pre-req coursework, and the results show it.

Greyman
09-16-10, 19:44
A recommendation I can make is start becoming familiar with all your major trade name drugs as well as the generics. Having a solid core of 100 popular prescription and otc drug knowledge will go far in helping you.

Tallyho74
09-22-10, 09:40
Experience is the key. Where I run, basics can get alot of experience (at least a couple of years required for department to pay for it ) just running with the paramedics to prepare for P Class. Basics can ventilate with BVM's, place the leads for the 4 or 12 lead , and just getting a feel for things when doing vitals such as breath sounds