PDA

View Full Version : Which new barrel to buy? Now with AAR

iwouldntknow
08-27-10, 22:08
I currently have a rifle with a 14.5 inch ss Noveske barrel. (not currently as pictured)
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/arwithopticchoises.jpg
I have pushed in excess of 10k, probably more like 15k, down the tube. Much of that was Wolf in rapid fire, and I cleaned it with Sweets 7.62. This was before Noveske so nicely put a "Do's and Don'ts" list on his website. I did it in ignorance and am not blaming the barrel. It currently shoots patterns, as in 4+ inch groups at 200 yards.

The barrels I am looking at are:
Noveske 16 inch Recon
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-16-556&cat=91&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Centurion Arms 16 inch lightweight midlength
http://www.centurionarms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=45&category_id=17&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=47

And

An Advanced Barrel Systems Carbon fiber wrapped barrel on a blank of my choice

This is for a go to rifle that I want to see shoot maximum 1 MOA and never fail me. Any advice as to which choice would be best or which blank for a ABS barrel would be best would be much appreciated. If you have any questions I will try to answer them promptly. Thank you in advance.

zukiii
08-27-10, 22:15
i believe i read somewhere that centurion manufactures barrels for noveske. if im wrong im sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

bkb0000
08-27-10, 22:38
i believe i read somewhere that centurion manufactures barrels for noveske. if im wrong im sure someone will be along shortly to correct me.

Noveske manufacturer's noveske's stainless barrels, on Pacnor's tools.

---

OP- are you going to be doing more rapid fire/high volume shooting with it? if so, centurion. although i don't know why you'd need 1moa with a rapid-fire weapon.. guns that get the shit shot out of them generally don't double as precision guns.

also, keep in kind you have no 1moa guarantee with either... you'll probably get that, but might have to settle for 1.5 (oh no!)

ALCOAR
08-27-10, 23:11
I would get the Mike Rock 5R wrapped blank in a heartbeat...nice stick by the way.

iwouldntknow
08-28-10, 00:21

---

OP- are you going to be doing more rapid fire/high volume shooting with it? if so, centurion. although i don't know why you'd need 1moa with a rapid-fire weapon.. guns that get the shit shot out of them generally don't double as precision guns.

also, keep in kind you have no 1moa guarantee with either... you'll probably get that, but might have to settle for 1.5 (oh no!)

Agreed, the 1 MOA is more of a wish than a need. With ammo prices what they are, I probably won't be doing much rapid fire. I am trying to get my rifle to be jack of all trades, master of none. This will be my go to rifle and if I have to go to my rifle S has HTF, and I'm not going to know what I'm going to have to shoot. I talk with an employee of ABS tonight and that way sounds interesting, but I wasn't sure about durability. It promises light weight, long throat life, fast cooldown times, and accuracy, but apparently won't work with a chrome lined bore unless I say to build one for me and not worry about the accuracy. From there the accuracy could be excellent or could be horrible.

87GN
08-28-10, 00:28
This is for a go to rifle that I want to see shoot maximum 1 MOA and never fail me. Any advice as to which choice would be best or which blank for a ABS barrel would be best would be much appreciated. If you have any questions I will try to answer them promptly. Thank you in advance.

With what ammunition are you shooting 4" groups at 200 yards? That's good shooting with non-match ammo. You're presumably using irons for that? Honestly, 2 MOA at 200 yards with irons is nothing to scoff at.

iwouldntknow
08-28-10, 00:31
With what ammunition are you shooting 4" groups at 200 yards? That's good shooting with non-match ammo. You're presumably using irons for that? Honestly, 2 MOA at 200 yards with irons is nothing to scoff at.

Sorry, forgot to specify. That is with PRVI partizan 75 gr OTM with a Mark 4 6.5-20 on 20x off a harris bipod and a a beanbag.

87GN
08-28-10, 00:33
Sorry, forgot to specify. That is with PRVI partizan 75 gr OTM with a Mark 4 6.5-20 on 20x off a harris bipod and a a beanbag.

Okay, on a good day, that's MOA to sub-MOA stuff. Still, 2 MOA with it is not anything that would cause me to want to replace the barrel. If you do want to replace it, let me have first dibs on the barrel.

Edit - Ha! I didn't even see the big scope on the floor there. You did a good job with the camo paint ;)

iwouldntknow
08-28-10, 21:59
Okay, on a good day, that's MOA to sub-MOA stuff. Still, 2 MOA with it is not anything that would cause me to want to replace the barrel. If you do want to replace it, let me have first dibs on the barrel.

Edit - Ha! I didn't even see the big scope on the floor there. You did a good job with the camo paint ;)

Thanks, and you got first dibs when I decide on what to get. Anyone else have an opinion? Does anyone know any downside to a CF wrapped noveske SS blank?

RyanB
08-28-10, 22:06
When you give Mike at ABS your credit card for the new barrel ask him to return Seth B's phone calls. Or his barrels. Or his money. Or maybe 2 of 3?

Hell, if you can even get in touch with him you're ahead of the curve.

1911pro
08-29-10, 07:45
I would wait and buy a chrome lined Noveske when they start selling them. They list the 10.5 on their web site. In the future they will offer the 16inch.

Hmac
08-29-10, 08:14

---

Noveske mfgr's their barrels at Pac-Nor on Noveske tooling.

bkb0000
08-29-10, 11:34
I would wait and buy a chrome lined Noveske when they start selling them. They list the 10.5 on their web site. In the future they will offer the 16inch.

chrome-lined? have you heard that they're going to sell N4L barrels separately?

bkb0000
08-29-10, 11:40
Noveske mfgr's their barrels at Pac-Nor on Noveske tooling.

i said tools, not tooling.

1911pro
08-29-10, 11:43
chrome-lined? have you heard that they're going to sell N4L barrels separately?

Yes. They have the 10.5 online. I called to see how many they had about a month ago and asked if they would be selling the longer barrels. Answer was yes, but no date given.

Hmac
08-29-10, 12:41
i said tools, not tooling.

:confused:

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-rifleworks-n4-light-recce-carbine-john-noveske-interview-part-one/

Noveske: Our stainless barrels are made partially in ourshop and partially in Pac-Nor’s shop. And, the relationship that I have with Pac-Nor…I used to work there, and now what’s goin’ on is I buy steel, I take it to Pac-Nor, when the guys clock out of Pac-Nor, they clock into our barrel production. They machine my blanks with our tooling, which is all made to our design, including the drills, reamers, button, so forth, so on. They stress-relieve to our recipe, and then they give the barrels back to us, and then we finish them all in our shop.

bkb0000
08-29-10, 16:20
:confused:

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-rifleworks-n4-light-recce-carbine-john-noveske-interview-part-one/

"tooling" is all that is listed in the quote you posted... when i said "tools," i mean the mills, lathes, presses, racks, carts, clamps, vises, wrenches, screwdrivers, safety glasses, coffee cups, ashtrays, etc. noveske uses their own tooling on pacnor equipment.

bkb0000
08-29-10, 16:49
Yes. They have the 10.5 online. I called to see how many they had about a month ago and asked if they would be selling the longer barrels. Answer was yes, but no date given.

so they do.. oh mah goodness. this changes everything...

Hmac
08-29-10, 17:19
"tooling" is all that is listed in the quote you posted... when i said "tools," i mean the mills, lathes, presses, racks, carts, clamps, vises, wrenches, screwdrivers, safety glasses, coffee cups, ashtrays, etc. noveske uses their own tooling on pacnor equipment.

:D

BlueOvalFan
08-30-10, 03:12

I've called too--got the same answer. In fact the sales tech mentioned it could be months if not years before that happend!

iwouldntknow
08-31-10, 21:25
I called Noveske today and was told SS barrel life is 8-12k rounds. My upper is going in to noveske to get a 16 inch midlength chome lined barrel put pn it. From the sound of it, they are going to keep the barrel for product development. Sorry 87GN. I also ordered a Centurion 16 inch barrel. If more info becomes available to me about the ABS barrels I may have them build me one. I think I just one upped TOS motto. I got both with a possibility of 3.:dance3:

BlueOvalFan
09-01-10, 17:11
"...My upper is going in to noveske to get a 16 inch midlength chome lined barrel put pn it..."
How are did you get them to do that--I thought they were not selling their chromelined barrels separately to the public. Or is your upper all Noveske and they are more or less just servicing their product.

bkb0000
09-01-10, 18:02
How are did you get them to do that--I thought they were not selling their chromelined barrels separately to the public. Or is your upper all Noveske and they are more or less just servicing their product.

as stated above, apparently they are changing policy. and it's awesome.

decodeddiesel
09-01-10, 18:08
I called Noveske today and was told SS barrel life is 8-12k rounds. My upper is going in to noveske to get a 16 inch midlength chome lined barrel put pn it. From the sound of it, they are going to keep the barrel for product development. Sorry 87GN. I also ordered a Centurion 16 inch barrel. If more info becomes available to me about the ABS barrels I may have them build me one. I think I just one upped TOS motto. I got both with a possibility of 3.:dance3:

If you could, post up a review and some pics when you get it. I am planning on buying one of these from Monty in the next couple weeks...

BlueOvalFan
09-01-10, 20:47
Not to split hairs, but his statement wasn't very clear or definitive. If he has a complete Noveske upper I can seem them rebarreling it at some cost to him.

I must be getting old or its my military experience coming out, but I'm a firm believer of 'trust, but verify' adage.

Now if they're now retailing their chromeline barrels that is "awesome". I sent them an email last week on this same topic--no reply yet. BUT...I will be calling tomorrow and confirm the above statement...again...that would be awesome.

BlueOvalFan
09-02-10, 16:43
I called Noveske today and was told SS barrel life is 8-12k rounds. My upper is going in to noveske to get a 16 inch midlength chome lined barrel put pn it. From the sound of it, they are going to keep the barrel for product development.
There are specifics here to take advantage of rebarelling from a Noveske SS to Chromelined. See below...

I called Noveske to clarify the above statement and according to the sales rep here's how it goes:

- Noveske, other than the 10.5" shown on their website does not sell standalone chromelined barrels.
- As I assumed the only way you can get a chromelined barrel is to send in your complete upper and if your SS barrel is shot out, warn out or just plain beat to hell you may elect to have them install a chromelined barrel. BUT...this is at the discretion of their technicians. In other words...it better be a leg-git shot out barrel because they "WILL NOT" take your word for it.

Oh well...guess they wait goes on until I can shoot out my Noveske SS.

1911pro
09-02-10, 17:30
I called Noveske to clarify the above statement and according to the sales rep here's how it goes:

- Noveske, other than the 10.5" shown on their website does not sell standalone chromelined barrels.
- As I assumed the only way you can get a chromelined barrel is to send in your complete upper and if your SS barrel is shot out, warn out or just plain beat to hell you may elect to have them install a chromelined barrel. BUT...this is at the discretion of their technicians. In other words...it better be a leg-git shot out barrel because they "WILL NOT" take your word for it.

True. The sales rep that I talked to said the longer barrels would be offered for sale in the future. I see no reason to question this as they are selling the 10.5 on their web site now.

BlueOvalFan
09-02-10, 19:15
True. The sales rep that I talked to said the longer barrels would be offered for sale in the future. I see no reason to question this as they are selling the 10.5 on their web site now.

In the context of the discussion, or at least from my perspective, it seemed as though the comment was impling that the 'all' of the chromelined barrels would be available. I think we can all see from the website what's for sale and what's not.

If I read to much into his comment then my apologies...

1911pro
09-02-10, 19:51
In the context of the discussion, or at least from my perspective, it seemed as though the comment was impling that the 'all' of the chromelined barrels would be available. I think we can all see from the website what's for sale and what's not.

If I read to much into his comment then my apologies...

No one in this thread ever said they are available now. From your earlier post it seems that you do not beleive the longer barrels will be available in the future because they are not offered now. I am using the 10.5 as an example of Noveske selling a CL barrel to the general public(a first). The rep told me the longer barrels would be sold. Your guess is as good as mine as to how long. It will be a good thing when they do.:D

bkb0000
09-02-10, 23:48
indeed.. i'll just quote myself, as my words mean what they say.

silly little argument that's brewed up here for some reason.

iwouldntknow
09-04-10, 11:34
Sorry for not replying for a while. I was at my cousin's OSUT graduation.
My upper shipped to Noveske Thursday. I guess we'll see what happens from here. I'll post pics whatever happens.
I also got shipping confirmation from Centurion this morning.

iwouldntknow
09-29-10, 20:35
Noveske barrel Sorry for the pic quality. My UNBREAKABLE Olympus camera died, so I had to use my blackberry 8130.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG00548.jpg

The Centurion Barrel I have not mounted it yet, but I think I'm gonna mount it in a MUR and a Troy VTac tan rail like my other upper.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG00541.jpg

Two groups with the Noveske S&B Shortdot and 75 gr OTM PRVI Partisan.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG00538.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG00537.jpg

My Rifle currently
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG00550.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/223556762308/IMG00551.jpg