PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on new Handgun?

Tun_Tavern215
08-28-10, 12:44
I apologize for any misunderstandings on to my previous post. What it basically all comes down to, is I would like to purchase a new weapon system, and would like to expand and try different platforms. I currently have a Sig P229 .40, this is my 1st handgun and a great handgun. 9 times out of 10 every time I go to the range I am satisfied with the results. Back When I 1st purchased the Sig, I figured that was it one handgun and that’s all, but now that I am going to purchase another system, I just wanted to get suggestions and advice on the pro/con’s on the variety of platforms out there from more experienced individuals who have a larger knowledge base on all sorts of weapons than myself.

Entropy
08-28-10, 12:57
This is all relative to what you already have.....your P229 .40. So, before we can answer any of your questions accurately, you need to tell us what you do and do not like about your P229 .40 that you might want to change. That will let us know what direction you should probably go towards in regard to platform and caliber.

M4arc
08-28-10, 13:04
I don't understand why you're willing to go to a completely different platform because of holster issues? Have you tried something like a Milt Sparks, Kramer, CCC Looper, or Comp-Tac to name a few? What holster(s) are you using now and what have you tried in the past?

Any of those that I mentioned offer great IWB holsters for the P229 that will offer you comfort, concealability and save you hundreds of dollars and hours upon hours in learning and getting up to speed on a new platform.

Sigs are perfectly fine for CCW so don't ditch them just because you've not had any luck finding a holster. Ask Templar what holster he uses for his Sigs.

However, if you want to use this opportunity to jump to a new platform (sometimes any excuse will do :D) I recommend you take a look at the G19 RTF2. Stone reliable, parts, magazines, accessories and holsters are every where, and the texturing on the grip is the best I've every felt. If you're stuck on the .40S&W then look at the G23 RTF2.

Hound_va
08-28-10, 13:15
A lighter handgun is one thing.

IWB holsters for your current 229 can be had from nearly every source of holsters.

Choice of caliber is an entirely different issue.

If you like and can run the 229 acceptably, then begin the task of finding you an IWB holster that you find comfortable. There is no shortage of holster makers who make IWB holsters to fit that particular handgun. It is often a bit of a trial and error process to find what you find comfortable, but limited availability isn't an issue. You may not find them at your local gunshop and have to order them from makers. Sparks, Kramer, 5 Shot, Sherrick, Nossar, Alessi, just to name a few, have offerings to meet your IWB requirement.

Tun_Tavern215
08-28-10, 13:53
I don't understand why you're willing to go to a completely different platform because of holster issues? Have you tried something like a Milt Sparks, Kramer, CCC Looper, or Comp-Tac to name a few? What holster(s) are you using now and what have you tried in the past?

Any of those that I mentioned offer great IWB holsters for the P229 that will offer you comfort, concealability and save you hundreds of dollars and hours upon hours in learning and getting up to speed on a new platform.

Sigs are perfectly fine for CCW so don't ditch them just because you've not had any luck finding a holster. Ask Templar what holster he uses for his Sigs.

However, if you want to use this opportunity to jump to a new platform (sometimes any excuse will do :D) I recommend you take a look at the G19 RTF2. Stone reliable, parts, magazines, accessories and holsters are every where, and the texturing on the grip is the best I've every felt. If you're stuck on the .40S&W then look at the G23 RTF2.

My apologies for any confusion, just to clear up on the misunderstanding, I am not ditching my Sig p229 I love this handgun! Aside from it being my first handgun, every time I go to the range I am Satisfied with the results. I should have taken the time to type up my post a bit more understandable lol. What it all comes down to is, the time for me to purchase a new weapon has arrived and I want to expand and try different systems out since I am new to the personal weapon side of the world.

Hound_va
08-28-10, 14:11
Simple way to help narrow down the "which new handgun should I buy" question is to go to a range and rent whatever models catch your fancy. That should narrow the choices down considerably. Then you can seek advice on the quality of the models that you have found that you prefer. What I like and works well for me doesn't always translate into what others like or what works well for them.

Tun_Tavern215
08-28-10, 14:15
Simple way to help narrow down the "which new handgun should I buy" question is to go to a range and rent whatever models catch your fancy. That should narrow the choices down considerably. Then you can seek advice on the quality of the models that you have found that you prefer. What I like and works well for me doesn't always translate into what others like or what works well for them.

No problem! I guess I'll have to just go and test different types of platforms and like someone else mention let trial and Error Decide. Thank you and I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome of my new purchase.

Hound_va
08-28-10, 14:27
You may want to check back with your proposed selections prior to plunking down your cash. That helps eliminate the "I didn't know it was an unreliable junker" buyers remorse type feelings.

Hmac
08-28-10, 14:37
I've had a P229 in 40 cal for 13 years. It has been an excellent handgun, utterly reliable and exceptionally accurate. I love it. I wanted to get something different too. Contemplated, in the end, Glock, HK and S&W in 9mm. Ultimately settled on the M&P9L (long slide) with a DCAEK, primarily for use in 3 gun etc. The main reason was the differences...DA vs SA/DA, full size vs compact (sight radius), 9mm vs .40 (cheaper ammo, less recoil). Just couldn't bring myself to go Glock (an aesthetics thing for me) and price/availability of the HK put me off. Satisfied with the M&P so far. It's not at the same level IMHO of my good old 1st gen P229, but shoots very well and has met my expectations. If and when I ever carry concealed (not often), I use the SIG or my PPS, or maybe one of the Colt .380's I've had around for years.

GLOCKMASTER
08-28-10, 14:51
I cannot understand why we are having this conversation when there are numerous threads discussing the different pistol platforms that are currently being produced. I guess that would take a little leg work on using the search function and reading through the pages that are already posted here.

Hmac
08-28-10, 15:04
I cannot understand why we are having this conversation when there are numerous threads discussing the different pistol platforms that are currently being produced. I guess that would take a little leg work on using the search function and reading through the pages that are already posted here.

This type of statement comes up a lot around here. I'm curious what problem this conversation poses that it would warrant such a response...

John_Wayne777
08-28-10, 16:34
There is already a wealth of information in previous threads. One of our members was even kind enough to assemble a lot of the data in one helpful place:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221