PDA

View Full Version : To supress or not to supress?

sabresbrs
08-28-10, 18:41
Guys I want to get the Rem 700 sps tactical and a leupold scope. Cost with everything out the door prob about a grand. I would love to suppress this configuration, but would be another grand and four to five month wait time for transfer. Is the silencer worth the extra money and effort?

Enoc
08-28-10, 22:16
YES... buy once cry once. It is a great investment that you will have for the rest of your life. The cost will obviously depend on the suppressor, but if you buy quality you will not regret it. There are numerous benefits, so suppress that biotch asap.

Also if you buy one with a quick detach mount you can usually buy a mount to use on a 223 or other smaller caliber as well. And the average wait now is about 2 months. Good luck.

RyanB
08-29-10, 01:43
If there is anything that should be suppressed, it is a precision rifle.

sabresbrs
08-29-10, 06:11
I already have a silenced ar-15. I guess I may as well bite the bullet and go for it! I am going to do it!

Enoc
08-29-10, 11:49
I already have a silenced ar-15. I guess I may as well bite the bullet and go for it! I am going to do it!

What suppressor are you thinking about getting?

sabresbrs
08-29-10, 20:34
aac 762 sd

Enoc
08-29-10, 21:16
aac 762 sd

Sweet, that's a great can. And even though you already have an AR suppressor, you can still get the 51T mount to use on an AR as well if you want in the future. Sounds great man. You are going to be very happy you did this. And if you're not, you can give it to me. I'll pay the stamps... :D have fun.

mcmillanman5
08-29-10, 22:49
If there is anything that should be suppressed, it is a precision rifle.

I agree 100%

For a bolt gun I would rather have a thread mount can like the cyclone over a qd can.

Wicked
08-30-10, 08:56
I've got basically the same Remington SPS set-up and it's out getting chopped & threaded for a thread mount suppressor right now. Agreed, that's a nice can. I'm sure you won't regret your decision. I was never that heavy into precision shooting, but have been very happy with how bolt guns have performed while suppressed. I shoot them a lot more now.

Inuvik
08-30-10, 11:16
How quiet are suppressors (percieved sound, not DB readings) in reality? I have been looking at purchasing a threaded Rem 700 in .308 for my Dept. but am unsure if it is actually worth it for the $$.

I understand that with a high velocity non-subsonic round there will be some noise. However, is the noise reduction enough to keep "the neighbors" from becoming interested in what we are up to?