PDA

View Full Version : Question about M&P with DCAEK

Omega Man
08-28-10, 20:23
Is there any travel before the break on reset?

spamsammich
08-28-10, 20:50
yes..

Omega Man
08-28-10, 20:59
I like the fact that there is no slack before the break on reset with Glock's and the Sig SRT. Another one bites the dust.

SWATcop556
08-28-10, 22:31
Being a Glock fan and really liking the trigger for a polymer handgun, I'm a huge fan of the M&P with the Apex DCAEK. I carry one on duty now and I don't miss my Glocks or their triggers. You should really try one out before you write it off. I wasn't a believer until I actually tried one. I don't think you would regret it.

spamsammich
08-29-10, 00:25
The glock trigger is very unique. The DCAEK equipped M&P does not reset anywhere near as loudly or forcefully as a Glock trigger. That being said, mine has about a millimeter of uptake before tripping the sear. No other pistol I've ever handled comes as close to a Glock trigger as my M&P 9 with the full DCAEK. To write one off because it doesn't have a Glock trigger is sadly ignorant. You will be horrified by the P30 trigger.

DocGKR
08-29-10, 18:04
I actually prefer the M&P/Apex Duty Kit trigger to that of the stock 5.5 lbs trigger on the Glocks I have used the past 2 decades. Last week, several 1911 carrying SWAT guys here tried M&P45's with the Apex Duty Kit--all of them felt that these were the first pistols they had shot that they would be willing to carry instead of their 1911's.

Omega Man
08-29-10, 18:23
The glock trigger is very unique. The DCAEK equipped M&P does not reset anywhere near as loudly or forcefully as a Glock trigger. That being said, mine has about a millimeter of uptake before tripping the sear. No other pistol I've ever handled comes as close to a Glock trigger as my M&P 9 with the full DCAEK. To write one off because it doesn't have a Glock trigger is sadly ignorant. You will be horrified by the P30 trigger.

The Sig SRT is excellent too. I am curious about the DCAEK, after hearing all the kudos. I just dont want to buy an M&P, without having tried one with the DCAEK installed. I got rid of my P30, due to its trigger and obtrusive slide stop.

texag
08-29-10, 21:42
If you want your gun to make a loud click to tell you it reset stick with glock.

If you want a trigger that is smooth and crisp while still pushing your finger to reset with authority faster than you can get back on target, go with the M&P + DCAEK.

Omega Man
08-29-10, 21:46
Im not too concerned with the click that a Glock has. I just dont like moving thru space before the break. I want the break to be right there at reset. I have that with a Glock or Sig SRT. Short reset and no travel before the break on reset.

Randy Lee
08-29-10, 21:56
I just finished our trigger reset assist prototype today. It improves the tactile reset without affecting trigger pull weight. Like all our parts, it will be thoroughly tested before its release. It is designed to work with all our parts, and is a drop in kit.

The anemic reset will be a thing of the past. :)

-Randy

Boris
08-29-10, 22:03
so do I buy the DCAEK now or wait for a better product? I just can't keep up with the Joneses...

John_Wayne777
08-29-10, 22:04
Is there any travel before the break on reset?

Yes, you will have to move the trigger to break the shot, even if you are holding at the reset point. It's not a 1911 trigger, after all...

so do I buy the DCAEK now or wait for a better product? I just can't keep up with the Joneses...

Not to attempt to speak for Randy here, but I believe the reset device he is referring to will be an addition to the DCAEK...not a replacement for it. In other words, another part designed to work in harmony with the other Apex parts. So you buy the DCAEK today and you can install the new part down the road when it is released.

jaxman7
08-29-10, 22:14
Omega I have a m&p 9 with the apex kit. I also have a G19 as well. Yes my glock has a firmer reset but the trigger pull is way smoother on the apex equipped Smith. As Doc said if a bunch of pros thought about switching from 1911s to the m&p that says alot. If you would've told me a year ago I would be selling one of my 1911s in for a polymer framed striker fired gun I would have cussed you right then and there. Yes a firm reset on a gun is great and the glock without question exceeds any m&p (at least until Randy Lee introduces his new trigger bar) but don't let that be your deciding factor and get some trigger time with the real deal. There is alot of hype over this handgun on M4C for a reason.

jaxman7
08-29-10, 22:22
Randy I have been very much been anticipating this product from you. You're continuing evolution of the performance of the m&p lineup is outstanding. Keep it up bud.

I just finished our trigger reset assist prototype today. It improves the tactile reset without affecting trigger pull weight. Like all our parts, it will be thoroughly tested before its release. It is designed to work with all our parts, and is a drop in kit.

The anemic reset will be a thing of the past. :)

-Randy

Randy Lee
08-29-10, 22:26
Thank you JW777,

You are absolutely right. The kit will work in conjunction with all our AEKs. I tested the proto on a MA compliant gun with our DCAEK and our Competition AEK.

Because our comp kit uses a reduced power trigger return spring, the trigger reset is even less distinct. So it made sense to try that combination. It made the reset very positive without affecting Lisa's 2.5 lb trigger pull.

With the DC trigger return spring in the MA gun, the reset was significantly more pronounced. On par with my carry 1911 anyway...

-Randy

jaxman7
08-29-10, 22:38
Apologies for hogging this thread omega but Randy are you still looking at about a December release date for your new product?

Randy Lee
08-29-10, 23:33
Apologies for hogging this thread omega but Randy are you still looking at about a December release date for your new product?
Hi jaxman,

First, thanks for your kind words.

The trigger bar design is going painfully slow, so I think Jan for SHOT show will be the earliest.

The new reset enhancement should be available by the end of September. I have wanted to improve the reset for several months now, but the solution to the problem didn't pop into my head until this morning.
I feel stupid for not seeing the answer sooner...

-Randy

Randy Lee
08-29-10, 23:46

Im not too concerned with the click that a Glock has. I just dont like moving thru space before the break. I want the break to be right there at reset. I have that with a Glock or Sig SRT. Short reset and no travel before the break on reset.

Omega Man,

I am not sure I understand your description... if you are referring to the distance from when you feel the trigger reset to the point where the trigger begins moving the sear, there is no unwanted slack in the M&P with our parts.

For the first shot, there is take up so that the trigger bar deactivates the striker block safety. But for subsequent shots, if you register the reset, there is no unnecessary slack in the trigger.

-Randy

jaxman7
08-30-10, 00:13
Randy no worries on the release date man! It'll be worth the wait I'm sure. Could you elaborate on the reset enhancement kit and what all it entails? Thanks!
-Jax

Omega Man
08-30-10, 05:51
Omega Man,

I am not sure I understand your description... if you are referring to the distance from when you feel the trigger reset to the point where the trigger begins moving the sear, there is no unwanted slack in the M&P with our parts.

For the first shot, there is take up so that the trigger bar deactivates the striker block safety. But for subsequent shots, if you register the reset, there is no unnecessary slack in the trigger.

-Randy

I pretty sure we are on the same page, in reference to the slack or lack thereof, before the break. I just wish i knew some blokes that had a DCAEK equipped M&P9, so i could see for myself what all the fuss is about.

Then again, its probably better for my wallet not to. Thanks to Randy and the rest of you gents for your reply's.

Hmac
08-30-10, 06:03
I have a DCAEK on order (backorder, according to my dealer). I won't be carrying the M&P9L, it will be a game gun, so a 4.5 lb trigger pull is fine with me. Am I correct in my understanding that I can skip installing the trigger return spring and get that 4.5 lb trigger pull, but that would be at the expense of a softer and less-distinct reset "click"?

maximus83
08-30-10, 08:00
I actually prefer the M&P/Apex Duty Kit trigger to that of the stock 5.5 lbs trigger on the Glocks I have used the past 2 decades. Last week, several 1911 carrying SWAT guys here tried M&P45's with the Apex Duty Kit--all of them felt that these were the first pistols they had shot that they would be willing to carry instead of their 1911's.

Good to hear. I've found that my stock mid-size M&P 45 shoots nearly as accurately as my custom 1911's. Which is something when you consider both of them cost quite a bit more than the M&P. I think a better trigger would pull the M&P up to the same level as the 1911's.

Randy Lee
08-30-10, 10:32
I have a DCAEK on order (backorder, according to my dealer). I won't be carrying the M&P9L, it will be a game gun, so a 4.5 lb trigger pull is fine with me. Am I correct in my understanding that I can skip installing the trigger return spring and get that 4.5 lb trigger pull, but that would be at the expense of a softer and less-distinct reset "click"?

Hmac,

Have your dealer contact midway, dillon precision, speed shooter specialties, or Brownell's. All of them should have stock on hand.

As far as having to live with a less distinct reset, the new reset assist parts I am working on will give you an audible click as you release the trigger.
I am pushing it's T&E timetable ahead of a few other projects. My goal is to have the kits available in about a month.

-Randy

Randy Lee
08-30-10, 10:41
Randy no worries on the release date man! It'll be worth the wait I'm sure. Could you elaborate on the reset enhancement kit and what all it entails? Thanks!
-Jax

Hi Jax,

The kit applies inward pressure to the trigger bar towards the back end, closer to the trigger loop. Since it is independent of the trigger return spring it does not affect pull weight. It does increase the "clickitivity" of the reset.

-Randy

jaxman7
08-30-10, 11:48
Thank you for the info Randy. I am looking forward to it.

-Jax

Hmac
08-30-10, 16:24
Hmac,

Have your dealer contact midway, dillon precision, speed shooter specialties, or Brownell's. All of them should have stock on hand.

Thanks Randy. I had him order the DCAEK when he ordered the M&P9L. He's aggressive on his pricing for me. I don't know where he ordered it from and I didn't catch his whole explanation, but I'm thinking he picked a place where he can sell it to me cheaper and still make a buck himself. I'm OK with that. He's a nice guy and a valuable resource, and I want him to do well.

I look forward to the new reset mechanism.

hworang00
08-30-10, 19:07
I have the DCAEK on my M&P 9c, let me say: It makes a WORLD of difference and it's a HUGE improvement over the stock trigger. I've unfortunately not been able to shoot too many pistols (glocks, XDms, berretas, 1911's, and a couple others) but my M&P with the DCAEK kit has to be one of the cleanest and crispest triggers I've ever felt. Hope that helps a bit. :D Happy shooting.

Boris
09-01-10, 23:08
"clickitivity" -Randy

I love it.
If I may - a paraphrased definition as coined by the maker: Clickitivity: The positive tactile, audible, and immediate sensation of preparedness in the trigger action upon reset of the striker.

Randy Lee
09-01-10, 23:56
I love it.
If I may - a paraphrased definition as coined by the maker: Clickitivity: The positive tactile, audible, and immediate sensation of preparedness in the trigger action upon reset of the striker.

Thanks Boris,

I am going to start another thread about how important is trigger reset is to the M&P owner at large. I honestly want to know since I am about to invest a reasonably large bit of money into the project.

I would hate to go back to slinging burgers because there isn't any need for the part...

-Randy

ElrodCod
09-02-10, 09:05
Thanks Boris,

I am going to start another thread about how important is trigger reset is to the M&P owner at large. I honestly want to know since I am about to invest a reasonably large bit of money into the project.

I would hate to go back to slinging burgers because there isn't any need for the part...

-Randy

I'll buy one & if push comes to shove I'll buy a burger too.:lol:

johnson
09-03-10, 18:18
I received my DCAEK yesterday and only installed the sear and spring kit and left the house as soon as I put it back together. Took it bowling pin shooting and had my fastest time ever, 2.08 seconds from low ready (5 pins at 7 yards). I barely got to dry fire the gun but got used to it real quick with average times in 3.xx (sight alignment issue). The audible or tactile reset as it is doesn't bother me because my finger moves further out than the reset point anyway.

m98evolution
09-03-10, 19:00
Randy, thanks again for your work put into making the M&P better. I have enjoyed your enhancement kit thus far and would purchase your reset kit in a heart beat!

Randy Lee
09-03-10, 19:15
Randy, thanks again for your work put into making the M&P better. I have enjoyed your enhancement kit thus far and would purchase your reset kit in a heart beat!

You guys rock!

Hardchrome
09-03-10, 19:25
Randy,

I have the DCAEK in my M&P 9, and it really makes a world of difference, no complaints here. :cool:

Randy Lee
09-03-10, 19:31
Randy,

I have the DCAEK in my M&P 9, and it really makes a world of difference, no complaints here. :cool:

Thank you!

kartoffel
09-03-10, 20:04
Not to attempt to speak for Randy here, but I believe the reset device he is referring to will be an addition to the DCAEK...not a replacement for it. In other words, another part designed to work in harmony with the other Apex parts. So you buy the DCAEK today and you can install the new part down the road when it is released.

That's my understanding as well, from reading Randy's explanation over on mp-pistol.com. Once the new Apex trigger bar / reset enhancer doodad is ready for primetime I plan to add one to my DCAEK.

Hmac
09-22-10, 19:11
The DCAEK I had my dealer get for me finally came in (apparently had been backordered at Brownell's). Watched the Youtube video and installed the USB and sear/spring. Pretty straightforward - was able to do it just at my desk without having to go out to the workbench. I decided to hold off on the trigger spring since I really like the dry-fire trigger pull as it is. I'll wait and see how it shoots and resets before deciding whether or not to go the rest of the way. It's unlikely I'll carry this gun so a lighter pull shouldn't be a problem.

Hmac
09-25-10, 15:49
OK, I was able to put about 350 rounds through my M&P9L this afternoon after installing the DCAEK the other day. I was shocked at the difference it made in my shooting compared to the stock trigger. I didn't install the trigger return spring. I like the pull as is, and the reset is fine for me

Amazing piece of work, Randy.