PDA

View Full Version : How did I do so far?

86K5
08-28-10, 20:51
So, I have been slowly building my first AR. After much research, most of it on here, this is what I have decided. I wanted to build a KISS carbine. I already have an RRA lower with an RRA parts kit, A2 stock, and an RRA upper. The upper is just a bare A4 upper with the FA and ejection port cover. I went to Bravo Company and picked up a Daniel Defense 16" M4 Button Rifle Barrel (includes front sight bases), here: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-16-M4-Carbine-Gas-Barrel-Assembly-p/dd%20m4%20brl%20asm.htm , carbine gas tube, delta ring assembly, round handguard cap, barrel nut, and A2 flashider assembly. Next paycheck I plan on getting the Daniels Defense BCG here : http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/dd%209300.htm . My brother is giving me his M4 handguards.

What say you about my choices so far? I also am planning on running a Magpul Miad grip, Magpul rear sight, and some optic that I haven't decided on yet.

Oh yes, I am new here and have already learned alot and hopefully can contribute more.

JR TACTICAL
08-28-10, 21:08
Sounds good so far, RRA makes solid lowers and parts kits, anything from DD or BCM is awesome, I would have gone midlength if I was going to build one up again, but that is just personal preferance, Sounds like its going to be a sweet shooting rifle. Poast some pics when your done

500grains
08-28-10, 21:11
It's fun to build your own AR, and what you are putting together should end up being a good shooter. The fact is that it costs a big bunch of money to actually wear out an Ar.

MookNW
08-28-10, 21:13
I'd say you're well on your way to a dependable rifle that will serve you well. Good choices. I hear the RRA uppers/lowers have a nice tight fit. Does the RRA upper have M4 feed ramps? The barrel you chose requires them I think.

Nothin like building rifles.

86K5
08-28-10, 21:24
Sounds good so far, RRA makes solid lowers and parts kits, anything from DD or BCM is awesome, I would have gone midlength if I was going to build one up again, but that is just personal preferance, Sounds like its going to be a sweet shooting rifle. Poast some pics when your done

I was looking at mid-length but they were out of stock/ more than I wanted to spend at this point.

I'd say you're well on your way to a dependable rifle that will serve you well. Good choices. I hear the RRA uppers/lowers have a nice tight fit. Does the RRA upper have M4 feed ramps? The barrel you chose requires them I think.

Nothin like building rifles.

It does not but it ain't nothin but a thang. :dance3: The upper is not as tight as I would like but it's nothing a little money wouldn't fix.

Simple and reliable is what I am looking for. Just gonna be hard to wait till Wed for it to get here. I was gonna go with a DS Arms complete upper but the 1/7 twist sold me on the DD. I was completely surprised how quickly an upper can go together. Just gotta get me a barrel wrench and a new torque wrench.

86K5
08-29-10, 08:14
A cheap poser pic of what I have so far.

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_5080.jpg

I have decided to try the A2 stock for a bit but I will probably be swapping it out for a Magpul MOE buttstock down the line. I plan on using this for general shooting and varmit, both the furry kind and God forbid the two legged kind. This will be my goto rifle. That is why I want it as simply and reliable as possible. Though with everything available today, we'll see how long that lasts. :dance3:

Mike Miller
08-29-10, 11:46
Since you already have the rifle extension, you may want to get a $5 A1 surplus stock from Norrell's if you decide the A2 stock is not for you. I really like mine. Would be cheaper than going for a MOE with carbine extension

Stickman
08-29-10, 13:46
Since you already have the rifle extension, you may want to get a $5 A1 surplus stock from Norrell's if you decide the A2 stock is not for you.

Link? I don't see it on his site.

Mike Miller
08-29-10, 14:59
I'm sorry, I had the names confused, been a while since I ordered it.

Numrich, not Norrell.

http://gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=564720A&catid=7270

86K5
08-29-10, 15:29
The A1 and the A2 look identical to me. Whats the difference?

PrarieDog
08-29-10, 15:42
length. about 3/4" IIRC

08-29-10, 16:49
If you have the time, I'd ditch the RRA parts kit and go with Colt. There is a difference. Colt QC is much better; I believe they also manufacture these in house. I should also add if you can afford the price diff. I also would ditch the RRA upper. Not well thought of here. Go with BCM; better quality at a competitive price. Why buy a DD BCG when the BCM BCG is $10 cheaper(and we all know Paul is a great guy)? BTW, a tight fit b/w upper and lower doesn't mean sh**.

86K5
08-29-10, 17:58
If you have the time, I'd ditch the RRA parts kit and go with Colt. There is a difference. Colt QC is much better; I believe they also manufacture these in house. I should also add if you can afford the price diff. I also would ditch the RRA upper. Not well thought of here. Go with BCM; better quality at a competitive price. Why buy a DD BCG when the BCM BCG is $10 cheaper(and we all know Paul is a great guy)? BTW, a tight fit b/w upper and lower doesn't mean sh**.

One, the RRA parts kit is already installed and though it can be swapped out at a moments notice, I am one who believes if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the LPK gives me problems down the line, then I will look at other options. The RRA upper is perfectly fine as well. I am a firm believer that it matters more about what you put in it than who it's made by. I bought a long time ago an American Spirit Arms AR when everyone said they were crap and would break. I never had one malfunction in the 10 years I owned it. With the upper, if it gives me trouble, well, you know. As far as the BCG, I will have to look into it. Thank you everyone for your input. I should have the stuff Wed. so I'll post up when it comes in.

GeorgiaBoy
08-29-10, 19:55
Go with BCM; better quality at a competitive price. Why buy a DD BCG when the BCM BCG is $10 cheaper(and we all know Paul is a great guy)?

I've seen this several times lately, or you may be the same guy who said it the first time I saw it.

I have nothing against BCM, they are a fantastic company that makes fantastic parts. So is Daniel Defense, they make outstanding quality parts as well. I don't understand why, for a $10 cheaper price, you seem to make it out that BCM is making a "better" BCG than DD, when they both use the same quality control tests, same specs, and both stake the gas key properly? :rolleyes:

08-30-10, 08:03
GB-The post reads with me stating BCM is better as referring to the upper. Also, if the two BCG's are of equal quality as you claim, why spend $10 more dollars? You show your ignorance when you state they both use the same QC and specs. Really? How can that be since only Colt has the TDP? Do both companies have the same exact people doing the QC? QC is NOT the same b/w companies. One reason why RRA is not Tier One; among others. Go somewhere else to pick a fight and read/learn before you post.

500grains
08-30-10, 11:13
Also, I would plan on some PMAGs.

GeorgiaBoy
08-30-10, 19:51
GB-The post reads with me stating BCM is better as referring to the upper. Also, if the two BCG's are of equal quality as you claim, why spend $10 more dollars? You show your ignorance when you state they both use the same QC and specs. Really? How can that be since only Colt has the TDP? Do both companies have the same exact people doing the QC? QC is NOT the same b/w companies. One reason why RRA is not Tier One; among others. Go somewhere else to pick a fight and read/learn before you post.

Personal attack! :eek:

First, check the way your original post was written. Whether you were talking about the Upper or BCG is very unclear. Both ways would have been gramatcially correct. (whether you were referring to the upper or the BCG in the "go with BCM" line) Plus, since you recommended the BCM BCG over the DD in the very next line, it made sense that you were referring to the quality of the BCG, not the upper.

Nope, you are right on one thing, I DON'T know if they use the EXACT same quality metal, specs, and tests. What what dictates "quality" and the "tiering" of AR's in the first place? The chart, and the quality shown that mfgs. use in the chart. Both DD and BCM both do the same testing on their bolts (MPI, HPT, Shot-peening, ect). So, it makes sense to say that they use the "same quality" testing and QCM, in general. Both probably slip on on occasion.

Sorry to get your feathers ruffled bud. :lol:

08-30-10, 20:11
No feathers ruffled. I applaud you in the way you answered me. Way too many people get bent out of shape over these chats. I knew you were OK since I married a GA peach. Met at the Univ. of Tennessee. The Dawgs will probably get us this year, though. Just beat FL, please.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. RRA isn't Tier 1, to me, since reports of issues with it are more widespread than Colt, DD, BCM, KA, or LaRue. That's my personal criteria. Also, batch testing is not the same as individual like Colt. This is an issue. QC comes into play when Colt rejects(of LPK's, etc.) are considered GTG by others. Just my .02.

86K5
08-30-10, 21:15
Now that that is cleared up, :D, I do plan on getting some Pmags soon but these couldn't be beat for the price. Oooo, Santa should be here soon!!!!

jeepnut83
08-31-10, 13:14
it looks like your building a great Ar, the only thing I would think you need is some magpul followers for your gi mags I replaced all of my gi mags with them and they work 200% better, but good job and it's looking good

ForTehNguyen
08-31-10, 13:57
going good so far. I would also recommend changing the mag followers to magpul anti tilts. They greatly increase the reliability of the magazine.

RogerinTPA
08-31-10, 16:38

They may have the original copy, but there are enough copies floating around that most AR manufacturer should have one. Whether or not they use them to build a quality AR or to cut corners, is debatable. The "chart" is rated left to right, on which manufacturers build their M-4 platform closes to the TDP.

LCoan
08-31-10, 16:55
Very nice. Magpul is a great company. Awesome build, Did you say free-floater? Anyways, i would keep on going. And going. And goin-Shot-

08-31-10, 17:03
Roger- I see where you're coming from and agree. We do know that Colt and several others do build quality(thanks in part to the TDP; and yes even it can be improved upon) and that several other manufacturers build to a lesser standard. Even a POS like Model 1 is fine to shoot dirt.

RogerinTPA
08-31-10, 17:27
going good so far. I would also recommend changing the mag followers to magpul anti tilts. They greatly increase the reliability of the magazine.

Agreed. That's what I've done with all of my Aluminum USGI type mags.

86K5
08-31-10, 20:32
Magpul followers and floor plates are to be following and I am going to pick up the DD Omega rail when I can afford it. But that is where I will stop.........

With this upper!:o

Grumpy MSG
09-03-10, 12:05
I usually purchase the barrel and bolt at the same time, so that their headspace is checked. Since you are purchasing your bolt and barrel in two different purchases, that means you should get the headspace checked by a competent gunsmith. 99.5% of the time they will pass headspace with the new parts, but do you want to be the 1 in 200 that has a problem?

As for the Magazines I third or fourth or fifth the statement on GI magazines benefiting from replacing the followers and if there is rust on the springs, clean it off, if there is pitting replace the spring too. At a minimum make sure they have the Foliage Green followers, not the black followers. The Army has just come out with new magazines with tan followers that are Magpul or Magpul knockoffs...

As for putting the rail system on it, if you aren't going to hang anything off of the rails, the only benifit you are going to get is a free floating handguard.

86K5
09-04-10, 08:24
So everything came in. :D I have a question though. Since I am running an A2 stock, do I run the rifle buffer or the H buffer? I assume I still want the H buffer but I want to make sure. Also, I mocked it up and though it's nothing special, it makes me smile....

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_5081.jpg

I just need to get the barrel wrench/multi tool, spend $250 more for the buffer parts, BCG and the rear sight and I should be ready to start changing things up.

Mike Miller
09-04-10, 09:17
The A2 stock uses a rifle length extension, so use the rifle buffer

michael word
09-04-10, 15:16
That is a good looking rifle there, looks like mine. I don't tink you will have any issues with the standard RR LPK. The only issues I have heard is with their 2-stage trigger. After a while they wear out and start to stick giving you a long mushy trigger pull. With an A2 stock you can only run the rifle buffer. If you run the carbine buffer or any of the H buffers, the BCG will travel too far to the rear, over compressing the spring and possibly injuring the lower receiver.

86K5
09-04-10, 16:23
Gotcha, thanks for the info.

Grumpy MSG
09-07-10, 12:39
The easiest way to answer the question on buffer length is with a picture. attached is a picture of a collapsable stock buffer tube and a fixed stock rifle. You can see the buffer tube is much shorter. If you look at the fixed stock you will see a red rectangle near the buttplate that is where there is a spacer that was added when the M16A2 got a longer buttstock than the M16A1, the buffer tube remained the same. Hopefully you can see by the picture that I laid bolt carriers in front of the buffers to show how far it went into the buffer tube during cycling. Hopefully this picture will show why the buffer length is selected according to the buffer tube not the length of barrel.

Bobert0989
09-07-10, 13:13
That is a good looking rifle there, looks like mine. I don't tink you will have any issues with the standard RR LPK. The only issues I have heard is with their 2-stage trigger. After a while they wear out and start to stick giving you a long mushy trigger pull...

I've got 1,200 rounds or so on my 2-stage NM RRA trigger, no issues yet. I have also heard reports of this issue, I just wanted to throw a figure in for the OP so he doesn't worry about having a "bad" trigger. It should last quite a while for him. Seems most of those problems occur at a much higher round count, and more commonly in competition/training rifles where they are used much more frequently.

Just adding a bit. Looks like a nice build. A nice, yet inexpensive, alternative to those M4 HG's would be a set of MOE's from Magpul. just a suggestion if you don't want it wearing those until the DD comes in.

The only thing I would personally change is the BUIS, but that's a personal preference. I just like the Troy's better than the Magpul's. Not saying they're bad parts, I just like the Troy's a little better.

Good luck! Post some finished pics!

~Bobby

86K5
09-12-10, 09:34
OK. So I am utterly amazed at how easy it was to assemble the upper. I was worried that i would screw it up somehow but it went together in a few minutes once I bought the multi wrench. I did have a problem at first with my barrel block when I went to install the flash hider. The block I had was old and I don't know who made it but it pretty much broke apart when I started wrenching on the flash hider. So, being anxious to finish, I set the rifle on my bed with a mag in it and had my wife place her hands on the upper and on the stock to brace it. I was able to tighten it up another 90 deg to index it. I will post some completed pics tonight. I also like the fact that the DD barrel had the front sight loosely pinned which made it easy to take off and re-install. Building is the only way to go in my opinion.

Spurholder
09-12-10, 09:48
PMAG's, PMAG's and more PMAG's...did someone already mention ammo??

:ducks behind computer screen: :D

86K5
09-13-10, 15:24
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_5091.jpg
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/100_5095.jpg

86K5
10-03-10, 12:28
Took the AR out today for a function test after I thought I had a problem with a BCG that was sticking. I found I was worried for nothing. Gun functioned perfectly. Now I just need a lot more ammo..... Wife is not gonna be happy :sarcastic:

Surf
10-03-10, 13:24
Nice job for a first build!

IMO, the biggest deal is the barrel, the trigger and the bolt carrier group. Of course there are other concerns but if you are going with a decent maker for parts and the upper and lower receivers, you will more than likely be just fine.

LCoan
10-09-10, 07:01
No Rear Sight? How do you aim?!:secret:

Iraqgunz
10-09-10, 07:18
I was curious about that as well.

No Rear Sight? How do you aim?!:secret:

Surf
10-09-10, 12:11
Meh, sights are over rated. :p

I am guessing that you only did a check for function and do at least plan on putting on a set of rears before burning up more ammo. ;)

86K5
10-09-10, 12:58
Yes, It was just a function check but now I have a MBUIS on it now and am about to pull the trigger on an Aimpoint Micro T-1.

LCoan
10-09-10, 14:33
How is the MBUIS? All i've used is just the carrying handle, which is pretty good nonetheless.

86K5
10-09-10, 16:13
No rounds through it since I just put it on as I was posting the above but as far as first impressions, it is sturdy and tight fitting. I don't foresee any issues but I will keep everyone apprised. I tend to be hard on shtuff...

Iraqgunz
10-09-10, 16:18
BTW- I'm in Goodyear.

No rounds through it since I just put it on as I was posting the above but as far as first impressions, it is sturdy and tight fitting. I don't foresee any issues but I will keep everyone apprised. I tend to be hard on shtuff...

86K5
10-11-10, 20:38
BTW- I'm in Goodyear.

Just a stones throw away.

So I took it out today to sight it in. I placed the sight one notch forward from the back as to allow my fat fingers to grab the charging handle easier. I had no camera at the time but I was able to keep 28 of the 30 rounds, once sighted in, in a 1 3/4" group at 50 yards. I feel the rifle can do better but it is limited by me. I was prone with the rifle resting on the mag. Next up is off hand and fine tuning.

Jorge44
10-12-10, 00:10
Just a stones throw away.

So I took it out today to sight it in. I placed the sight one notch forward from the back as to allow my fat fingers to grab the charging handle easier. I had no camera at the time but I was able to keep 28 of the 30 rounds, once sighted in, in a 1 3/4" group at 50 yards. I feel the rifle can do better but it is limited by me. I was prone with the rifle resting on the mag. Next up is off hand and fine tuning.

Easy fix. BCM gunfighter charging handle.

Bobert0989
10-12-10, 03:17
Easy fix. BCM gunfighter charging handle.

+1 for the Gas Buster Big Latch!

jetspeed8
10-12-10, 04:48
Sounds like a pretty nice setup you have there.