PDA

View Full Version : Which weapon light for 100 yards

sjc3081
08-29-10, 06:35
I'm looking for light to mount on my M-4 with a carbine length gas system. I was thinking about either a Surefire 500 or a 900 series. Any advise. I want to be a able to I'd targets at 100 yards. I already have a 6P led for closer applications.

sixgun-symphony
03-04-11, 22:50
IMO a weapon mounted light is great for clearing rooms. But a weapon light used outdoors will draw fire.

Birddog1911
03-08-11, 09:11
What he said.

Now, if you're talking about using it for coyotes or pigs, that's different. My Surefire with Malkoff will give me mostly usable light at 100 yds, but they could still be a little tough to see.

I've been interested in the Primary Arms light for a coyote light. May be a bright son of a gun, and reasonably priced. Marshall himself says that this is not a combat light, though.
http://www.primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=40&categoryId=238

sjc3081
03-08-11, 13:14
Yes it will used for night hunting. Thanks for the advise.

TehLlama
03-08-11, 23:26
Anything bumping over 120 Lumens (any top notch SureFire system) will work out to that range for ID, though at twice that you're still producing daylight at closer ranges, and a really good spot at 100. A larger reflector can improve throw, so the larger heads can really do more. For hunting, 200+ would be worth the tradeoff weight for coyotes or hogs.

kmrtnsn
03-09-11, 01:04
Night hunting? Where is that legal?

toasterlocker
03-09-11, 03:04
You want something with a deep reflector for optimum throw. Lumen numbers matter less than the reflector itself. While Surefire makes a fine product, they are FAR from the best in this area.

A Dereelight DBS, Lumapower MRV are the first things that come to mind when I want a light with lots of throw that is still small enough to be mounted on a carbine. There are also other lights which throw just as well or better, but most of them are bigger and I'm not sure if their bodies will work with standard mounts as well as the Dereelight or Lumapower.

I know I'm going to get flak for suggesting anything is better than Surefire on a forum where most of the users don't have much experience with other brands, but these companies make a top notch products which outperform Surefires, at a lower price, and have American distributors with great customer service.

bkb0000
03-09-11, 03:32
Night hunting? Where is that legal?

pests are generally hunted at night... yote, pig, coon, etc.

whorable
03-09-11, 05:40
I have a TLR-1 and I went out on a foggy night, went back inside and grabbed my tlr-1 to check the range, easily 80meters in darkness.

BaileyMoto
03-09-11, 06:06
Not a "weapon light", but it performs awesome for it's size. I have a few lights, including that new 200 lumen surefire 6px, and this thing blows most anything away in said size format. I also have a surefire 6p with a nailbender drop in, same story. Check out the Fenix line of lights, they may interest you. Not sure if I can claim the ruggedness of a surefire, but they have a great track record and mine hasn't failed me.

http://www.mk12.net/bailey/sticks/lmttk15.jpg

sonrider657
03-09-11, 09:26
If you want to compare the beams of various flashlights, check out this website: http://fonarevka.ru/indexen.html

kmrtnsn
03-09-11, 09:56
pests are generally hunted at night... yote, pig, coon, etc.

Gotcha, the first thing that popped into my head was some tool jacklighting a dear or pig with his AR with a 30rd P-Mag in it.

sjc3081
03-09-11, 13:43
I bait Coyote's with vension roadkill. I cant even walk my Boston Terrier without carrying in my own yard.

John Hearne
03-09-11, 21:55
The older "Turbo" heads from Surefire were great for distance. I used a M500AB for several years and was very happy with it. (That's the 9 volt with turbo head, not the 18 volt)

toasterlocker
03-10-11, 05:10
Not sure if I can claim the ruggedness of a surefire, but they have a great track record and mine hasn't failed me.

Plenty rugged, especially the TK series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WvhJWE3_Oc