PDA

View Full Version : Open carry in the Ocala National Forrest?

hippieslayer
08-29-10, 08:12
It's my understanding that open carry and discharging of a firearm are legal in national forests. Am I correct? I'd like to go hiking/camping for a few days up there with some friends but it's my understanding theres a decent ammount of meth labs that have been found in the forest up there. I was going to bring the AR with me to carry on hikes but wanted to check the legality of it first.

sadmin
08-29-10, 08:47
according to F.S. 790.25, I believe you can. Better check on that, especially your choice of firearm, im not a FL resident; I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night however.

hippieslayer
08-29-10, 09:10
I reckon I can always call the ranger office down there. I'm not sure If I'll get a completely straight answer from them, however.

hippieslayer
08-29-10, 12:40
It's also my understanding that one is allowed to open carry while fishing as well. I'm interested in this as I do a lot of salt water shore fishing and theres some really colorful characters I run into around my fishing spots.

jwperry
08-29-10, 13:39
It's also my understanding that one is allowed to open carry while fishing as well. I'm interested in this as I do a lot of salt water shore fishing and theres some really colorful characters I run into around my fishing spots.

Yes, open carry while fishing is perfectly legal under Florida law. You will want to print off a copy of the statute though, because most local law enforcement don't know that. The Fish and Wildlife officers will give you nothing more than a friendly wave(in my experience) unless you are drinking.

As far as carrying a slung rifle while in the Ocala National Forest, you might be able to get away with it depending where you are at. There is a range up there, so I figure you could do it near the range, but I personally wouldn't do it hiking out in the woods. Concealed carry is now legal, with permit, so that is what I'd be doing. If I felt the need for a rifle too, I'd simply break my AR in half and stick it in my backpack.

Hope that helps.

hippieslayer
08-29-10, 14:01
As far as I know, you are allowed to OC in a National Forrest. Parts of the Ocala National forrest are a wild life management area so you arent allowed to around there, but everywhere it's a national forrest only, one should be allowed to.

Thats cool about fishing, Ill run off a copy of the statute and laminate it for next time that I go fishin.

Von Rheydt
08-29-10, 14:41
Small suggestion if I may. Write to the people responsible for Law Enforcement in the Forest. Then when they write back keep the letter, make a copy and laminate that also. You can't get better than that.

I was told on my CCW course that if entering Fed property I had to leave my weapon outside. Is OCNF Federal or are forests dealt with differently?

jwperry
08-29-10, 16:47
I was told on my CCW course that if entering Fed property I had to leave my weapon outside. Is OCNF Federal or are forests dealt with differently?

National Forests should be dealt with differently now, see Q/A #6.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/FAQ.pdf

HES
08-29-10, 17:40
In Florida, OC while fishing is ok. OC while camping is OK/

Shooter514
09-18-10, 09:22
from my experience it can b real tricky when and where you can oc ... some camp sites state no firearms.. hunting season your only allowed to have rifles under hunting rules... it needs to be clear but it is not... call the forest ranger office in the area and they can tell ya where and what you can getaway with.... i just stay away from every thing on there map and do as i please...:ph34r:

cujet
09-20-10, 19:27
I have seen black bear in the Ocala National Forest. So, I think it would be a good idea to carry. An attacking mama would be much tougher than you.