PDA

View Full Version : Pocket sized 380

TXBSAFH
08-29-10, 14:44
I am considering getting a small pocket sized 380, Ruger, Keltec or the like. I want a little pistol I can just slip in my pocket for concealed carry, keep in mind in TX it get warms so tshirts and shorts are the norm. Your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

epete
08-29-10, 14:58
I have a Kel Tec and a Colt Mustang, both are chambered in 380. Neither one has proved to be reliable. IME, pocket autos tend to be finicky.

For pocket carry I went with a J-frame. It may be a little larger than the Kel Tec or Ruger, but I'm confident that it will function when needed

Tennvol12345
08-29-10, 15:17
I have a Gen1 P3AT that I have about 750 rounds through. When I bought it I had heard reports that people were having problems with every model except the chromed slide. I managed to track one down and bought it, haven't had any problems at all.

I also have a SW642 (pre-lock) and a PM9. I typically don't carry the .380 except for when I'm mountain biking. The PM9 is a great gun but is slower to draw from the pocket than the 642. Since the 642 is rounded at the back it just pops right out where the PM9 requires a bit more work. FWIW FIST pocket holsters are great.

Palmguy
08-29-10, 15:22
I am considering getting a small pocket sized 380, Ruger, Keltec or the like. I want a little pistol I can just slip in my pocket for concealed carry, keep in mind in TX it get warms so tshirts and shorts are the norm. Your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks.

Florida gets warm too...I'm wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt right now along with a Glock 26 carried AIWB.

Just some food for thought...it's worth mentioning that bigger guns can be concealed in hot weather.

Hmac
08-29-10, 15:56
I have a Kel Tec and a Colt Mustang, both are chambered in 380. Neither one has proved to be reliable. IME, pocket autos tend to be finicky.

I had a KelTec. Even after the mandatory "buff and fluff" it was highly unreliable in feeding. OTOH, I also have a Colt Mustang (NiteLite) and Government Model, and in all those years I don't think either has had so much as a hiccup. Mostly, in hot weather I carry a 9mm PPS.

http://mccollister.info/ccwpistolsw.jpg

MechEng
08-29-10, 16:18

For pocket carry I went with a J-frame. It may be a little larger than the Kel Tec or Ruger, but I'm confident that it will function when needed

I've never had any luck with little 380 pocket guns. Recently I bought a Ruger LCP hoping that would change but it has reliability issues as well. I keep going back to a J-frame for pocket carry.

Fire_Medic
08-29-10, 16:53
I have a Ruger LCP I recently came across and it fits the pocket pistol/back-up gun role very well. I will still be getting a J frame in the near future but the LCP is a fantastic little pistol. I have had no issues with mine and it's very accurate for such a small gun.

Drew78
08-29-10, 18:56
Well I too have a LCP with a couple hundo rounds through it with zero stoppages/issues.

Its a tiny little bugger and I have the ctc laser on mine!

Drew

awm14hp
08-29-10, 19:08
I have P32 I have had for 5 years and many hundred rounds no issues ball or HP I shoot Euro ball out of it when I carry it also LCP testing both of these back up my G17 or 19. Love them both

platoonDaddy
08-29-10, 19:22
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT and love it, has BEEN very reliable with many hundred of rounds without an issue. Wish I could say that for my Gen 4 G17.

Shawn.L
08-29-10, 19:37
I just picked up a Sig P238. I dont have enough rounds on it to comment on relaibility yet (100 so far) but it has REAL SIGHTS, night sights even, and real controls you can actually run and a shootable trigger. So, thats a start.

Shorts and T-shirt do not preclude the use of a belt mounted holster, so long as you can wear a belt.

gunnut284
08-29-10, 19:48
I have a LCP which has run perfect through a couple hundred rounds and is surprisingly accurate. My Colt Mustang Pocketlite is reliable but I don't like SA for pocket carry. I had a KelTec P32 that worked great also. My Kahr PM9 runs great now (had early hiccups) and shoots very well for a small 9mm.

Hope the P238 works out for you, should be fine for a small IWB or OWB.

keysersoze
08-29-10, 19:58
I had both the P3AT and the LCP. Although some people may argue that the LCP ripped off the P3AT design, the LCP is better made, has a slide lock, and has a better finish than the P3AT. The LCP's frame feels more substantial than the P3AT's too. I both had the regular (blued?) slide models, and my P3AT was very prone to rust.

Both were reliable with JHP and FMJ...and both had extremely long triggers.

Hope this helps man, let us know what you end up buying!

RogerinTPA
08-29-10, 20:58
For me, I see no reason to step down to a less effective caliber. I have no issues concealing my M&P9c year around here in FL, even in T-Shirts, muscle shirts, shorts and sandles. If I were to change for a slimmer profile, it would be to the Walther PPS. It has been my observation that people won't research or spend a lot of coin for a good holster, which I think where the real issue is.

SmokeJumper
08-29-10, 22:43
I've got a Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace Laser attached as well. Not a bad little gun and I've had zero issues/problems/stoppages/malfunctions with mine. That being said, a look at the Kahr P380 may be worth the time. The slide will lock back on the Kahr with an empty mag, the LCP does not. My preferred and carried pocket gun is the S&W 442 though. Less rounds but a bit more stopping power, the Kahr PM9 is another great alternative as well.

l8apex
08-29-10, 22:54
Kahr PM 9/380.

shooter521
08-29-10, 22:59
FWIW, I've been very impressed with my Kahr P380. Was able to run about 550 rounds through it without cleaning, before it started to get sluggish. Cleaned it, and have since put another 100+ through it without incident.

My review(s) and pics:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52128

Coperator
08-29-10, 23:10
I used to carry a Keltec. But every trip to the range there seemed to be some sort of issue. After two trips to Keltec I ditched it for a J frame.

Buckaroo
08-30-10, 07:10
I had two P3ats and both were reliable.

I decided that the .380 was not enough cartridge for me to be confident of its stopping power.

I sold them to buy a Kahr PM9 that I carry when I need a deep concealment gun and in the waistband of my jammies.

Most of the time I carry an M&P compact .40.

Buckaroo

SERT103
08-30-10, 09:04
I have owned both a Kel-tec P3AT and now an LCP. Both were and have been nothing but 100%, but I do prefer the LCP. A little more refined. Its not the gun I would take to a gun fight, but its the one I will use to get out of one.

maximus83
08-30-10, 10:14
Tried the Ruger LCP .380, and it had to go back to the factory twice (once was for the recall on the FCS). Although mine was reliable enough after the recall + the "new release teething issues", I had 3 major problems with it:

1. Never could get comfortable shooting that tiny thing, just couldn't get a solid grip and a good way to position my finger on the trigger.

2. Don't like the ballistics of .380. See DocGKR's post on .380 in the ballistics forum. The more I researched it, decided that 9mm for me was going to be the minimum.

3. Don't like the logistics of .380 ammo. It's nearly always expensive and hard to find, so it's a pain to get in much practice with it.

Suggestion: Find a reliable compact 9mm. Glock 26, S&W M&P 9c, or even a Kahr PM9.

underload
08-30-10, 10:51
For a post like this you have to ask yourself what kind of budget are you on. Just going to your local gun shop you can quickly see price will range from $250-800 for 380 Auto in small size you are looking for.

BillSWPA
08-30-10, 13:53
My favorite tiny .380 is my North American Arms Guardian.

If you just get the basic gun, you get a gun that is designed to be carried a lot and shot a lot. There have been documented cases of these guns going over 10,000 rounds without issues. The gun is significantly heavier than a Kel-Tec P3AT or Ruger LCP, and the trigger is heavier. However, having spent some time with a P3AT at the range recently, I have more confidence that the NAA gun won't stop working at the wrong time.

My gun has Novak tritium sights installed by NAA's custom shop. Although tritium does not last as long on a tiny .380 as it does on larger guns, it provides far better sights than are available with the P3AT or LCP. A Crimson Trace lasergrip is available as well.

My gun also has had trigger work performed by a gunsmith who used to be popular on the NAA discussion board years ago. The trigger pull was lightened considerably without cutting springs, but I am now limited to Winchester ammo, or ammo with a similarly sensitive primer, for 100% ignition reliability. If I do get a misfire, a second pull of the trigger will invariably solve the problem, unlike the P3AT or LCP.

The P3AT has more comfortable recoil, but the NAA gun remains solidly in my hand shot to shot, without shifting position.

I like my P3AT as well, but have had some light strike issues with this gun, which I am currently working to resolve. Like most Kel-Tec products, it runs better with recoil springs 2 lb. heavier than factory standard, or 13 lb. instead of 11 lb. After a good experience with a P-32 (for which replacing the 9 lb. recoil springs with 11 lb. springs is absolutely mandatory), I was a bit disappointed. Two friends have P3AT's with no issues.

I have found that, with the P-32 and P3AT, the area between the hammer and firing pin must be cleaned about every 2 weeks to keep lint from building up there. Presumably the same would be necessary for the LCP. The NAA design prevents this problem.

DO NOT perform the fluff and buff recommended on some other forums for Kel-Tec pistols. I have been told by a Kel-Tec gunsmith that they see a lot of guns returned for warranty work after the gun left the factory in-spec, and was taken out of spec by this procedure.

Regarding the .380 v. J-frame v. tiny 9mm decision, a J-frame is no smaller than my Glock 26, although it can be lighter than either the NAA .380 or the G26. I have found size to be more important than weight in concealing the gun, which is why I choose the G26 when I can manage something that big, and the NAA when it absolutely, positively has to be very, very well hidden.

zephyr
08-30-10, 14:15
I had two LCP's and could never get them to run well after multiple (7 in total) returns to Ruger. I never felt comfortable enough with them to carry either one and they are both gone now. For me, the risk of carrying and LCP versus a tried and true Airweight J frame just didn't make sense.

SMOKEEATERFF
08-30-10, 15:25
I had a Kel Tec PF9 for about a week. Should have never traded my SIG 225 for it. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, the trigger was awful. I carry a Springer 1911 or a Glock 33. The Sig 238 looks pretty cool, may try it out when the funds are available. The Kahr PM9 is pretty sweet, small, not much bigger than a .380 but with more power.

AMC29
11-12-10, 16:38
I have a Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace laser on it. I'm not a huge laser fan, but it's almost a necessity with the tiny sights. Using the laser I can hit out to 25 yards without a problem. I use Hornady Critical Defense rounds.

The gun and laser fit in an Uncle Mike's size 10 inside the pant holster perfectly. It's so light, I can carry it with tied gym shorts and a t-shirt in the summertime! It also fits well in a jean pocket.

It's the perfect gun for when "my attire shouldn't let me carry a gun".

payj
11-12-10, 17:00
I like the LCP seems to be very reliable and with the laser is even easier to use...

Suwannee Tim
11-12-10, 21:07
I had a Colt Mustang that would not run dry. It took about four days to dry out in my pocket. Then it was a single shot. I carry a 38. It works every time.

skyugo
11-13-10, 01:53
G26 in a high noon mr softy is about as concealable and comfortable as i can imagine.
10 rounds of 9mm +P with real sights and the same trigger as your G17 is nice too.