PDA

View Full Version : Removal: Warren tactical front sight

JimmyB62
08-29-10, 19:31
After installing a tritium Warren Tactical front sight on my Glock 19 I've found I need a taller one. I used red Loctite which I know is going to require heat to remove. I have a small propane torch but don't really know how much to heat it and if I can potentially affect the heat treatment of the slide.

I could remove the sight via destructive means (destructive to the sight) without heating the nut but i may want to reuse it on another gun.

Anybody remove one non-destructively after using red Loctite?

Thanks for any help.

Robb Jensen
08-29-10, 20:43
After installing a tritium Warren Tactical front sight on my Glock 19 I've found I need a taller one. I used red Loctite which I know is going to require heat to remove. I have a small propane torch but don't really know how much to heat it and if I can potentially affect the heat treatment of the slide.

I could remove the sight via destructive means (destructive to the sight) without heating the nut but i may want to reuse it on another gun.

Anybody remove one non-destructively after using red Loctite?

Thanks for any help.

Just use a cigarette lighter to heat the screw head for 3-4 seconds and then then unscrew it with a sight tool.

kaltblitz
08-30-10, 01:12
I've used a hair dryer in the past. Anthing that warms up the front sight will work.

JimmyB62
08-30-10, 10:18
Thanks for the help guys. I was under the obviously mistaken belief that a substantial amount of heat was necessary to break the bond. I'm glad I asked first.

littlejerry
08-30-10, 15:57
A soldering iron is an easy way to apply heat directly to the screw itself.