PDA

View Full Version : MkIII experts chime in

MookNW
08-29-10, 23:21
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat604793_TGP&id=0078914211170a&navCount=1&podId=0078914&parentId=cat604793&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true
I'm looking to get a mkIII and eventually install a tac-sol threaded upper. Anything I should be looking for in these guns. This seems like a pretty good entry price.

556A2
08-30-10, 00:23
Not an expert, but my wife's Ruger 6" Mark III Standard is a great handgun. I've had no issues with the LCI, its accurate, and its just plain fun to shoot. I would recommend buying a Volquartsen Mark II hammer bushing to deactivate the magazine safety.

Oh, and you will learn new cuss words when you take it apart the first time. Just take your time, watch Ruger's Mark III field-strip videos on Youtube, and don't force anything.

I do think the Cabela's exlucsive is a bit too expensive. I got the 6" Mark III Standard for $299. I don't think a pistol rug & spare magazine is worth the extra $60.

skyugo
08-30-10, 00:37
the MKII has less goofy safeties and stuff on it...
it's generally considered to be a better gun.
overall though the ruger MK is the best 22 pistol in that price range.

MookNW
08-30-10, 00:56
Thanks, I've noticed that the Cabelas model is a metal frame as opposed to some of the polymer offerings. I think I's like to get a metal frame. I'll have to go to a toy store and fondle the mk as well as th 22/45 to see what feels better. Unless I can find a used one, buds has em pretty dang cheap. Skyugo, I'd like to find a good mkII. As far as resale goes, is the bull barrel preferred?

NMBigfoot02
08-30-10, 13:18
I have a bull barrel MKIII and it recoils less than a BB gun. Great for new shooters. Disassembly can be a pain the first time, but be patient and it will come with time.

The biggest differences between the MKII and the MKIII are the placement of the magazine release and the magazine safety. The MK III also has a loaded indicator flag. All of these are more a matter of personal preference if the gun is only going to be used on the range.

You may try looking around various gunboards for a FTF in your area. I got mine that way for $175 with less than 200 rnds down the barrel.

Best of luck.

maximus83
08-30-10, 14:05
I'll have to go to a toy store and fondle the mk as well as th 22/45 to see what feels better. [...]

As far as resale goes, is the bull barrel preferred?

Yes, definitely check out the regular Mk III versus the 22/45. I tried both and much preferred the 22/45. A lot of folks who like 1911's, myself included, end up preferring the 22/45 due to the different grip angle.

On the bull barrel thing, it's definitely the case that the bull barreled models are most popular. Whether you really NEED the bull barrel is up for debate, and depends what you intend to use it for. Since I use mine almost entirely for target/range plinking and working on my trigger control and form (as opposed to hunting/field use), I have no need of a light .22, so I got the bull barrel and like it.

Forgot to add, one other suggestion: if you decided on a 22/45 format with a bull barrel, you should consider the new "RP" model (stands for "replaceable panels"). These are a standard 5" 22/45, but they differ from the others in that you can replace the panels with any standard 1911-type grip. That is sweet, and enables you to set up your 22/45 to feel a bit more like a 1911, for practice purposes, if that's something you want to do. And these models really aren't that expensive, I've seen prices right around $300 on Gunbroker.