PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a new G19

556A2
08-30-10, 01:59
I've been buying into the philsophy of m4carbine.net in that its better to stick to one firearm instead of a variety, and "Two Is One". So today I traded a couple of shotguns for another Gen 3 Glock 19. It has the factory plastic sights, so they need to go.

My carry G19 has a set of Glock Night Sights. I was thinking of a Warren Tactical Tritium Front Sight / Plain Rear Mix on this new G19.

My question is would it be better to just stick with GNS/Meprolights to keep everything the same training wise, or would it really not make a difference?

89hits
08-30-10, 03:56
i would say the single most important thing is TRAINING with the weapons you plan on using.Usefulness grows as you learn each better. When operation in a crisis is a non-thought, you are ready.Regardless of what you install on them.

Iraqgunz
08-30-10, 04:04
It's all a personnel thing. My G19 and G22 both have night sights, extended slide locks, Vickers mag release and a NY trigger with a 3.5# connector. That's the set up I like. Someone else may disagree.

I will say that nothing can take the place of training and getting to know your weapon.

QuickStrike
08-30-10, 04:31
I'd do it. But would choose the 3-lamp configuration to stay closer to my other glock's factory night-sights.

I have the 3-lamp warrens on my g26 and even though I shoot the g19 and g17 more (both with factory nightsights), the warren's front sight is still easier to pick up at speed for me.

pcf
08-30-10, 04:57
I prefer a front night sight and a plain rear sight. I find that it's a bit easier to shoot in low light with just a tritium front instead of trying to makes sense of three glowing dots.

The different sight setups won't make a significant difference.

rob_s
08-30-10, 04:57
Handgun sights are like holsters in that they are a pretty personal and varied choice and that there are fortunately many "right answers". Personally I prefer a front with some kind of tritium and a rear that is as plain as possible, but others have other configurations they prefer.

Ameriglo makes several sights that, thanks in part to some recent "celebrity" endorsements, are getting some renewed attention.

The good news is that Glock is no longer using the pressed-in front sights and instead is now screwing them in so at least they aren't falling out as often. The secondary issue of the odd alignment with the which u-notch rear and the fact that the dot front doesn't really center in the notch is something that can only be addressed by changing them out.

John_Wayne777
08-30-10, 05:55
As Rob mentioned, sights are intensely personal things and finding the setup that works best for you often requires some experimentation. Having a second handgun that is identical to your primary makes for a good test bed for figuring out what works best for you.

SWATcop556
08-30-10, 06:03
My preference for the Glock is the Warren plain rear with the tritium front. That's what has worked for me for several years. Ameriglo also has many options you can pick and choose from and they have excellent CS.

As has been said you just have to train and find what works for you. And FWIW I have had lukewarm results at best with Meprolight.

Ga Shooter
08-30-10, 08:05
As Rob mentioned, sights are intensely personal things and finding the setup that works best for you often requires some experimentation. Having a second handgun that is identical to your primary makes for a good test bed for figuring out what works best for you.

What they said. I like the Ameriglos myself and you can find alarge thread on them here.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=20370

I would personally use your secondary as an experimental weapon to try out different sights until you find out what you really like then I would make both of them identical.

M4arc
08-30-10, 08:17
The safe bet would be to purchase and install the 3-dot Warrens. That would be as close to your other Glock as you could get and then, eventually, transition your other Glock over as well. As time and funds allow.

I do like the other suggestion that you use your second Glock to experiment with a different sight combo. I don't think you can go wrong either way. One way might cost you a bit more money but could be worth it in the long run.

rob_s
08-30-10, 08:46
I do like the other suggestion that you use your second Glock to experiment with a different sight combo.

Before JW mentioned it I didn't even think of this, but I do the same thing both with the Glocks and my ARs. Having a "test bed" gun and a "go to" gun is a good way to make sure you always have at least one known good gun with known good parts & pieces that you know how to use (even if they are less than ideal).

556A2
08-30-10, 12:56
Thanks for all the replies.

I was thinking a tritium front / plain rear, or maybe a tritium 2 dot setup would be best for this new G19. 3 Dot setups are a little bit harder for me to pickup the front sight. My eyes want to focus on the rear sight more since its busier. I've always been a fan of the Beretta 92/M9 Dot & Post sights since it is much easier for me to pickup the front sight.

I think I may go with the Ameriglo I-DOT sights since its a 2-dot setup with a fairly large rear sight opening.

Grumbler
08-30-10, 14:14
Here are a couple of pics of mine.
Pretty happy with it.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc219/pirela5/glock005.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc219/pirela5/glock004.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc219/pirela5/glock002.jpg

Boss Hogg
08-30-10, 14:18
I was thinking of a Warren Tactical Tritium Front Sight / Plain Rear Mix on this new G19.

Two thumbs up on that combo- it's the perfect balance of speed and accuracy for me. I find one dot is faster than three. YMMV.

3.5# connector and the Vickers mag release for me also......and keep the stock slide release.

Seraph
08-30-10, 15:43
Whichever way you go with the sights, I think it would definitely be best if both pistols were setup the same way. I personally prefer a black rear sight, and a single dot up front. That's the way I have my Glock 19's setup. You should pick your favorite way, and do both the same.

jmlshooter
08-30-10, 15:55
The extended slide stop lever is an absolute must-have for me and makes the gun much more enjoyable.

I had someone talk me out of the extended magazine catch. He said he had problems with mags ejecting when he bumped up against something (car console, etc.).

I don't know about that, and after seeing the little Magpul Dynamics trick about using the reaction hand to roll the magazine catch into your thumb, I don't know that I would want it.

I really like blacked-out sights and bought the 10-8's from Larue. I probably wouldn't do that again. The front sight is a bad fit for the opening and came loose. They also came with a bit of rust on them.

ck1
08-30-10, 22:02
I agree with those who say same sights on both pistols, also agree with the fact that sights are a personal preference thing...
That said, I do have to say that the Warren's or really most any of the others mentioned are going to show you what you've been missing bigtime, I took a set of factory Mepro's off a Glock not too long ago and had to measure them just for ha-ha's, the front came in at freaking' .160"! (stupid wide for a front, just ridiculous) and the rear notch was real narrow too, only like .140" IIRC, they're bright, but that's about it... Think you'll find most guys around here running set-ups with the fronts in the .125" neighborhood with a rear notch around a .150" or so, world of difference like night and day actually.

Prepare to be psyched.

Beyond sights, Vickers mag release, stock slide release (avoid the extended aka the Devil's slide release unless you like premature lock-back or no lock-back on empty mags).

COLT6933
08-30-10, 23:24
The biggest improvement IMO on a stock 19 is to install a glock 17 trigger w/ trigger bar- Smooth trigger-

DocGKR
08-30-10, 23:35
3rd Gen G19's: Good sights (Warren or Ameriglo work well), Vickers mag catch, stipple the grip. Shoot it...a lot. If you like the set-up, then change your other G19 to match.

ck1
08-30-10, 23:38
The biggest improvement IMO on a stock 19 is to install a glock 17 trigger w/ trigger bar- Smooth trigger-

+1. Forgot 19's come with the cheese-grater trigger...

556A2
08-30-10, 23:38
Once again, thanks for all the replies.

I'm pretty much set on the Ameriglo I-DOT set. I will probably keep the Glock Night Sights on my carry G19. Not because they are better, but my wife got them for me for Christmas....... so they have to stay in order to keep the peace. :o

If I do prefer the I-DOT set, I'll just switch to this new G19 for my primary carry gun.

I'll also not really be adding anything else. I've tried about all the mods to the Glock, and the only mod I really like is the G17 trigger assembly. I personally don't like extended controls for a carry gun, and the stock trigger is pretty good. Never was a real fan of the NY1/3.5lb trigger.

Iraqgunz
08-31-10, 03:33
If you get a Vickers mag release and not the extended factory one you should have no problems. I have both of my Glocks set up this way and have never had an issue. I know many others here use it also.

The extended slide stop lever is an absolute must-have for me and makes the gun much more enjoyable.

I had someone talk me out of the extended magazine catch. He said he had problems with mags ejecting when he bumped up against something (car console, etc.).

I don't know about that, and after seeing the little Magpul Dynamics trick about using the reaction hand to roll the magazine catch into your thumb, I don't know that I would want it.

I really like blacked-out sights and bought the 10-8's from Larue. I probably wouldn't do that again. The front sight is a bad fit for the opening and came loose. They also came with a bit of rust on them.

ROCKET20_GINSU
08-31-10, 11:14
I like to try out different things so I would try different sights on your other glock. You've already got one of your pistols set up exactly how you like things currently, nothing wrong with trying different sights on your other to see which you like better. personally I find that I can't shoot 3 dots setups nearly as fast as tritium front/plain rear or 2 vertical tritium dot (figure 8) setups.

I prefer warren / sevigny carry sights. Though the Ameriglo hackathorn sights have got my attention and I may try them in the future.

GU

platoonDaddy
09-07-10, 15:12
What does the Vickers mag release do for you? Seems that many posters recommend.

Thanks

Vin Weasel
09-07-10, 15:22
The size of it is in between a stock glock and extended glock mag release. Some people feel that the glock extended sticks out too far. The Vickers also has smooth edges and is not sharp like the glock releases. I have one on my 19, I would recommend it.

Grumbler
09-07-10, 19:39
Slightly extended so you can get on it with gently rounded edges so it doesn't chew you up, or hang up on holster, concealment clothing, etc.

Mitchell, Esq.
09-07-10, 21:48
My question is would it be better to just stick with GNS/Meprolights to keep everything the same training wise, or would it really not make a difference?

I would try the different sights on the spare gun. You may want to use it as a test platform for new sights rather than mess with what works for your carry gun.

VA_Dinger
09-08-10, 10:02
Like others have stated this is very personal on how to set-up a gun but I prefer the following;

- Glock factory 3.5# connector

- Glock factory extended slide stop / release

- Tango Down / Vickers Tactical extended mag catch

- Grip Plug

- Glock factory smooth trigger on my G19’s that come stock with a serrated trigger

- Sights:

Hienie Ledge Straight Eight for night sights
Ameriglo Hackthorn sights for high-vis front / plain black rear
Ameriglo Defoor Tactical sights for plain black sights
Dawson Precision sights for adjustable

GermanSynergy
09-08-10, 10:48
Mine have the following:

Warren Straight 8's

Grip Plug

Extended Slide Stop Lever

LAV / TD mag release

3.5 LB OEM connector

Soxfan9
09-08-10, 17:54
What is the purpose of the 3.5lb connector?

JonInWA
09-10-10, 08:31
My personal G19 has the following:

-Trijicon nightsights: excellent lamps, very good day and night sight pictures);

-Glock extended slide stop/release;

-New smooth trigger triggerbar (with "dogleg" attachment point with channel for the coil trigger spring to further reduce spring fatigue potential, and slightly more rigid architecture);

-OEM battleship gray coil trigger spring;

-OEM 5 lb connector.

Best, Jon

bobdavis
09-10-10, 09:00
I've been thinking about adding a CT LG-619 to my G19.

I've never handled one with the laser on it though. I love the idea of a laser, but I've never used one except for pointing it at walls.

Is the laser on a glock a good thing? I've heard they're sub-optimal (esp. when compared to an M&P crimson trace solution, which is neigh on perfect from what I understand).

The G19 I carry is set up more or less as recommended here - would the crimson trace be a good add, or does it add too much bulk to the grip or ... what?

Can anyone offer up their experience?

thanks -

bob

tpd223
09-10-10, 10:42
What is the purpose of the 3.5lb connector?

Lightens the trigger pull weight, which for a carry gun I'd only use with the NY1 spring.

My idea of modifying a Glock 9mm is to get decent sights on it, then 500-1000 rounds through it, then load it up with +P Gold Dots.

Denny
09-10-10, 12:28
As a humble novice still after 22 years in the military and a short 13 years in law enforcement I have settled on the 19 as my daily gun. I have a 26 but it was too small and I always used 19 magazines in it. My setup is this
Stock 19
Tru Glo sights (fiber optic / night)
3.5 disconnector
Crimson Trace for G 19

I chose the Glock over a number of platforms because I can work on it. It relaible and durable. I can also use the 17 magazines or one of the 33 rounders. (Flexible).

The debate will continue for decades over the 9 vs 45 vs 40 va whatever. Training and accuracy will prevail.

New to this board great place

TheLefty
09-10-10, 12:34
-New smooth trigger triggerbar (with "dogleg" attachment point with channel for the coil trigger spring to further reduce spring fatigue potential, and slightly more rigid architecture);

If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick that up? I've ordered a couple of smooth triggers this year and always got the old-style trigger bar. I'd like to have a couple of the new design if I could ever find them.

mlk18
09-10-10, 16:46
I tend to set my Glocks up with Truglo TFO's, Aro-Tek extended slide lock lever and T.H.E. mag release lever. Never had a problem with any of those accessories on or off duty. I have had a number of people shoot my Glocks only to turn around and order the same control levers for their's.

et2041
09-10-10, 18:39
I have been using the same G19 since 1992. I believe that makes it a Gen 1. It has been my carry weapon for on and off duty the entire time. I still have a number of my original mags but have only had to replace the followers. The original Trijicons still glow fine, and she's looking a bit polished on the slide towards the muzzle (I guess that Tenifer will wear).

My department requires the NY trigger which I initially resented but now I'm accustomed to it just fine. We cannot put any mod's on our Glock with the exception of a Hogue rubber sleeve on the grip (for those of us with the older models).

Suffice it to say I have put a lot of rounds through her and I can only remember a couple of FTF which were follower issues. It has been a dependable 9mm and I would never consider buying any other 9mm on the market today (unless it is one of the new Glocks). As far as adding a personal "touch" to the Glock, I wouldn't mind the extended Mag release, but like I said they are verboten for duty carry.

bgoode
09-10-10, 19:48
My Main G19 is pretty simple really.

Warren Tactical Sights. Trit front and plain rear.

G17 smooth trigger.

Grip reduction and finger grips removed by Boresight Solutions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/2e8155aa.jpg

All but the last is easily achieved. I also have a 2nd Gen G19 as I have grown to only like the finger grooves on the smaller G26 size guns.

JonInWA
09-10-10, 21:21
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick that up? I've ordered a couple of smooth triggers this year and always got the old-style trigger bar. I'd like to have a couple of the new design if I could ever find them.

Your Glock District LEO Manager and/or Regional Commercial Sales Manager should have them.

Best, Jon

DocGKR
09-11-10, 02:45
VA_Dinger's comments above are almost exactly how the G19's I use are set-up:

Warren sights or Trijicon RMR, Glock OEM smooth G17 type trigger, Glock OEM 3.5 (-) connector, Glock OEM extended slide release, Tango Down-Vickers Tactical extended mag catch, grip plug, grip stippling.

TN-popo
09-11-10, 05:35
3rd Gen G19's: Good sights (Warren or Ameriglo work well), Vickers mag catch, stipple the grip. Shoot it...a lot. If you like the set-up, then change your other G19 to match.

Exactly how mine are setup, with the addition of a smooth G17 trigger.

Bolt_Overide
09-11-10, 10:13
I have several glocks, all 9mm or .45 caliber, I follow this setup with all of them.

Vickers mag release.
Factory extended slide stop.
Tritium front sight.
10-8 plain rear sight.
Remove the hump and finger grooves.
Stipple atleast the front and backstraps.
Drop in aluminum trigger and sear assembly from lonewolf.
Polish all fire control parts.
3.5 pound connector.

Shoot the shit out of it.

rushca01
09-11-10, 22:23
Where can one buy the smooth g17 trigger and the 3.5 disconnect? Does it matter that I am non LEO?

556A2
09-14-10, 20:32
UPDATED

The Bad News:
Well I kind of finished setting up my backup G19...... since my mother stole it from me. Well actually she really liked shooting it at the range over her Beretta 92. So I gave her my backup G19, and took her 92.

The Good News:
I found a local guy wanting a Beretta 92. So we decided to do some horse-trading. He had a E-Series G19, but I really didn't want to have to deal with the frame possibly being replaced. He also had a Gen4 G17, so we agreed to meet for the trade (even though I'm still iffy on Gen4 G17s).

Well he didn't have a Gen4 G17..... he had my new favorite Glock.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/Avtomat/IMG_0053.jpg

A Gen3 G17 RTF2 with the Gills.

Lightly used 2009 Production Blue Label with 3 mags & GNS.

Honestly, I haven't even shot it yet & I love it. The texture is just right, it points more natural than my G19, and I like the gill serrations. Plus since the wife has a G34 now, I can just stock up on G17 magazines.

I'll just wait, and get a backup G19 RTF2 with my GSSF Discount for my backup carry G19.

titsonritz
09-14-10, 21:13
If intended use is a fighting pistol, IMO, XS Big Dots and be done.

If it's for gaming do whatever floats your boat.

556A2
09-14-10, 21:38
If intended use is a fighting pistol, IMO, XS Big Dots and be done.

If it's for gaming do whatever floats your boat.

Its going to be a HD gun mostly since the wife's HD gun is a G34.

I'm just going to stick with the GNS since that is what is on my carry G19. Plus I'll probably end up putting a Streamlight TLR-1 on it eventually.

Redneck19
09-15-10, 15:39
So the consensus seems to be: plain rear and one dot front.
Does anyone use serrated front sight? I'm having difficulty understanding the advantages of this.
Is it better to get the front sight in .215 or .245?

Has anyone had experience with aftermarket recoil springs?

JHC
10-10-10, 17:44
So the consensus seems to be: plain rear and one dot front.
Does anyone use serrated front sight? I'm having difficulty understanding the advantages of this.
Is it better to get the front sight in .215 or .245?

Has anyone had experience with aftermarket recoil springs?

In my experience, the .245 tall Warren front sights create a perfect POA=POI on a G17 but caused POI to be below POA in a G19. FWIW.

MadcapMagician
10-11-10, 09:02
In my experience, the .245 tall Warren front sights create a perfect POA=POI on a G17 but caused POI to be below POA in a G19. FWIW.

On my various Glocks and those of customers, it's really a crap shoot. I've got a 34 that needs the .215 for POA=POI at 25yds while the other requires the tall sight. For 17s and 19s it seems the .245 is required for about 3/4 of Glocks to have a POA=POI. My daily carry 19 of the last 3 years needed a .215. I have a spare front sight of each to try when I get a new one.

When I had Scott Warren down for a private class last year he said the shorter sight was for a 6 o'clock hold while the .245 was for a dead on hold. As with everything, YMMV. When you order your sights, most will just send the .215 height sight. With some dealers you have to ask for the .245 but they will usually have it. I usually get them from MLE Shooting Sports and you just include the sight height desired in the comments section.

My standard package for all 9mm Glocks:
-Warren Tactical Sights, Tritium front and plain rear
-Factory Extended Slide Release
-Factory G17 Trigger Bar (there is a new one for 3rd gen guns that gives a little more crisp trigger. It is not the 4th gen bar. I found out at the annual GSSF shoot and had it installed in a gun. Really took the last bit of a mushiness out of the trigger on that gun.) 4th gen guns it's just the 4th gen 17 trigger.
-Factory Minus Connector
-Vickers mag release or Factory Extended with broken edges for competition guns. 4th gens just leave as is.
-500rds of ammo

These items have come out of many thousands upon thousands of rounds out of Glocks. While an out of box gun is perfectly fine as is, the convenience or slight changes these parts bring are MY preference. I can perform reloads faster and easier with either hand using the extended slide release and mag release, the smooth trigger makes repeated 500+ rd days easier on the trigger finger, and 500 rounds helps to ensure the gun runs with no inherent fleas due to shoddy worksmanship or bad parts. The sight selection is a personal one, but I believe in the design and concepts behind it. Having a plain rear with front tritium ensures the front sight stands out as much as possible regardless of the light conditions. The U notch is fast in sight acquisition and alignment. Scallops on the side of the rear allow for a greater view of the threat area without losing th functionality of the rear sight. For any of the Warrens, the rear is a flat gray without serrations, while the front is black and serrated to further aid in the front sight fous. Hope this helps.

JHC
10-11-10, 10:53
-Factory G17 Trigger Bar (there is a new one for 3rd gen guns that gives a little more crisp trigger. It is not the 4th gen bar. I found out at the annual GSSF shoot and had it installed in a gun. Really took the last bit of a mushiness out of the trigger on that gun.) .

Great info there, thanks. Re this new trigger bar on 3rd gen guns, might a brand new G21 SF RTF share some of that goodness? The one I picked up Sat has the nicest stock 5.5 trigger I've ever come across.

I haven't stripped it yet to see if it has the bump that the Gen 4's have (and G37's). Maybe that's all it is.

denn1911
10-11-10, 17:20
My Glocks are set up with the same sight set: Dawson Precision Red F.O. Front with a Warren Tactical Black Rear. A 3.5 connector is in each of them.

Redneck19
03-22-11, 12:40
Not content to leave well enough alone, I pose this question:

What do ya'll think about frame stippling ?
I've been eying this site: http://hatfieldsgunsmithing.com/Custom_Glocks.html

I especially like the idea of the cutaway on the trigger guard.

What do you guys think about that?

I've read somewhere else on this forum that: "The general consensus on glock 9mm's... is put the sights you like on it, get a good holster and belt, and spend the rest of your money on ammo and training."

My current list of future upgrades stands at:

-Warren Tactical Sights, .215, some combination of tritium
-3.5 lb connector
-Vickers mag release

jamaicanj
03-22-11, 14:32
I have sevigny carry sights with tritium on my G19 and I love the setup with green up front and a single dim yellow bar on the rear.