PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590A1

Slater
08-30-10, 08:46
As far as I'm aware, Mossberg is the only shotgun manufacturer that produces a tactical shotgun with a heavy-walled barrel (the 590A1). I read somewhere that the heavy barrel stemmed from some sort of Navy request. Any truth to that or just Interweb BS?

ryanm
08-30-10, 09:15
I believe that is accurate, the barrel shrouds/heat guards will not mount to the 590A1s because of the thicker barrels. Not sure if it was a Navy requirement as much as it was a general durability issue. It is definitely thicker as compared to my 500s. The internals are beefed up as well.

They are a very nice pump shotgun.

m24shooter
08-30-10, 12:23
After the 590 came out the Navy/Marine Corps requested the heavy wall barrel to counter it getting dinged up in an all steel environment as onboard a ship.
The metal safety and trigger guard were also requests. The three upgrades were incorporated into the 590A1, and are the only differences between the 590 and the 590A1 except that the factory A1 receivers are stamped "M590A1."
The internals are exactly the same between the 590 and the 590A1; they are not beefed up. Even the 500 has the same internal components as the 590 and 590A1. The exceptions are the finish.
There were some 500 .mil contract guns that had heavy walls and mag tube cleanouts like the 590 series, and I believe there was even a limited run of heatshields for the A1 from OFM. However, the only place currently producing an A1 heatshield is their LE/.mil service center in Colorado, Aimpro.
DMR has the total picture on the Mossberg production and variants, so maybe he'll post here.

THCDDM4
08-30-10, 12:25
Yeah the H-Bar was added due to Govt./Mil requirements. The 590 A1 is a fine tool, I love mine.

THCDDM4
08-30-10, 12:29
If you bend and play with the 590 heatshield you can get it to fit properly on the A1 (Not my first choice; but for those who bought one on accident, you can modify it to fit.). I know a few guys who did this when they accidentally bought the heat shields for 590's instead of A1's. They took plenty of time bending and reshaping and I couldn't see any MAJOR differences betweeh theirs and my 590 A1 heat shield. FYI.

ryanm
08-30-10, 12:50
I thought the FCG was also changed? I knew it had the metal safety and trigger guard but thought the rest of the small parts were also supposedly improved.

THCDDM4
08-30-10, 13:55
I thought the FCG was also changed? I knew it had the metal safety and trigger guard but thought the rest of the small parts were also supposedly improved.

FCG is the exact same. The H-Bar, Metal Safety and trigger gaurd are the only differences. I've wanted to see a steel receiver in the 590 line up for quite some time now. Not that the aluminum isn't strong as all hell (And I have yet to hear one problem stemming from the aluminum receiver); I just prefer steel...

DMR
08-30-10, 14:36
There are several variants of the Mossberg shotgun in the field. They were type classiffied in the late 70's and have been purchased under multiple contracting vehicles as well as being localy modified in the field.

The base M-500 is a matte blued version of the Mossberg SKU: 50411-9 –– Synthetic; includes Pistol Grip kit –– 18.5" –– Bead –– CYL –– 6 –– 12 –– Blue

You can also find with in the USMC and Navy a version of the 590A1 SKU: 51411-8 –– Synthetic –– 18.5" –– Bead –– CYL –– 6. The Navy/USMC guns can be found listed has having 17" or 20" barrels, but being an Army guy the civilian equal is the 51411-8.

Both the Army and USMC SKU's would be classified under the MIL Spec as being Type II shotguns. The 20" 590A1 shotgun's everyone believes to be "the" military shotguns are Type I shotguns, "with heat sheilds and baynet lugs". The MilSpec also calls for a Rifle sighted "Type III" version, but I have not been able to find an reliable list of them having been procured in large numbers.

There are somewhere between 23,000-30,000 Mossbergs in service depending on your source. FMS sales cut out of the contracts make it hard to determine the exact count without access to LIW or TACOM records. Of those appoximately 95% or more are of "Type 2" configuration. About 1,000 20 "Type 1" configured shotguns were in service off of a one time buy several years ago.

Recently a large command "over hauled" for lack of a better term 1,302 of their Mossberg shotguns. During the process they converted an odd assortment of everything from standard 500's, 20" 590A1's and even some plain 20" 500's into 14" Compacts with several other modifications. The base FCG was retained. These would properly be classified as "Type II" shotguns also.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4777946276_9348d98e3c.jpg

As for your original question I believe the actual requirement document requesting the change to the heavy barrel walls and metal FCG are lost in the dusts of time. The Mossberg shotgun does not have a PM which manages it or it's requirements. Therefore tracing the source would be difficult, but that is the generaly accepted basis of were the heavy barrel wall on metal trigger group came from. Banging things against bulk heads and all those other objects inside a ship can be hell on any piece of equipment.

My old unit has been banging 500's around since 2001 with no major issues. The configurations remain an issue, but hopefuly we will be able to fix that soon.;) Training, that's another story:(

THCDDM4
08-30-10, 14:42
There are several variants of the Mossberg shotgun in the field. They were type classiffied in the late 70's and have been purchased under multiple contracting vehicles as well as being localy modified in the field.

The base M-500 is a matte blued version of the Mossberg SKU: 50411-9 –– Synthetic; includes Pistol Grip kit –– 18.5" –– Bead –– CYL –– 6 –– 12 –– Blue

You can also find with in the USMC and Navy a version of the 590A1 SKU: 51411-8 –– Synthetic –– 18.5" –– Bead –– CYL –– 6. The Navy/USMC guns can be found listed has having 17" or 20" barrels, but being an Army guy the civilian equal is the 51411-8.

Both the Army and USMC SKU's would be classified under the MIL Spec as being Type II shotguns. The 20" 590A1 shotgun's everyone believes to be "the" military shotguns are Type I shotguns, "with heat sheilds and baynet lugs". The MilSpec also calls for a Rifle sighted "Type III" version, but I have not been able to find an reliable list of them having been procured in large numbers.

There are somewhere between 23,000-30,000 Mossbergs in service depending on your source. FMS sales cut out of the contracts make it hard to determine the exact count without access to LIW or TACOM records. Of those appoximately 95% or more are of "Type 2" configuration. About 1,000 20 "Type 1" configured shotguns were in service off of a one time buy several years ago.

Recently a large command "over hauled" for lack of a better term 1,302 of their Mossberg shotguns. During the process they converted an odd assortment of everything from standard 500's, 20" 590A1's and even some plain 20" 500's into 14" Compacts with several other modifications. The base FCG was retained. These would properly be classified as "Type II" shotguns also.

As for your original question I believe the actual requirement document requesting the change to the heavy barrel walls and metal FCG are lost in the dusts of time. The Mossberg shotgun does not have a PM which manages it or it's requirements. Therefore tracing the source would be difficult, but that is the generaly accepted basis of were the heavy barrel wall on metal trigger group came from. Banging things against bulk heads and all those other objects inside a ship can be hell on any piece of equipment.

My old unit has been banging 500's around since 2001 with no major issues. The configurations remain an issue, but hopefuly we will be able to fix that soon.;) Training, that's another story:(

Thanks for the run-down DMR; do you think there is a chance we will ever see a steel receiver on the 590 in the future? Just curious.

Where can I get that rail/foregrip/pump in the picture? That looks SWEET!!!!!!!!!

m24shooter
08-30-10, 14:44
Thanks for posting here Rob, I knew you could give way more detail.
I hope that standardization does get done soon.

DMR
08-30-10, 14:46
Thanks for the run-down DMR; do you think there is a chance we will ever see a steel receiver on teh 590 in the future? Just curious.

With enough demand yes, but given that Mossberg made it to their 10,000,000 500/590 shotgun shortly after Remington did with the 870, despite a significant head start by Remington............ I doubt it.

Slater
08-30-10, 14:47
This outfit produces a heat shield for the 590A1. Does anyone know if the heatshield for the 18.5 inch barrel is the same as for the 20 inch barrel?:

http://www.aimprotactical.com/16873/20285.html

DMR
08-30-10, 14:49
It's not. Mike, at AimPro/Mossberg LE Service Center, makes those custom for the 18" 590A1's and for the breaching barrels. He does not currently make them for the NFA models. He is also one of the few sources for the factory 20" heavy barrel heat sheilds.

Slater
08-30-10, 15:06
Heat shields look cool, and they can prevent you from grabbing a hot barrel, but I suppose they've kind of fallen out of favor for combat shotguns (to some extent).

DMR
08-30-10, 15:59
The "Type I" requirement was a legacy requirement I believe. Shotgun procurements dating as far back as WW I called for bayonet lugs and heat shields to support bayonet fighting. In that context they make sense I suppose, but do not reflect the modern usage of shotguns(or most other small arms).

Many users also prefer the heft and balance of the 590A1 over the 500. The 590A1's heavy barrel make for a heftier system that is slightly nose heavy. Some Mossberg hatred have remarked it feels like a real shotgun. The 500's lighter barrel makes for a comfortable, light weight, carry it all day shotgun. The captive mag spring design is idiot proof, but also makes it harder to service than the 590's design.

Slater
08-30-10, 18:32
These are two 590A1 variants off of Mossberg's website. They're billed as "New", but the one appears to be a Plain-Jane, bead-sighted A1 with a 20 inch barrel. Mossberg has never released this particular version before?

(I think it's kind of cool, if probably impractical, that the other version includes an M9 bayonet):

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/51660.jpg
http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/50771.jpg

ryanm
08-30-10, 18:52
I have the SPX at home, the LPA sights are nice. The bayonet looks menacing but I'd hate to be in a situation where I needed a bayonet on a shotgun!

This is one of the few guns I didn't dick with and just left as is from the factory. I guess I thought there were other improvements to the 590A1, it racks smoother than my 500s and the trigger group is substantially heavier comparing with a 500.

http://zugzwanged.org/dat/weapons/docs/man/mossberg_500.pdf

Article from tactical life
http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/mossberg-590a1/

THCDDM4
08-31-10, 10:34
Does the XPS in the picture above have a ported barrel? It look slike ports to near the front of the barrel/front sight. I have the 590A1 SP; never seen teh XPS, and I was unaware of a model with a ported barrel...

DMR
08-31-10, 10:41
The 500 SPX and 590A1 SPX both have factory ported barrels. They are the only two sub-24" factory ported barrels made by Mossberg.

pezboy
08-31-10, 12:09

The base M-500 is a matte blued version of the Mossberg SKU: 50411-9 末 Synthetic; includes Pistol Grip kit 末 18.5" 末 Bead 末 CYL 末 6 末 12 末 Blue

You can also find with in the USMC and Navy a version of the 590A1 SKU: 51411-8 末 Synthetic 末 18.5" 末 Bead 末 CYL 末 6. The Navy/USMC guns can be found listed has having 17" or 20" barrels, but being an Army guy the civilian equal is the 51411-8.

Do you know if there were or are any of the 20" bayonet lug models with heat shields used by The Army? Do you have any details on the 14" models? Specs or pics?
Dustin

DMR
08-31-10, 12:19
Do you know if there were or are any of the 20" bayonet lug models with heat shields used by The Army? Do you have any details on the 14" models? Specs or pics?
Dustin

Type I shotguns, "with heat sheilds and bayonet lugs"...........
About 1,000 20" "Type 1" configured shotguns were in service off of a one time buy several years ago.

Of those Type I shotguns many are now 14" shotguns.

I have all the specifications, back story, ect, but can't discuss at this time.

pezboy
08-31-10, 12:44
Of those Type I shotguns many are now 14" shotguns.

I have all the specifications, back story, ect, but can't discuss at this time.

Thanks. I'm checking out Stick's pics and your website right now, looks like some good upgrades.
Dustin

Slater
09-01-10, 07:35
Below is MIL STD 3443G. It mentions that a metal trigger guard is a requirement, but not specifically a metal safety switch. Were the plastic ones just too prone to breakage?:

https://assist.daps.dla.mil/docimages/A/0000/0000/3853/000000041101_000000168623_KYKAOEYYNF.PDF?CFID=17119135&CFTOKEN=77953506&jsessionid=5c301a1381768d8bcbc86c2e4a6b4667b272

DMR
09-01-10, 08:51
While correct per the 1993 spec, most of the Army shotguns in the field have the plastic FCG. I believe this is because Mossberg showed the plastic FCG met the performance specification, so the material spec was waved.

The shotguns were purchased under a performance specification so there is quite a bit of room for the materials.