PDA

View Full Version : HK 45 "Review" Video

Jay Cunningham
07-03-07, 07:48
H&K 45 Review on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ybRq9Empk)

Sort of amusing "review" of the HK 45; Vickers and Hackathorn mentioned. Nice views of the pistol, though.

Watch the "soldiers" in the beginning - I'm assuming they're models - really strange F'd up grip some are using. (my apologies if they are actual active duty)

The two reviewer guys at least seem like they've shot a pistol before, though I'm not sure about the whole chambering a round using the front cocking serrations technique...

TOrrock
07-03-07, 08:09
Gotta be models.

Thanks for the heads up.

VA_Dinger
07-03-07, 10:23
Very interesting.

Great shots of the handgun just ignore the people talking or their shooting techniques.

I cannot wait for the HK45 to be released. The one I handled & shot was very impressive.

olds442tyguy
07-03-07, 11:16
I used to really want one of those. Now I'd probably opt for a G21SF.

Cool pistol, other than the Gucci/Spiderman collaboration grip. Having the USP redesigned by people who actually know what they're doing was a good move. Disreguarding those people and hiring a fruity lysp having fashion team add in their two cents was a big mistake.

I know, looks don't matter. But a wise man once said "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mofo". :cool:

Dport
07-03-07, 12:26
Two words came to mind during the intro: Trigger and Slap.

Gun-nut
07-03-07, 14:03
though I'm not sure about the whole chambering a round using the front cocking serrations technique...

What's wrong with using the front cocking serrations?

I've taken several classes from this guy and he makes a good point about using the front.
http://www.tigervalley.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=0

If using the rear is better, please educate me. Most people I've met have no reason in using the rear other than "that's what everyone else does"

Thanks,

Dport
07-03-07, 14:10
Basically, using the front serrations gets your dickskinners too close to the muzzle. It's a better safe than sorry thing.

Gun-nut
07-03-07, 14:20
Basically, using the front serrations gets your dickskinners too close to the muzzle. It's a better safe than sorry thing.
Makes sense, but shouldn't your finger be off the trigger when your doing this?

Dport
07-03-07, 14:32
Makes sense, but shouldn't your finger be off the trigger when your doing this?

Sure. However, the more things that have to go wrong before a mishap occurs the safer you are.

1SFG
07-03-07, 16:39
I used to really want one of those. Now I'd probably opt for a G21SF.

Cool pistol, other than the Gucci/Spiderman collaboration grip. Having the USP redesigned by people who actually know what they're doing was a good move. Disreguarding those people and hiring a fruity lysp having fashion team add in their two cents was a big mistake.

I know, looks don't matter. But a wise man once said "Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mofo". :cool:

I seriously doubt HK had anything to do with this review other than perhaps providing the gun to a bunch of industry people for T&E purposes.

nickdrak
07-03-07, 16:54

If using the rear is better, please educate me. Most people I've met have no reason in using the rear other than "that's what everyone else does"

Thanks,

Nothing "Wrong" with using the front serrations for chambering a round, it just makes more sense to use the rear serrations by doing the same movement that you would use for doing a malfunction clearance, as you would for chambering a round (and visa-versa). The only valid reason I have ever heard to use the front serrations to chamber a round is "Because Steven Seagal does it":p (jk)

VA_Dinger
07-03-07, 17:04
I've seen some very well trained shooters use front serrations for press checks.

Gun-nut
07-03-07, 17:48
I've seen some very well trained shooters use front serrations for press checks.

Most of the people I have seen use the front serrations are far better shooters than I am, and I don't think I'm all that bad. (I'm not saying I'm great either :) )

Nickdrak: "The only valid reason I have ever heard to use the front serrations to chamber a round is "Because Steven Seagal does it" (jk)

Did you watch the video in the link I provided?
He uses the front serrations to get back to his grip quicker. Speed can be the difference between life or death in some cases.

All of these are valid points, I was just curious why everyone acted like it was a sign of someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Thanks for the input.

olds442tyguy
07-03-07, 18:43
I seriously doubt HK had anything to do with this review other than perhaps providing the gun to a bunch of industry people for T&E purposes.
I should have been a little more clear. My comment was in reguards to the people working for HK that decided to come in and change the frame to such measures, not the people who reviewed the pistol for this video.

Sorry about that. :)

I'd criticize the guys in the video but if I was in there place, all you'd see was a cloud of smoke and some smoldering foot prints in the carpet headed towards the door when the camera came out. :D

John_Wayne777
07-03-07, 20:12
Two words came to mind during the intro: Trigger and Slap.

Psst: We say "El Snatcho" around here....

John_Wayne777
07-03-07, 20:15

I thought that was their raison d'ętre.....

I've not seen to many people use them to release the slide from lock, however....

Dport
07-03-07, 21:39
Psst: We say "El Snatcho" around here....

I reserve that for flinches of Biblical proportions.

nickdrak
07-03-07, 22:31
Did you watch the video in the link I provided?
He uses the front serrations to get back to his grip quicker. Speed can be the difference between life or death in some cases.

Yes, I watched the video. I was joking with the Seagal comment BTW;)

A couple of things trouble me a bit with the techniques used on the video, but in order to keep things on-topic, I will keep it to myself unless someone wants to start another thread in the training forum....

Jay Cunningham
07-03-07, 23:07

I've taken several classes from this guy and he makes a good point about using the front.
http://www.tigervalley.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=12&pos=0

I've never seen front cocking serrations used for anything other than a specific method of press check.

I looked at that video clip. I've never seen that method of malf clearance using the front of the slide. My initial thought on seeing that is that it would be easy to cover your hand with the muzzle.

Check out this thread:

The official “Everything Else” Handgun Picture Thread. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3032)

Look at all of the different pistols and tell me how many you see have front slide serrations? Now tell me how many have rear serrations? I happen to like pistol manipulation techniques that work across platforms. Performing a front press check on a pistol without front serrations can be very difficult. Try doing this with sweaty or bloody hands and you'll see why. That's also why the "slingshot" method that guy demo'd is IMHO less than optimal - less surface area in contact with the slide with possible sweaty, bloody, wet hands.

Different instructors teach different techniques and they all have their reasons. At this point in time I have been convinced that manipulating the rear of the slide with an overhand grip is the best way to load, clear malfunctions and perform an eyes-on press check. It puts the most surface area of your hand in contact with the rear slide serrations, and it works on every semi-auto pistol. I am open to being convinced otherwise at any future date.

VA_Dinger
07-03-07, 23:24
I reserve that for flinches of Biblical proportions.

:D

Damn funny.

nickdrak
07-03-07, 23:34
Look at all of the different pistols and tell me how many you see have front slide serrations? Now tell me how many have rear serrations? I happen to like pistol manipulation techniques that work across platforms. <snip>

I am open to being convinced otherwise at any future date.

Well, that about covers it!

dialM4murder
07-12-07, 19:12
I enjoyed the video. The guys that were in it(the hosts) frequent the XD forums.

*If your form allows you to hit accurately, then do what works. Everyone cant be Bruce Gray. :p