PDA

View Full Version : Remington 7 mm mag build

Dirk Williams
08-30-10, 18:01
Seriously considering building a Remington 700 7 mm mag tactical. I have a couple of newer long actions on the bench.

Anybody have an informed oppinion on the merits of the 7 mm mag for tactical application.

Surf were you talking about the 7 mag a few months ago?

Trued 700 action.
Krieger #9 barrel.
Manners stock. maybe a ACIS
Jewel trigger
Brake
Big lug.

D Williams

MechEng
08-30-10, 18:34
I've often thought about doing this. One merit I can think of is there are many good bullets out there with great BCs that shoot extremely flat. The Berger VLD 168gr & 180gr come to mind.

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/7mmNumberOne.pdf

Dirk Williams
08-30-10, 20:33
Ive read some stuff on the 7 mag and found it interesting in terms of accuracy and bullet selection, and BC.

This may sound retarded but I got or re-got the idea after re-reading Tom Clancy's "Ranbow-Six" a few weeks ago while on down time.

The American shooter, shoots a 7mag and Clancy goes briefly into the ballistics and reasons. Given his articulate eye for exact detail, I wanted to work some of those rounds up for fun and to see if they are solid. Without reviewing that chapter I seem to recall the bullet was a 168, which I thought odd at the time.

After re-reading some loading data in Sierra's loading books I see that it is likely do-able.

Anyway winter's coming and I need a project that goes bang with 2.5 pounds of pressure.

Have a great night.

D Williams

TomD
09-01-10, 15:08
Since you already have long actions, the old 7 rem Mag is a good choice but that is a biased opinion since that is what shoot. The bullets you mentioned are good but do check out the Hornady 162 gr AMAX.