PDA

View Full Version : DDM4V1

fatdan81
08-31-10, 08:47
i'm a newbie here with a new DDm4v1 with the Omega X Rail 12.0FSP handguards. what i'm thinking of doing is replacing the front sight post with a flip up front sight gas block and putting on a flip up rear sight on. then i will install an aimpoint. does this make sense to anyone? (again, newbie here) or does anyone have any pictures of a set up similar to this that they can post?

TriumphRat675
08-31-10, 09:45
I would leave it alone. You've got an excellent out of the box setup right there. The fixed front sight is as robust as you'll ever get. You can mount lights in the optimal 12'o'clock position. You've got plenty of rail space. The fixed front site will not interfere with an Aimpoint.

Before doing anything else, buy the Aimpoint and try it out. Then make the decision to swap out the front sight.

THCDDM4
08-31-10, 09:55
^I agree. Leave the front sight on. I've got a DDM4 V1 and I am gonna get an aimpoint soon. The iron sights on the DDM4 are great and there are different mounts/risers to co-witness your aimpoint/eotech etc. with the iron sights; so I have been told.

I mount my Light at the 3 o'clock position though, for me it makes no sense to mount a light at 12 o'clock; a light can be a potential target (In the dark if I am looking for a BG with a light, he could potentially see the light and shoot for it knowing I am right behind it somewhere) for a BG and if you're at 12 o'clock the BG has a better chance of aiming at your light and hitting you than if you have a 3 o'clock for a righty, or 6 o'clcok for a lefty. Since the light will be opposite of you there is less chance of getting hit if the light is targeted. I know there are a lot of variables here; but I think it makes sense to keep a potential "target" for the BG's as far away from my body/head as possible. YMMV.

Magic_Salad0892
08-31-10, 09:55
If you're not going to run suppressed I'd leave the front sight alone.

If you were I'd say run a Noveske Switchblock.

500grains
08-31-10, 14:04
i'm a newbie here with a new DDm4v1 with the Omega X Rail 12.0FSP handguards. what i'm thinking of doing is replacing the front sight post with a flip up front sight gas block and putting on a flip up rear sight on. then i will install an aimpoint. does this make sense to anyone? (again, newbie here) or does anyone have any pictures of a set up similar to this that they can post?

I did that to 3 other ARs and regretted it later.

The military FSP is very strong and durable. Since you are using an aimpoint, I assume this is to be an entry weapon, and therefore you want maximum durability. Don't worry about seeing the front sight through your optic because after a couple of hundred rounds it will just blur out of existance. You can also put your Aimpoint in a Larue high mount so that you have 1/3 cowitness, thus placing your front sight lower in the optic picture.

As for a flip up rear sight, there are lots of good options out there. Seems to me all you need is the aimpoint, a good mount (hint: Larue), and a good rear sight.

JR TACTICAL
08-31-10, 14:20
I agree with all the above, take the money you were going to spend on new sights and gas blocks and get some ammo and take a basic carbine class

fatdan81
08-31-10, 16:06
that pretty well answer's my question. thanks for all the input! I have a rra that i bought a few years ago without knowing anything about ar's. the guy sold me an a.r.m.s. flip up rear sight and an aimpoint. i will be switching that over to the new DD as soon as i get a mount that raises it up a bit.
another question...is there any reason to have the flip up rear sight if the DD fixed rear sight doesn't interfere with the aimpoint? do flip up sights have any issues with holding zero due to more moving parts?
I'm also thinking of putting on the aimpoint magnifier on a base like the larue pivot mount. if i do this is it a good idea to stick with the same manufacturer for both mounts?
what i want to do with this rifle is have the aimpoint (or possibly an eotech) for my primary use, then have the option to magnify for those hard to see targets and then have the BUIS just in case.