PDA

View Full Version : A big thanks to all here.

SubCaliber
08-31-10, 13:54
A short while back I began toying with the idea of getting my first AR. My research on what I should get led me to AR15.com and then here and a few other places. I may not have posted here but I have spent a great deal of time reading the information here. Especially that about brand quality and features and what each is and why it's desirable or not etc. I'd just like to thank all those that took the time to put together such a wealth of information. Before I came here I would have rated Bushmaster, DPMS, etc as top of the line because in the shooting shows I see on TV they seem to be prominently featured. I guess that's advertising money at work. Then I started reading more and more.

I am happy to say that as of this morning I am a proud owner of a new LMT Compliant CQB MRP Defender Model 16 (I live in NY). Whoo Hoo! Thanks again! :D

500grains
08-31-10, 13:59
Congrats on choosing quality. You will have a lot of fun.

What do you have to do about mags in NY?

SubCaliber
08-31-10, 14:39
Use 10 rounders OR simply buy any of the easily found pre-ban 20's and 30's that are out there. ;-)

TreeFarm
08-31-10, 18:08
I could of posted about the same thing as you did, lots of great info on this site. Been reading for a couple months but just registered the other day and ordered a BCM upper and lower last friday, but the lower wont be here till next Wed, giving me time to research cleaning and maintenance and put together a cleanup kit and buy some ammo.

FrostedOrange
08-31-10, 18:23
Same story here. Got my first AR in April after much painstaking deliberation. I'm a daily lurker here, but usually keep my head down as others here have more informed comments to make than I. Stick, if you read this, love your pictures man.

BlueOvalFan
08-31-10, 19:12
"...Got my first AR in April after much painstaking deliberation. I'm a daily lurker here, but usually keep my head down as others here have more informed comments to make than I..."
Same here too! Gotta admit I'm a M14 junkie and just finished my first AR too. Lot's of good info here...

markm
08-31-10, 21:06
No pics? :rolleyes:

SubCaliber
08-31-10, 21:52
Soon LOL...

mvician
08-31-10, 21:55
No pics? :rolleyes:

newbs still don't know the rules :sarcastic: these threads are worthless without pics

SubCaliber
08-31-10, 22:15
Just the one for now..

http://starbase4.com/album/albums/Private/normal__MG_1814.jpg

LONGBOWAH
09-01-10, 08:02
Hard to go wrong with LMT.

In fact, both of what I consider to be the top manufacturers both start with "L".

LCoan
09-01-10, 08:04
Yeah, Bushmaster and DPMS are a big nono. I'm still quite mad at Bushmaster for wrecking the MASADA........A 1.9 twist, REALLY?

SubCaliber
09-01-10, 08:17
Hard to go wrong with LMT.

In fact, both of what I consider to be the top manufacturers both start with "L".

What's the other one? I know I am a big fan of Leupold too but I am not sure that's the L you were referring to.

Icculus
09-01-10, 09:30
What's the other one? I know I am a big fan of Leupold too but I am not sure that's the L you were referring to.

I'm not 100% sure since Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, and Noveske all don't start with an "L" ;) but my guess is he means LWRCi

Enjoy your new rifle man.

kaltesherz
09-01-10, 12:04
I'm not 100% sure since Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, and Noveske all don't start with an "L" ;) but my guess is he means LWRCi

Enjoy you're new rifle man.

...or Larue...

Congrats on your new rifle and for doing your research. 99% of people who decide to get into ARs would have bought a DPMS, Olympic, or Bushmaster (this includes a surprising amount of Military / LE as well) and boasted they were just as good as Colt, then, if they failed under hard use would have blamed in on the weapon design, not execution.

LCoan
09-01-10, 12:33
...or Larue...

Congrats on your new rifle and for doing your research. 99% of people who decide to get into ARs would have bought a DPMS, Olympic, or Bushmaster (this includes a surprising amount of Military / LE as well) and boasted they were just as good as Colt, then, if they failed under hard use would have blamed in on the weapon design, not execution.

Make that 99.9.......9...

Blstr88
09-01-10, 14:26
Same story here too! Been checking out the site for months now and finally picked up a Daniel Defense last week! I probably would have gotten a DPMS or BM too if it werent for this site, and the DD cost the same as those other brands!

LCoan
09-01-10, 14:48
Same story here too! Been checking out the site for months now and finally picked up a Daniel Defense last week! I probably would have gotten a DPMS or BM too if it werent for this site, and the DD cost the same as those other brands!

DPMS is horrible, and same with Shrubmaster, I've been using Daniel Defense, and well, it's pretty much Delta class stuff. Don't EVER go to AR-15.com It's a bunch of Paintballers and airsofters. We're glad you joined this site.I go to AR-15 for a laugh or two.:D

SubCaliber
09-01-10, 15:03

Yeah my second option was a DD fully built lower they had. That would have been cheaper than this particular LMT but I really liked this LMT so... it's mine...

SubCaliber
09-01-10, 15:08
We're glad you joined this site.I go to AR-15 for a laugh or two.:D

Actually I found this site from that one. Someone had linked to "The Chart" which pointed me here. I did actually find some good info there but yes as with any forum site you have to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff and the brand loyalists (aka FanBoys) from the educated and objective. To some extent I think they exist everywhere. My goal now is to get out and shoot this thing. :-)

Magic_Salad0892
09-01-10, 16:07
IMO, KAC, LMT, BCM are the best. You made a great choice. :)

SubCaliber
09-11-10, 15:47
OK Here are some real pics. I wanted to wait until I got my grubby little paws on some pre-ban magazines but now that I have here are some better pics of my baby.

http://starbase4.com/album/albums/Private/normal__MG_1921.jpg

http://starbase4.com/album/albums/Private/normal__MG_1912.jpg

http://starbase4.com/album/albums/Private/normal__MG_1917.jpg

http://starbase4.com/album/albums/Private/normal__MG_1919.jpg

http://starbase4.com/album/albums/Private/normal__MG_1918.jpg

Grease Monkey
09-11-10, 17:34
Very nice!

Magic_Salad0892
09-12-10, 03:25
No muzzle device?

MTechnik
09-12-10, 07:39
No muzzle device?

He lives in NY.

SubCaliber
09-12-10, 08:30
He lives in NY.

Quite correct. You can have one here but it must be a compensator and not a flash hider and it must be permanently mounted. Most Mfg that do make NY compliant versions have simply opted to leave them off and not deal with it. When I move out of NY I will simply replace the barrel and the stock.