PDA

View Full Version : How to blacken laser engraving?

Polymerhead
08-31-10, 19:08
Say I wanted to remove the superficial laser engraving on a standard AR lower receiver - would alumablack work? Anyone ever tried? This isn't removing the identification marks on the gun or anything, but I'd like to get rid of some laser engraving like you would get out of a low-power trophy shop laser, or like you see on "custom" lower artwork. Basically it's just through the surface finish.

If I use alumablack, is it going to be blotchy or discolored? Anyone have a better idea? I could dura/ceramacoat/moly it but I'd prefer to just darken the light engraving.

bvmbandit
09-01-10, 07:46
Do a search for electronic etching using a q-tip and wall wart...This may do the job quite well.

HTH,
Scott

Palmguy
09-01-10, 08:03
I doubt that Aluminum Black will work...I've used that on some anodized aluminum parts before and it didn't seem to phase the lasering.

mike_556
09-01-10, 12:50
Black laquer-stick should do it

kartoffel
09-01-10, 14:30
I've covered up the laser etching on flashlights with nothing more than a black sharpie. It doesn't look perfect but it cuts the bling, and you can always wipe it off again with some solvent.

bkb0000
09-01-10, 14:36
don't know if this will work, but i'll be trying it myself on a project- chemically strip the engraving and soak in concentrated rit dye.

colored aluminum is not much more than dying aluminum oxide, since hardcoating aluminum turns it black. therefor, i predict the aluminum oxide of the engraving (aluminum reacts with air to create a thin layer of aluminum oxide after exposed for a couple days) will accept an aggressive dye

Sweep
09-01-10, 20:44
We had a customer that wanted to remove the spiders off a set of spikes tactical . We soaked a cotton ball in aluma black and let it sit on the area then rubbed the engraving with the cotten ball it took repeated times but they did get black and disappear seems the trick is to let it sit on the area . I would at least give it a try

j_king
09-01-10, 20:59
We had a customer that wanted to remove the spiders off a set of spikes tactical . We soaked a cotton ball in aluma black and let it sit on the area then rubbed the engraving with the cotten ball it took repeated times but they did get black and disappear seems the trick is to let it sit on the area . I would at least give it a try

Similarly there was a guy on TOS that wanted to remove or "lighten" the BCM logo and Paul recommended cold blue IIRC.

orionz06
09-01-10, 21:02
Sharpie paint pens, they are amazing, I discovered them this weekend and that was one of the items I tried to color.

bkb0000
09-01-10, 21:54
Similarly there was a guy on TOS that wanted to remove or "lighten" the BCM logo and Paul recommended cold blue IIRC.

that would work great on the carrier, but wont have any effect on the receiver.

j_king
09-01-10, 23:42
that would work great on the carrier, but wont have any effect on the receiver.

Ahhh...you are correct. I should have read more carefully.

REDinFL
09-03-10, 15:13
Black laquer-stick should do it

That's right. They have them on amazon. Used to use those to freshen the engraving marks on old cameras (when cameras were worth working on, like 1930s Leicas). Surprised they still make it but I looked and there they were.

Good luck.

motorwerks
09-03-10, 16:36
i want to do this to the M&P on the side of my lower pretty bad. Tried sharpie already but it doesnt last.

Quiet-Matt
09-03-10, 16:49
These were done using BC Alumablack.
H1 Aimpoint logo did good.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TIFpxHYBcCI/AAAAAAAAGW4/U9AYp6Ege98/s720/mms_picture-1.jpg
BCM logo on upper only darkened enough to subdue it a bit. The flash makes it appear lighter than it is.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TIFrNQ0aPNI/AAAAAAAAGWk/ASH53ZLeBps/s720/mms_picture.jpg

mike_556
09-03-10, 18:58
That's right. They have them on amazon. Used to use those to freshen the engraving marks on old cameras (when cameras were worth working on, like 1930s Leicas). Surprised they still make it but I looked and there they were.

Good luck.

Should be able to find them at ACE, True Value, Mcmaster-carr, Grainger, etc.....Not sure about HD or Lowe's but Harbor Freight MIGHT carry it. I used it ALL the time in mil acft work...It works and it's laquer--and what a buck or two per stick?

michael word
09-03-10, 21:35
Sharpie paint pens, they are amazing, I discovered them this weekend and that was one of the items I tried to color.

I thought I was the only one to use a Sharpie to darken the engraving on my AR's. I guess I am not so different after all.:D

motorwerks
09-04-10, 02:26
this is interesting...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=466996

g5m
09-05-10, 19:21
Tag for a good thread,

Polymerhead
09-06-10, 08:17
So far I've degreased and tried a black sharpie, which works pretty good but isn't durable. After playing around with it, I used some solvent and removed all the sharpie and then tried a Birchwood Casey paint pen I had. It didn't work as well as the sharpie.

I don't have a lacquer stick, but I think those work better for engraving that has depth. Since there's nothing to fill in here, I don't know if a lacquer stick would work so well.

mike_556
09-06-10, 08:24
If it's engraved or etched it has a little depth--lacquer stick should do you fine.

orionz06
09-06-10, 08:28
So far I've degreased and tried a black sharpie, which works pretty good but isn't durable. After playing around with it, I used some solvent and removed all the sharpie and then tried a Birchwood Casey paint pen I had. It didn't work as well as the sharpie.

I don't have a lacquer stick, but I think those work better for engraving that has depth. Since there's nothing to fill in here, I don't know if a lacquer stick would work so well.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Sanford-Pens-Paint-Marker/dp/B00396ZO6M

"draw" over the etching several times, let it dry, wipe with solvent.